• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Argentinian sangiovese

Gus

Lunched at Richard Corrigan at Lindsay House in London last week, which was great. To drink we had wines by the glass and one of three options was a sangiovese from Argentina. Laugh at my ignorance, but I wasn't even aware they grew decent sangiovese in Argentina. Anyway, it was delcious, velvety and smooth. And at about £7 a glass in the restaurant, very reasonable.

So I emailed Richard Corrigan asking for the details, and they are below. But I can find almost nothing about this wine by googling, let alone where to buy some in the UK. Be interested to know what people make of it, or where I might find some.

“Villa Vieja”, La Agricola

Sangiovese, Mendoza, Argentina 2003

Google reveals it in at least one other UK restaurant. Wine-Searcher turns up zip, unfortunately.

sounds like La Agricola owns a number of other Argentinian properties, and there's a bit more here in Spanish on the winery, owned by the Zucardi family. strangely, i see nothing on the Zucardi web site about the Villa Vieja. (more on Agricola here too.)

otherwise, sounds like a mystery wine ...

Can't find it on Wine Searcher - suggest you contact the restaurant to see if they will give you the name of the importer.

Edited by 2roost (log)

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

• 6 months later...

Escorihuela Gascon makes some good Sangiovese, it may be available in your home markets under the Miguel Gascon Label.

The Familia Zuccardi estate mentioned above is most famous for its Tempranillo.

Visit Argentina and try wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes !!!

www.terroir.com.ar