• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee + beer

I'm working on an article about coffeehouses that also serve beer (and wine, but I'm concentrating on beer). I know of several such places on Capitol Hill (Joe Bar, Red Line, Online Coffee, Capitol Hill Internet Cafe) and at least one in the U District (Solstice). Anyone know of others, especially in other parts of town? West Seattle? Ballard? Columbia City?

Thanks!

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Redline on Cap Hill...

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Would Sit 'n' Spin (2219 Fourth Ave Belltown) qualify?

It's gone, no?

On 2nd Ave. between Wall and Battery - Bellini (or something like that) I think they have a liquor license.

Cherry Street Coffeehouse? - 1st Ave.

Maybe the middle eastern place on 2nd - they have food, but it seems more like a coffeehouse. I'll have to walk by for the name, if you don't know it.

only Seattle?

Stumptown's downtown location (in PDX) has great coffee and an excellent Belgian Beer list (right now there is on tap Chimay Cinq Cents, La Chouffe, Dupont avec les Bon Veaux and one other i forget).

fanatic...

Would Sit 'n' Spin (2219 Fourth Ave Belltown) qualify?

It's gone, no?

Oops! I only went there to entertain out-of-town guests who were mildly amused at the thought of drinking beer while doing laundry. I haven't been by there since around 1997.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

It's not exclusively a coffee house, but Essential Bakery Cafe on Madison and MLK serves excellent lattes and 2 draught beer (usually Hale's and Manny's) plus wine and port.

~A

Strange. I've always found their espresso drinks insufficiently hot. I buy their pastry, but I usually get it to go and then make coffee at home.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Strange.  I've always found [Essential Bakery Cafe's] espresso drinks insufficiently hot.  I buy their pastry, but I usually get it to go and then make coffee at home.

Hm, I didn't notice that. But I'll cop to having a preference for not-so-scalding drinks. :smile: That said, you could always order your café "extra hot", no?

[Pardon the diversion. We now return you to the the topic...]

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Too bad Industrial Coffee in Georgetown is no more...

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I haven't been yet - but I know that Wonderbar in Wallingford serves espresso and cocktails. I assume they have beer as well.

Strange, I haven't had a need to seek out a place that served both coffee and beer :hmmm:

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

If Wonderbar is located on the corner of Wallingford and 45th across from the QFC I've been there and it sucked. I had the drip and it wasn't good, a stale croissant, attitude from the help, and multiple TV's playing ESPN at 11 AM. It was not a good experience. In fact, it made me want to order a drink to forget about it all. Hey, wait...

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Cherry Street Coffeehouse? - 1st Ave.

Yes, Cherry Street does have beer and I believe wine as well. Personally, I love this shop. I called it 'Happy Place' for years when I lived near there -- I'm not even remotely religious, but all of the spiritual ramblings on the wall have always made me feel warm and fuzzy in that non-human moment between waking up and having an itty bitty latte.

The food is decent to good and the service is almost always great.

It doesn't hurt that there's a hair salon almost next door and many of the patrons as well as employees frequent the place. :wink:

(edited to say 'lived near there' as opposed to 'lived there' -- I've never lived in a coffee joint)

Edited by jrt (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, posted Sunday but it's not here!

5th Ave, just off Denny - Bella Cafe has beer on tap, a wine list, espresso, and comfy furnishing.

Cafe Amore, next to the glassblowing place, has pizza and beer advertised - not sure if the beer is on tap.

Driving down Roosevelt today I saw a new place called World Cup Espresso and Wine, so not exactly beer but close. The sign said coming soon and they were looked like they were cleaning up and there was furnitture in the place. It's next door to the Continental Store.

Rocky

• 8 months later...

Mamster, just a quick question for curiosity sake. What's the typical lag time between finishing a piece on food/drink and getting it published? I'm guessing that 9+ months can't be typical. Or did you need to do several months of 'research'? :biggrin:

That was a good article. 50 bonus points for the Ted Leo reference. I am trying to place the continental store. Of course I mired on that street forever. Is Lucky Dog still open. They did a neat job and had good stuff in the beginning.

Edited by chefturnedbum (log)