• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Credit card to hold reservations

PatDC

I really like dining at Corduroy, as does my husband. We've had some fine meals there. I made a reservation there for NYE about a month ago (at the time it wasn't clear whether it was prix fixe or a la carte). The gentleman I spoke to at the time agreed that I should call back a couple of days before to confirm everything. I planned to do that tomorrow.

We got a call a little while ago asking us to confirm our reservation with a credit card. That made my husband rather unhappy. I was a little more sympathetic, knowing that restaurants end up with no-shows on major days. It did seem (as my husband said) ill-planned. Waiting until two days before on a long-standing reservation seemed a bit off to me. I said I would call back tomorrow (didn't have the credit card at hand when they called, anyway).

Okay, I'm sure people here have abundant opinions on requiring credit cards to hold reservations. Go!

pat

edit. hope I caught all the typos...

Edited by PatDC (log)

here we go again.... :biggrin:

Actually, the caller did not ask your opinion,

he asked for your card number to reserve your table.

The question that also abounds, if you give your card, and fail to show in good faith, how much will they charge to the card?

Don't blame the restaurant.

Take responsiblity and be a good consumer, ask as many questions up front to avoid possible pitfalls down the road.

Now I ask this. you wait until tomorrow, and they become booked tonite.

Take out chinese on New Years Eve is always fun.

Happy New Years. :wink:

woodburner

Edited by woodburner (log)

Why is this a problem? You cannot imagine how many serious restaurants and not so serious restaurants around the world now do this because for all of them, far too many people simply don't show up. Frankly, if you plan on having dinner there it should not be a problem. If you are 50-50 then the restaurant is most definitely doing the right thing! I am sorry but I am surprised when I see a comment like this from someone who says they are serious about showing up. They are commiting their table to you; you have to make your own commitment to hold up your end of the bargain!

here we go again.... :biggrin:

Actually, the caller did not ask your opinion,

he asked for your card number to reserve your table.

The question that also abounds, if you give your card, and fail to show in good faith, how much will they charge to the card?

Don't blame the restaurant.

Take responsiblity and be a good consumer,  ask as many questions up front to avoid possible pitfalls down the road.

Now I ask this. you wait until tomorrow, and they become booked tonite.

Take out chinese on New Years Eve is always fun.

Happy New Years. :wink:

woodburner

It made sense to me that they wanted a credit card number, but it seemed kind of late for that. Why didn't they ask when I reserved? Why didn't they ask 2 weeks ago? Since they're not doing a prix fixe, I was wondering what they would charge (and was going to ask that when I called back. When I tried to confirm the time, she didn't even have that information, so I figured I couldn't go much further on the phone.)

The oddest thing was that I assured her that I really did intend to go and had no other reservations, but she seemed to think I wasn't going to show. It was an odd conversation. Maybe I'm the only person who's made a reservation there who really plans to show, but geez...I Like the restaurant! Maybe we should just stay home like we usually do, and I'll make a great meal here. Maybe that's what I should do. I usually hate going out NYE. I'm not sure why I even planned this.

Why is this a problem?  You cannot imagine how many serious restaurants and not so serious restaurants around the world now do this because for all of them, far too many people simply don't show up.  Frankly, if you plan on having dinner there it should not be a problem.  If you are 50-50 then the restaurant is most definitely doing the right thing! I am sorry but I am surprised when I see a comment like this from someone who says they are serious about showing up.  They are commiting their table to you; you have to make your own commitment to hold up your end of the bargain!

It's only a problem because I made the reservation a month ago. No one asked for a credit card number then. It was the same date then as it is now. December 31st has not changed on the calendar.

It made sense to me that they wanted a credit card number, but it seemed kind of late for that.  Why didn't they ask when I reserved?  Why didn't they ask 2 weeks ago?  Since they're not doing a prix fixe, I was wondering what they would charge (and was going to ask that when I called back.  When I tried to confirm the time, she didn't even have that information, so I figured I couldn't go much further on the phone.)

Perhaps they had a policy change in the interim? Or it was a new policy when you spoke to the person the first time and they forgot?

Most restaurants that ask for a credit card here in the Bay Area say they'll charge you a set fee per person if you don't show up AND don't cancel your reservation far enough in advance (some require 24 hours, others 48). The ones I've dealt with around here will charge your credit card, but will send you a gift certificate for that amount. So if you don't show up, you're buying a g.c. so you can not show up at some other point.

It's unusual for a two-person reservation, though Chez Panisse requests a credit card for any size. I usually have to deal with this because I routinely make reservations for large groups (8+)

Derrick Schneider

My blog: http://www.obsessionwithfood.com

You have to eat. You might as well enjoy it!

