• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to prepare when you're pre-partum?

iamthestretch

My better half has a rapidly-rising loaf in the oven, and the timer is set to go off next week. I've cleared out the freezer and stand ready to launch a major cook-ahead offensive to try and stockpile the necessary sustenance to tide us over the initial shock and awe of first time parenthood. Except that I'm somewhat lacking in inspiration.

Blimp Girl is being no help, as she insists she intends to subsist on nothing but champagne, sushi, prosciutto and unpasteurized cheese once the gastronomic strictures of pregnancy are finally loosened a smidgen. But perhaps some of you could help fill out my recipe list, which currently reads: "Beef stew, chicken stew, lamb stew, lasagne, pasta sauces (assorted)"?

Thanks for the ideas already proffered here, although most were focused more on the whoops-it's-morning-time-for-an-upchuck stage of the great journey toward motherhood. I am thinking of getting a breadmaker and a slow cooker to assist in the culinary adventures ahead because, after all, if you can't use the birth of a son and heir as an excuse to acquire more household gadgets, then what's the point of the whole exercise?

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Soup? Lentil, chicken, bean, split pea. Bake some biscuits and corn muffins and freeze them to go with the soup. Whatever you do, be sure to portion into meal sized containers. It takes a long time to thaw a vat of soup that serves 20.

After Emma was born we found (and still use) a local organic veggie delivery service. They will also deliver eggs, milk, cheeses, herbs, and pasta, all organic. PM me if you want more details. It was nice to get groceries delivered because taking a newborn anywhere requires as much prep as a military invasion.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Individual meat pies always make a nice meal.

Also, have a cruise through Abra's food blog. I seem to recall that she took photos of some of the meals she made for clients. The same sort of meals would work for you, I would think.

Oh, and congratulations... :biggrin:

These are good suggestions. Yes to the slow cooker. I filled the freezer with prepared food for after Diana was born, and found that what I thought I wanted wasn't what what I necessarily wanted, so I made sure the pantry and freezer were full of ingredients for the next two. Stock. Meat. Canned and frozen vegetables. Pasta. Rice. And, when people asked if there was something they could do, I'd send them to the market for fresh stuff. If you can get produce and milk, etc. delivered, do it!

But, assuming you are going to be gone for a portion of every day, I'd worry more about keeping stocked up on things that will sustain her when she's alone with the baby. Things that are easy to eat with one hand. Things that won't burn the baby if she's eating while feeding the baby, or cajoling the little one.

And, please don't call her Blimp Girl, especially after baby arrives and the hormones go wacko.

Good luck! A wonderful adventure.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

You could make a batch of pretty standard meatballs that you could add to different gravies, tomato sauces, sweet and sour sauce, etc. Freeze meatballs so that you may remove as many as you need.

Theres all different kinds of enchilada-type dishes that freeze well. Shredded chicken/black bean and green chili is popular in my house. Maybe even a vegetarian option- roasted, mashed winter squash and/or beans and rice.

Maybe make a couple small loaves of pate since they freeze well, too. That would nice for a munchie-type of dinner. Bread/crackers, mustards, pickles, etc.

Stuff chicken breasts or thighs with various fillings. Feta, olives, etc. Mushrooms, herbs, gruyere. Wrap tightly in cling film before putting them in the freezer bags.

Be sure to chill anything you plan to freeze before popping it in the freezer. Freezer burn is yuck!

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

actually there is a question i would ask before i made any suggestion, having been a mom that did do this, will she be breastfeeding?...if she is...she will have some dietary limitaions...like onions...chocolate...things that might not bother her but would cause a great deal of colicky pain for your baby...those were just two items off the top of my head that i remember i wasnt allowed to eat...if she isnt going to breast feed..hey basically anything u can freeze that will keep and not get freezer burn is pretty much open territory..congrats on your new addition

a recipe is merely a suggestion

Variety, variety, variety. Make lots of different stuff so that you have a varied set of options. Remember also that having other things ready outside the freezer (spice mixtures for quick sautees; your favorite rices and pastas with good stuff to top/toss them with; fruits, cookies, pickles, nuts...) are worth having around. When's the baby comin'?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

OMG...if she's going to be breast feeding, NO ENCHILADAS OR CHILI! Easy on the garlic and onions. No cabbage.

I remember pasta being quite a comfort: lasagne (but NO garlic!) especially. I didn't want frozen so much as fresh foods: lots of stirfry, teriyaki chicken, brown rice....

