• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Vegetables

helenas

I finally made to my local indian grocery and bought quite a bunch of different spices and produce so now i need help in identifying some of this stuff and also how to use it.

Tindora - cute small and striped: zucchini/cucumbers?

Tuvar - also cute and small: some sort of green beans?

I passed on valor... and karela :biggrin:

There were also some gorgeous looking big flat green leaves that i forgot to write the name of down...

Thank you.

I finally made to my local indian grocery and bought quite a bunch of different spices and produce so now i need help in identifying some of this stuff and also how to use it.

Tindora  - cute small and striped: zucchini/cucumbers?

Tuvar - also cute and small: some sort of green beans?

I passed on valor... and karela  :biggrin:

There were also some gorgeous looking big flat green leaves that i forgot to write the name of down...

Thank you.

Excellent! Thanx.

they were in bunch, looking very appetizing and all leaves were on the same level and more or less of same size...

EDIT: after some more reading and browsing i think this is a malabar spinach...

Interesting. Do you have a recipe you are trying out? Let us know if we can help

Happy 2005!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice