• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's resolution time!

kieran

Last year my quasi- New Year's resolution was to make sure that my s.o. and I had some new food-related experience about once a week: new recipe, new restaurant, new ingredient, etc. A year later I'm feeling pretty good about how it went. I feel like we've tried lots of new things, found some new favorites, and pulled ourselves out of some food ruts.

It went well enough that I'm thinking about my new food-related goals for the coming year. In particular, I want to enjoy more local seafood in the coming year. I feel like I really underutilize what's around.

How about you guys? Any fun food-related goals for the coming year? New ingredients you want to work with / restaurants you're dying to try / dinner parties you're planning to throw / etc ?

Happy New Year!

(edited for -- what else? typo.)

Edited by kieran (log)

I resolve to try one new sushi restaraunt and one new pizzeria each month.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

As soon as my new 35 quart stock pot arrives (a gift from my sweetie!) I'm going to make classical demi, the mother sauces and all of the small sauces as detailed in The Saucier's Apprentice, one by one.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

I'm going to work on putting more time into working on my pastry skills. And working on my food writing. I'm going to eat more, enjoy more and worry less. Life is short. Eat dessert first. And make every bite count.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Sounds like you guys have some pretty fun food plans ahead.

One other thing we've been doing lately is cooking more with our neighbors -- just putting on a big ol' pot of whatever for whoever happens to be around (and between the two of us, the three guys next door, the one downstairs, and occasional significant others who happen to be around, we're talking a lot of food). Sometimes we cook and sometimes other people do, but we usually end up cooking communally like that at least once or twice a week. So one other thing I'm working on is finding fun, new recipes that I can scale up for the hungry masses.

Keep 'em coming, folks. I love hearing what y'all are up to.

I'm plan to go to more wine tastings and seek out wines that are new to me. When the weather improves, I'll do a taco truck tour. And I really need to eat more Dungies... :wink:

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Our recent resolution is to stop going to mediocre places just because they're convenient. Less Coastal Kitchen, Maguire's, and their ilk; more Cafe Lago (ok, that's just not possible), Harvest Vine, and Seven Stars Pepper.

We're going to vote with our pocketbooks, even if that means repeating ourselves and/or driving farther.

~Anita

(edited for clarity)

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Our recent resolution is to stop going to mediocre places just because they're convenient. Less Coastal Kitchen, Maguire's, and their ilk; more Cafe Lago (ok, that's just not possible), Harvest Vine, and Seven Stars Pepper.

We're going to vote with our pocketbooks, even if that means repeating ourselves and/or driving farther.

~Anita

(edited for clarity)

Our resolution last year was the same as yours this year. We decided that if we went out it would only be to a new or favorite restaurant with excellent attention to food and the dining experience or to the other extreme -taco trucks, Catfish Corner, Guaymas. No more mid-level restaurants that end up costing nearly as much as a great restaurant just because they're there. It's a waste of time and money!

We followed through very successfully on this "resolution" and visited many new restaurants (Rover's, Lampreia, Oceanaire, Matt's, Lola's, La Louisiana, etc.) and old favorites (Harvest Vine, Essential Bakery, Dahlia Lounge, Maximilien's). Our resolution this is year is to keep to last year's commitment. Happy eating!

After 15+ years of working in the office environment I resolved to tell my employer to take my job and shove it. My last day was December 17.

I'm changing careers and beginning the path to turning pro by returning to culinary school (Art Institute Seattle) to finish getting my culinary degree.

School begins January 10.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

After 15+ years of working in the office environment I resolved to tell my employer to take my job and shove it. My last day was December 17.

I'm changing careers and beginning the path to turning pro by returning to culinary school (Art Institute Seattle) to finish getting my culinary degree.

Wow, that trumps any of the various resolutions I was considering. Congratulations and best of luck.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

GOOD FOR YOU!!

I did the same thing to celebrate the year 2000. I blew off my nice FAT job on December 13 1999 to study pastry.

You will LOVE your new life! Good luck!

Wow, this is definitely more than I bargained for when I asked the question. Congratulations, and definitely let us know how it's going as you dive in!