And if you call her blimp girl, be prepared to sleep on the sofa....

I do question somewhat the limitations on breastfeeding foods. Mrs JPW and Peanut have had no problems with onions or spicy-hot foods or garlic, all of which I use with abandon. I think that it is more of an individual thing that depends on how Mrs Stretch and LittleStretch process and handle these foods. If it's stuff that you have been eating before and during pregnancy it shouldn't be a big deal. If something appears to be bothering LittleStretch then you'll need to take a look at MrsStretch's diet.

The easiest thing to do is to tell friends to bring you food.

:wink:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

OMG...if she's going to be breast feeding, NO ENCHILADAS OR CHILI! Easy on the garlic and onions. No cabbage.

I second that! Broccoli was also a problem.

And, oh yeah, congratulations! :blush: Forgot to say it in my last post.

Yes yes yes, stock up on things that can be eaten with one hand. That includes dinners, because junior will reliably want to nurse just as you're sitting down. Lots of snacks, cut up veggies, cheese cubes, etc., and plenty of bottled water. I have never been hungrier or thirstier in my life than when breastfeeding, especially at the beginning.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I do question somewhat the limitations on breastfeeding foods. Mrs JPW and Peanut have had no problems with onions or spicy-hot foods or garlic, all of which I use with abandon.

True. As in most things Your Milage May Vary. In my case, I couldn't tolerate garlic, onions, broccoli and the like, and had to quit spicy food because of severe indigestion. Of course, once the kids were born I could go back but both kids had bad colicky reactions. As Joe said, if something appears to be bothering LittleStretch then you'll need to take a look at MrsStretch's diet.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

My daughter was born just about a year ago. In the prior month, we would make extra dinner portions and stored them in the freezer. I think we made: lasagna, enchiladas, Bolognese sauce, beef bourguignon, and other similar heat-and-serve courses. This was our first baby, and we didn’t know what my wife’s appetite would be post-partum, so we divided all into 2-3 portion containers (maybe leftovers, maybe not). My wife and daughter didn’t have a problem with spice, onions, or garlic -- in fact, daughter was back to birth weight in 6 days...

What *really* helped was buying fresh food when family arrived to help. I remember having them help with the house while I cooked: cassoulet, leg of lamb, curry (with the leftover lamb), smoked a brisket, etc. My wife liked the freshly prepared food, daughter didn't mind the spices, and I found the cooking time to be helpful in giving me back some control over the situation. :smile:

My daughter and I have had no trouble with any of these (one year old and still breastfeeding). I ate plenty of spicy food, and my usual amount of garlic and onions. I did avoid large amounts of chocolate, and stopped eating shellfish because she got a diaper rash after I'd had mussels. I wouldn't eliminate anything you usually eat out of hand.

Heather and snowangel are right on about the snacks and finger foods. I really ate constantly during the first few months. Muffins and quick breads, cut-up fresh fruits and vegetables, cheese, crackers, yogurt, whatever she likes. Every day Matthew fixed plates of cheese, salami, and fruit to place next to the armchair that baby and I lived in. (The thing that never left my side was the hospital water pitcher, which had a spout for a straw and held a lot of ice water. Bring one home with you. It was my best friend.)

Hungry Monkey May 2009

I second the fresh veggie plate and water! If you fix this for her the night before, your wife will thank you as it removes much difficult decision making.

Also, go to the grocery and buy family size packages of chicken breasts and pork chops. On the weekend, line up you favorite marinades and sauces and make packages of 4-5 pieces with sauce. Label them well and pop them in the freezer. You can take a package out in the morning, cook with your favorite starch andveggies and voila, dinner and lunch for her(& you) the next day.

This worked well for us as we had no family near. Congratulations!

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

Soup?  Lentil, chicken, bean, split pea.  Bake some biscuits and corn muffins and freeze them to go with the soup. Whatever you do, be sure to portion into meal sized containers.  It takes a long time to thaw a vat of soup that serves 20.

After Emma was born we found (and still use) a local organic veggie delivery service.  They will also deliver eggs, milk, cheeses, herbs, and pasta, all organic.  PM me if you want more details.  It was nice to get groceries delivered because taking a newborn anywhere requires as much prep as a military invasion.

Emma, what a lovely name :wub:

anyhow:

how about ravioli

eggplant parm

bolognese sauce

ratatoulle

short ribs

fruit crumble

chicken pot pie

lasasgna

mac and cheese

chili