• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My India trip

Monica Bhide

Hi all, sorry to have dissappeared for a while. I was in India on assignment and then took an extended vacation. It was good to be there and it feels good to be back.

It has been hard for me to start a thread on how wonderful my trip was since the news of the terrible disaster on that side of the world.

I hope you will forgive me if I choose not to post too much right now and begin to do so in a few days. Although I understand life goes on, it seems ridiculous for me to gloat about a great vacation at this point.

I do want to say that I have pictures and stories that i am sure you all will enjoy. I met with India's leading chefs, restauranters, food editors, and many more wonderful people and their stories are amazing

Thanks to all those who have kept the forum going, I hope we can drum up more energy here soon. :wub:

Best wishes

Monica

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Monica, glad your trip went well. Looking forward to your pictures and stories when you get to it.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Gee Monica - you had me really worried - glad to see you are back!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm just very glad that you are back, dear lady, and be assured I prayed very hard for everyone whom I've seen on eG from that area, because I know youall travel to and from a great bit. I am still at prayer, and my house has a multitude of candles burning. Although I am just now really exploring Indian cuisine, I am so truly impressed with the taste similarities with Native Mexica cuisine. Madhur Jaffrey is my newest guiding star. So be at peace with yourself, then post when you are comfortable.

Monica,

I went twice to India thirty years ago, and have always had vivid good memories. Today my wife directed me to look at your wonderful post about Mumbai and Delhi. Your photos are wonderful, as is your commentary. It brings back the feel of being on the streets of both cities long ago. I remember walking slowly from the patch of shade under one tree to another patch under the next tree. I used to buy iced mango lassi from the street vendors.

Thanks for the great message. I fell in love all over again. Next time I go, I will try to sleep in sheets, not on a bare charpoy with lizards hanging from the ceiling. They did keep the number of insects down, though.

Best wishes, Charles

Linda

-------------------

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it."

--- Henry David Thoreau

Hi Monica,

Welcome back.. I have been fascinated with the Indian Dominos since the first time it was discussed on this board.. I then saw some pictures from your latest trip from Dominos.. I was wondering if you ordered or saw anything that might be exeptionally good combinations.. I am an avid pizza maker and would love to add a few indian pizzas to the rotation.

I did actually - it was a pizza with colored bell peppers and Indian cheese (paneer) with some mild spices.. a fairly easy try for most folks. Also if you do a quick scan of the India forum, you will see I posted some pics last year of a tandoori chicken pizza that was excellent.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice