• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Bakewise" by Shirley Corriher

SethG

Shirley Corriher is a lovely lady and well-liked member of the food community.

The fact that she won this makes me think the cookbook judges were impressed with her idea but don't know enough about pastry to understand why this book is a mess.

It's a real shame, because Flo Braker's book was the better one in that category.

Not necessarily.

I wasn't going to post anything but that last statement of Anko's had me worried as do the southern biscuits that I just made from the book that are salty, greasy and heavy. Perhaps, I'm thinking, self-rising flour in the U.S. is different than here in Canada? Or maybe I don't have that "touch of grace."

I don't have bakewise and won't comment on in. The 'Touch of Grace' recipe though appears in Cookwise and IMHO are great, I think they are worth working to get right. Maybe this note from Cookwise will assist you...

"Notes: If low-protein Southern self-rising flour is not available, use 1 cup national-brand self-rising all-purpose and ½ cup instant flour (such as Shake and Bake or Wondra) or cake flour, ½ teaspoon baking powder."

"If self-rising flour is not available, use a total of 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder.

Do not use self-rising flour for shaping since the leavener will give a bitter taste to the outside of the

biscuits. "

Arturo