• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fairfield County Butchers, Fish, and Produce

fchrisgrimm

Can anyone make some good recommendations - especially for anyone selling organic meats? Though I am primarily concerned about the lack of a variety of cuts available here.

(The retirement of the Egg and I Pork Farm was a shame.)

I tend to pay for either the over-priced meat at Balducci's nee Hay Day, or go to Wild Oats. Neither has an especially broad selection. (And getting anything organic is an enormous challenge.)

A good Fairfield County fish market recommendation would also be valued. I've tended to be disappointed in the quality at Westfair fish. Swanson's is better - but not worth the longer trip for me (from Westport). I like the quality at Fjord Fisheries, but the selection is minimal.

Produce is much less of a problem. I highly recommend joining the Fort Hill Farm (organic) Co-op, which had a Fairfield drop-off site this year. They also sell at the Wilton Farmer's Market (though New Canaan's market is even a better source - six months a year, at least).

Is Rowayton Seafood still a seafood market, or just a restaurant now? Haven't been by there in a long time. Was in Rowayton Market the other day and saw they redid their layout to include seafood (and cheese!). Probably get their stuff from somebody local (or indeed, from Rowayton Seafood).

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Chris, I think there are too many cheese eating surrender monkeys at Balduccis in Westport. While you don't make the trip anymore from GCT, I found my best bet was to get my fish at Wild Edibles, my meat at Ceriello, and cheese at Murray's. I've had the same problems as you in Westport, and look forward to getting some help from others.

I second the Bonton rec. They are THE best fish purveyor in Fairfield county. Thats if you can get a parking spot on the Greenwich shopping mall.....oh, I mean Greenwich Ave. Whole foods meat counter does look quite nice ....sadly after 25 years on Greenwich ave., Greenwich Produce has closed it's doors. I guess they could not sell enough produce to pay the $37,500 a month rent!!!! Also, the Darien cheese shop does a nice job

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

I....sadly after 25 years on Greenwich ave., Greenwich Produce has closed it's doors. I guess they could not sell enough produce to pay the $37,500 a month rent!!!! 

When did they close????? That stinks.

They have a branch in Grand Central Terminal Market (yes, same company). I wonder if they closed as well.

I....sadly after 25 years on Greenwich ave., Greenwich Produce has closed it's doors. I guess they could not sell enough produce to pay the $37,500 a month rent!!!! 

When did they close????? That stinks.

They have a branch in Grand Central Terminal Market (yes, same company). I wonder if they closed as well.

No, the GCT store was still open, at least as of last week. They also have a store on RT 123 in South Salem, NY.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

Chris, I think there are too many cheese eating surrender monkeys at Balduccis in Westport.  While you don't make the trip anymore from GCT, I found my best bet was to get my fish at Wild Edibles, my meat at Ceriello, and cheese at Murray's.  I've had the same problems as you in Westport, and look forward to getting some help from others.

Wilson! You heretofore unknown e-gullet'er! It's like a secret life!

I will definitely check out Bon Ton. It was definitely easier to grab something at GCT on the way home, than it is to find the good stuff out here. Murray's is (obviously) a treasure. Though I was always hesitant to carry meat or fish on the train (at least in the summer!).

I must say that the unspoken and over-riding vibe I'm picking up is that, in the case of meat, we're hard pressed to find any that doesn't arrive at the store in plastic.