• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Egg Custard coo coo cachoo

mentalrph

At Christmas, I had a severe attack of holiday sentimentality & tried to make egg custard "like my grammama used to make". She used to bring it in a gallon milk jug. I remember it was smooth, cold & tasty to drink. So I tried a "rich custard" recipe from epicurious .com but it was funny ( not ha ha) tasting. I have a number of confounding variables; type of vanilla ( fake crap ), 2% milk, bad cook/technique, crummy recipe and/or a combination of the above. I might add that the texture & appearance were what I remember but the flavor was bad off.

I really enjoy the egg custard pudding that Picadilly (chain of cafeterias) serves in a cup although it's always a bit too nutmeggy. Wouldn't mind making something akin to that as well. But that's for another day.

Any suggestions? BTW, I almost always order flan, creme brulee', custards, chess pie & so on when dining out. What's yall's opinion(s) about what makes a custard-based recipe turn out well?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Kelly C

"Alex; I'll take symbols for a thousand"

{ding; the answer reads} "Elvis, Jesus & Coca-Cola"

"What are the three most recognized symbols in the

world?"

Kelly (KY) Cummins {kaywhy7@aol.com}

Hi, Kelly C! Were we separated at birth by any chance?? :rolleyes: I, too, love eggy creamy desserts! Creme Brulee Queen they call me ... :laugh:

I have to have the egg custard at Piccadilly (shhh!) on the occasions that I actually go there ... and, yes, nutmeggy to the extreme ..

I like the velvety smoothness of flan as well and always think that well made flan in a caramel coat is completely divine ... the egg mixed with sugar and cream produces the texture and taste you and I both crave .... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Could this be what we in the former colonies refer to as "eggnog"?

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Welcome, and I need to ask pretty much the same question. My grams made a shipful of custard, but it was always in custard cups, and was very warm, and definitely couldn't be carried in a jug. Are youall sure custard is what you mean? Cuz I could give you not only egg punch and custard recipes. But beware...nutmeg is a serious ingredient.

Sorry for my inadequate descriptions... Gram's "custard" was a viscous yet drinkable concoction that may well be closer to a nog in appearance yet not in taste. I do remember that it tasted much like custard yet didn't have that firmer

body... The epicurious recipe was NOT a baked item strictly oven/counter top but it did end up in an ice water bath.

I appreciate yall's replies and wish each and every one of you a bountiful new year!

world?"

I reckon I've never come across it, but, hey, it's given me something to scout for. I've just not ever run up against a drinkable custard. Sounds almost like a sweetened Lassi drink. When we were sprouts, we used to make our own 'eggnog' that was egg, milk, and vanilla, with enough sugar to gag a horse, I'm sure now, on reflection. But I feel that's not mentlrph's objective. Oh my; a custardy mystery!!

You reckon maybe that dear sweet granmama was slipping Tom and Jerry batter or syllabub in?

Edited by Mabelline (log)

"Boiled Custard" sounds right! :wub::wub:

AND yes, my dear deep dyed in the wool Methodist Gram lives in Pine Bluff, Arkansas! Her mental status is such that I could get a recipe from her. I know that she liked her after dinner liquers but I think she only used bourbon in one of her many types of divinity! She also made 2-3 fudges, a black walnut caramel roll with a creamy nougat and various other confectionaries. But I still loved the boled custard & caramel nut roll the best as I associate them with the holidays & my birthday.

Could someone enlighten me on how to make a boiled custard?

Thanks bunches

world?"

Here are two recipes for boiled custard similar to my mother's.

http://food4.epicurious.com/HyperNews/get/...s/15/4/1/7.html

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1640,147177-227202,00.html

It isn't really boiled, but cooked in a double boiler. I guess the name is meant to differentiate it from a baked custard. My mother heats the milk first, then beats the eggs , then tempers the beaten eggs with a little hot milk. The egg-milk mixture is slowly added to the remaining milk, then the sugar, salt, and vanilla are added. The custard is done when it coats the back of a spoon. Refrigerate then serve(in small glasses, it is very rich).

Love ya!

Mean it.

Thanks again...It's back to the kitchen I go.

world?"