I always offer my first born male son as collateral but nobody will take him. :raz::raz::raz::raz::biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

And I certainly wouldn't give my card number out over the phone to some unknown person. (This isn't a slam against Corduroy--I worship at the alter that is Tom Power...)

At the very least it's poor planning on their part to ask so late in the game or it's a really cool scam someone thought up... Or did they dramatically overbook and are trying to thin the ranks by making calls...

If you decide to keep the reservation, I'd call and make sure to get name rank and serial number before handing over my card information. But that's just me!

Jennifer

I have no problem with restaurants asking for a credit card number but I also may have felt a bit annoyed if the asked two day's before the date. :hmmm:

Thank you. That was my point (or my peeve).

"assured her that I really did intend to go and had no other reservations, but she seemed to think I wasn't going to show. It was an odd conversation. Maybe I'm the only person who's made a reservation there who really plans to show, but geez...I Like the restaurant! Maybe we should just stay home like we usually do, and I'll make a great meal here. Maybe that's what I should do. I usually hate going out NYE. I'm not sure why I even planned this..."

You REALLY plan to show? Really?

I'm sorry but for me this is a ridiculous discussion. You are saying that you may not go because of this recent "requirement." You are having a problem since it wasn't mentioned to you a month ago despite your husband recently bringing it up.

I want to be very specific: for me it is your kind of attitude that causes others to have to guarantee with a credit card since so many simply do not show up. If you are serious about going on New Year's Eve, then go!!! Give the guarantee and Go! But, to hesitate and cause a discussion such as this is ridiculous. You are not showing that you really plan on going. It's that simple. This is an important night to this and every restaurant-you're not showing up is going to cost them money which in future years will be passed along to other diners like myself who do show up. Whatever the guarantee is, I am certain it will only be a portion of what you would have ultimately spent. There should be no discussion or argument about this. It's New Year's Eve!!! Why do you begrudge a restaurant protecting itself from others who threaten not to go like yourself?

Sorry for the hardline but I don't accept your reasoning. If you're going, you're going. Be glad you got in. Period. You are only providing confirmation for Cordoroy having done the right thing!

Edited by Joe H (log)

I'm sorry but this is a ridiculous discussion.

Not in my personal opinion. I don't think there are ridiculous discussions if they involve helping a member who has a concern she's able to express. A serious request was made for advice. Some answers and suggestions have been made. The only ridiculous thing would be to respond without trying to help. I'll accept that everyone so far has meant to help, in their own way, but dismissals of the discussion are not going to be helpful.

My perspective on the whole issue of reservations is that in parts of the world where we have so many no shows, it would be reasonable policy for places at the table to be presold the way theater seats are. You don't reserve a seat at the opera or ballet and not have to pay if you get sick or change your mind at the last minute, nor do you reserve at both the opera house and dance hall waiting to see your mood at the last minute.

Be that as it may, such a practice doesn't exist in DC, but I can't imagine anyone objecting to the general practice of asking for a credit card to hold a reservation on New Year's Eve of all times. That however, is not what this thread is about. This is about asking for a credit card a month after the reservation was made and two days before the dinner. On that issue, I don't think I'd be offended by the request. If it was reasonable a month ago, it's still reasonable and in fact, it actually offers the holder of the reservation almost a month to back out without penalty. I understand the shock, but I'm suggesting the request is probably not unreasonable. If you're determined to have dinner at the restaurant on New Year's Eve, this is the time to put up or back out. I actually have some empathy for the peeve, but if you consider that there was no harm to you in their waiting until two days before the event, should you feel peeved? I don't know. What I do know is that since there's harm, and I see no intent at insult, why would you forgo the pleasure you intended to have?

If you choose not to offer your credit card and not to go, it will convince the house that your committment wasn't firm in the first place. Put yourself in their shoes. If you do go, I'll suggest that when you offer your credit card, you also tell them that they should warn they will ask for a credit card when they call to confirm. Other good advice was also offered. Get the name of anyone to whom you give your card number. Better yet, ask if you can call back and give then the card number so you're sure you're talking to someone at the restaurant. By the way, I assume everyone asks for the name of the person to whom they are speaking when they make a reservation at a restaurant. It's far easier to convince the house they made a mistake with that information in hand, when you show up and they say you don't have a reservation.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

If you book a room at a nice hotel and don't check in, you pay.

If you book a ticket on an airline and don't turn up, you pay.

