• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

John's vs. Tony Luke's

john b

i went to john's today at long last.  i'm still going with dinic's as my favorite, but dang that's a good sandwich.

the only problem i had with it was.... the sarcone's roll.  while i firmly believe that the flavor of the roasted sesame seeds on a sarcone's seeded roll will enhance any sandwich, sarcone's bread is too soft to really stand up to a roast pork sandwich.  by the time we got it to our car the bread had pretty much disintegrated on the bottom.  i'm thinking that sarcone's is really better for a drier sandwich, like a hoagie or at most a cheesesteak.  but a roast pork, roast beef or tripe sandwich is going to trash the bread.

tell them you want it dry next time