Related: I like the notion of skipping mediocre, convenient places entirely. It's not always possible -- after all, sometimes what you get from a meal is the company, and people have different preferences -- but when I have some autonomy over my restaurant choice, I try to make sure that every meal is a meal I really want to be eating. Life's too short!

We rung in the new year with an omakase meal at Nishino on New Year's Eve. Is there anything better? I really think there is not... especially since my boyfriend proposed right before the dessert course. :biggrin:

...especially since my boyfriend proposed right before the dessert course.  :biggrin:

And???? :laugh:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

...especially since my boyfriend proposed right before the dessert course.   :biggrin:

And???? :laugh:

Ha! I said yes. I think his ulterior motive in asking me at Nishino was ensuring that we have to go back there regularly to celebrate. :biggrin:

Now I just need to figure out where to have the wedding...

congratulations keiran!!

i'm quitting my corporate job in june (shh) and planning to go to SCCC for culinary arts in Jan of '06. so my 2005 food-related resolution is monetary. i need to stop wasting money on food. i buy a lot of things to "try" that i don't end up finishing. i've had the luxury of being a little greedy. i think i need to take anita's wonderful resolution one step further:

the money i spend on food - both cooked at home and eaten out should count. i will choose carefully, and savor what i've selected.

now i just need to make sure that my solution isn't to just eat that block of truffle cheese...but just to try it at the store. :hmmm:

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

kieran --- Congrats!!!

Really Nice! --- Best of Luck, you'll do great!

Our Resolution BITES...

I have my first Weight Watchers Meeting tonight...I lasted all of 2 days the last time I tried it.... :sad::sad::sad:

I raise my glass......of water to all of you. Happy New Year!!!

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Best of luck with your new career and life path!!!

I am going to stop eating expensive take out at the office, and spend more time preparing my own lunches.

I am going to stop mocking vegetarians, and maybe learn a few dishes because it can't be ALL bad. Vegans still suck. Maybe I'll stop mocking them next year.

I am also going to stop drinking so much. It has gotten a bit out of control in the past six months (Stupid holiday parties. Stupid out of town boozer houseguests.), and now I'm on a cleansing diet to get all the toxins (and water retention) out of my body. It makes me cranky, and it means I can't eat as freely as I am used to. No more ginger cookies and coffee with my sunday NYT. No more garlic mashed potatoes. No more mac and cheese. No more fondue. All banished until I can button my jeans without sucking in again. More quality time at the gym I guess, but I like working out, so its not too bad. I just need to watch myself because I don't want to have to do this again, especially with a beach vacation coming up...

You go, Johnny! :biggrin:

Congrats on a good decision (I made a similar but less dramatic one two years ago and haven't had a moment's regret). Do keep us posted on school!

Oh, and my resolution is to stop eating various kinds of shite masquerading as food: lousy candy at the office, my daughter's occasional Dunkin Munchkins, fried junk appetizers. As my wife wisely suggests, I'm trying to make sure those unwanted calories are quality unwanted calories!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Here's to a new year of true appreciation and enjoyment of the sustaining things in our lives. May your beverages cheer you, your 'groceries' comfort you, your chosen lifepath make you glad that it's what you do, and your friends make you feel you are the luckiest person in the world for having them.

Best wishes for everyone who's deciding to change their careers. The world needs many more people who are content.

I'm going to learn how to cook meat as well as I can cook vegetarian dishes.

Also, I'm going to shoot for something less than the three cases of food poisoning I gave myself last year in my less resolved attempts. :blink:

I've joined a gym and will stick with it. Heh, after working all day in a bakery, I can walk in there with the best "perfume".

I resolve to choose the wine I drink more carefully and not just have what everyone else is having.

Also? I want to see if I can get away without eating at any fast food or Friday's/Applebee's/Outback etc. all year, and force my friends into more interesting eating. Most of the time I end up there, it's because no one has a better idea and it's close, and I regret it every time.

I have this dim notion of getting some sort of job so we can afford to eat out more often. I'm not sure that it's yet at the level of a full-fledged resolution though :laugh:

Congrats to all those who are either getting married, or leaving their corporate gigs to pursue something more fulfilling, or both. :smile:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845