Why should it be any different with fine dining? Our size is smaller and our profit margins lower. We're just looking to cover ourselves, often times if the table can be resat you won't even be charged. I can understand why you might by annoyed that they requested your c/c info after the fact, but you must remember that new years is the creme d'la creme of donkey's night out. Don't hate the players, hate how the game now has to be played.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

This doesn't really address the substance of the thread, but you should absolutely suck it up and go anyway. We went there for Christmas dinner and can happily testify that Corduroy will astound-a where the others floun-der. (PS: They asked for a CC when we made the reservation.)

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

I really like dining at Corduroy, as does my husband. We've had some fine meals there. I made a reservation there for NYE about a month ago (at the time it wasn't clear whether it was prix fixe or a la carte). The gentleman I spoke to at the time agreed that I should call back a couple of days before to confirm everything. I planned to do that tomorrow

Discuss we must.

A couple of day's to me, is not the day before. Could have very well been a casual comment one month ago, such as " Just give us a few day's head's up to confirm".

Now we are down to the wire, and the reservant is waffeling.

Then a courtesy call is made by Corduroy, and a courtesy is was.

Still no confirmation by the reservant.

Want to guess who the first person to complain regarding not honoring a reservation made one month ago will be.

You got it.

woodburner

I really like dining at Corduroy, as does my husband.  We've had some fine meals there.  I made a reservation there for NYE about a month ago (at the time it wasn't clear whether it was prix fixe or a la carte).  The gentleman I spoke to at the time agreed that I should call back a couple of days before to confirm everything.  I planned to do that tomorrow. 

We got a call a little while ago asking us to confirm our reservation with a credit card.  That made my husband rather unhappy.  I was a little more sympathetic, knowing that restaurants end up with no-shows on major days.  It did seem (as my husband said) ill-planned.  Waiting until two days before on a long-standing reservation seemed a bit off to me.  I said I would call back tomorrow (didn't have the credit card at hand when they called, anyway).

Okay, I'm sure people here have abundant opinions on requiring credit cards to hold reservations.  Go!

pat

edit.  hope I caught all the typos...

Hi Pat,

The first time I was asked for a credit card to hold my reservations at an area restaurant was a few years ago at Makoto. I, too, was surprised by the request, perhaps even a little put off by it at the moment.

But I think it's a perfectly reasonable policy for a restaurant to implement, although I agree that the better policy would be to ask for the credit card when the reservation is made. Knowing what I know about Corduroy, however, they were probably so busy that they didn't think to do this at the time, then woke up one morning and realized that, yikes, New Year's Eve is fast approaching, and we can't afford any no-shows.

I'd be more surprised to hear of this type of thing happening at a well-oiled corporate machine, since they've got all the details planned for in advance and have the manpower to organize and control important events such as this. Corduroy, despite it being in a Sheraton, is still sort of a mom-n-pop operation with all of the accompanying charms and foibles.

Your question is perfectly reasonable, and I agree the timing seems a touch inelegant, but I'm certain that this is all well-intentioned and that you'll have a terrific meal if you go.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Given her indecision ("definitely" but "may not") don't you think it's understandable that perhaps in the course of the conversation that someone at the restaurant made the decision that this sounds like someone who may/may not show up and decided to protect themself? Or, most likely, that whoever took the initial reservation failed to ask for a credit card (when they should have) and the person who confirmed the reservation sought to correct this? Given the ambivalence of the post it would seem this is a good decision.

As for whether or not this is ridiculous I stand by my assertion that the ambivalence reflects this with the possibility that the restaurant without a guarantee would be the one who loses. Again, she is either going or she is not going. If she is then a guarantee is no problem. To maintain that it may be-regardless of the reason-is to admit that they may not go. With two days notice and the prospect of an empty table this will hurt the restaurant if they do not show up.

That's not ridiculous. That's sad.

I'm sorry but for a discussion like this for New Year's Eve at a more popular restaurant this discussion really does seem ridiculous to me. Perhaps that's too strong of a word but most popular restaurants are fully booked two days, even two weeks out. I think rather than debating this she should just feel grateful that they can still get in despite the oversight of not intiially have given a guarantee.

Where my personal impatience settles in is the ambivalence and changing of her mind. I am taking the perspective of the restaurant on the single most popular night of the year: two or more empty seats.

Edited by Joe H (log)

I really like dining at Corduroy, as does my husband.  We've had some fine meals there.  I made a reservation there for NYE about a month ago (at the time it wasn't clear whether it was prix fixe or a la carte).  The gentleman I spoke to at the time agreed that I should call back a couple of days before to confirm everything.  I planned to do that tomorrow. 

We got a call a little while ago asking us to confirm our reservation with a credit card.  That made my husband rather unhappy.  I was a little more sympathetic, knowing that restaurants end up with no-shows on major days.  It did seem (as my husband said) ill-planned.  Waiting until two days before on a long-standing reservation seemed a bit off to me.  I said I would call back tomorrow (didn't have the credit card at hand when they called, anyway).

Okay, I'm sure people here have abundant opinions on requiring credit cards to hold reservations.  Go!

pat

edit.  hope I caught all the typos...

Hi Pat,

The first time I was asked for a credit card to hold my reservations at an area restaurant was a few years ago at Makoto. I, too, was surprised by the request, perhaps even a little put off by it at the moment.

But I think it's a perfectly reasonable policy for a restaurant to implement, although I agree that the better policy would be to ask for the credit card when the reservation is made.

Knowing what I know about Corduroy, however, they were probably so busy that they didn't think to do this at the time, then woke up one morning and realized that, yikes, New Year's Eve is fast approaching, and we can't afford any no-shows. 

I'd be more surprised to hear of this type of thing happening at a well-oiled corporate machine, since they've got all the details planned for in advance and have the manpower to organize and control important events such as this.

Your question is perfectly reasonable, and I agree the timing seems a touch inelegant, but I'm certain that this is all well-intentioned and that you'll have a terrific meal if you go.

Cheers,

Rocks.

That's right.... Even Thomas Keller make's mistake's. Well maybe not. :blink:

Sure there was human error in the planning stage, and if it was my management call I would have likely swallowed the bullet instead of asking for credit card numbers at the time when most conformation calls are made.

But I agree with Rocks. Go and have a great time.

Robert R

I just wanted to add that when I made reservations at Firefly for NY Eve (this afternoon) they asked for a credit card (which I assume explains why I couldn't make it on Opentable)--I asked for cancellation guidelines and then gave them my number.

No problem with giving it when I know damn well whom I'm talking to. If they had called back five minutes or five days or five weeks later, there is no way I would have given it out over the phone..

I don't think the issue is asking for a cc, the issue is the way it was implemented in this case.

Just my two cents...

Jennifer

I just got off the phone with the General Manager at Corduroy. About three weeks ago, Tom Power decided to ask for a credit card at the time New Year's reservations were made, and there were apparently only a couple of people who had reserved before this point. Unfortunately, Pat was one of them, and so bore the brunt of the awkward request this evening. But based on the conversation I just had with the GM, there was no intent to be disrespectful or impolite; the person Pat talked with had simply noticed there was no card number on file and was trying to do her job. It's as simple as that. Honest!

Now go and drink heavily,

Rocks.

We did not require a credit card to reserve tables at our place and I have a feeling we going to get screwed. How do we as an industry reach a compromise? How do we cover our asses while not pissing off Joe (or Jane) Donkey who has no clue what happens away from there table?

At the restaurant I work in here in DC, normally reservations of fewer than 6 people are taken on faith and confirmed by phone the day before. New Years Eve is a special night. At our restaurant the reservations are faxed contracts and prepaid. N0 SHOWS don't figure into the equation. I will say this to PatDC, there is a lot of play on the reservation book on the last 2 days of the year. This may explain Corduroy's behavior.

Mark

Driving home tonight, after Don Rocks had called the restaurant to investigate for this thread, I was expecting to have to do a lot of explaining on eGullet. Most of the previous posts have stolen my thunder. Pat made plans for dinner at Corduroy on new years eve in early December, which was about a week before I did. Earlier this week I became aware of this post on Chowhound: Butterfield 9 or Corduroy for NYE, in which the poster stated that they had a reservation in both restaurants and wanted input about where to actualy dine. A few posts down that Chowhound told everyone that she was going to Ceiba for New Year's Eve. I then scrutinzed all of our NYE reservations for missing credit card numbers and called the people that had not given them. As I read that thread on Chowhound it brought back bad memories of too many no shows. I've seen the no show rate get as high as 22% which is out of control for a resataurant that doesn't want to over book tables and act like an airline. I wish we could require a credit card number for all reservations.

Corduroy charges $20 to your credit card if you don't show up. We ask that you call to cancel 2 days in advance but are very understanding if you have a good excuse later than that.

Pat, I apologize for not having my reservation system for NYE in order when you called in early December. I can understand your reluctance in giving your credit card number to someone claiming to be be calling from Corduroy. I'll consider your reservation confirmed unless I hear from you.

Tom Power