• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1986 Thomas Hardy's Ale

john b

Back in college, a local shot and a beer bar (patronized by the locals,not the college kids) started to draw a college crowd by selling $1.00 imported bottles every Wednesday night. Trying a bunch of these beers is what got me into the beer thing. After running through the list at the bar ($1.00 for a big Paulaner Hefeweizen?!?!), we found out about a liquor store across the river which had a wine and beer cellar. Every few weeks, we'd go to the store and buy a six pack of whatever beers we had never heard of. When I saw the hang tag on the Samichlaus (World's Strongest Beer!) and Thomas Hardy's (Rarest Beer in thr World!), we HAD to buy them.

I knew nothing about beer at the time other than, "It tastes good," or "This sucks!" I read the label on the Hardy's, which explained that the beer could be aged for twenty five years. I drank one and thought, "Strong, dark, sweet...I'm not sure about this one." I don't think I liked it, but it didn't suck, either. So, I put the remaining bottles in a paper bag, took the bag home and put it in the closet. Somehow, the bag didn't get thrown away and I got it back when my mother gave me one of her many "Whatever you don't take out of the house this weekend gets thrown out next trash day" edicts.

I decided that the holiday weekend would be a good time to try one of my two remaining bottles of this beer. I shared it with my cousin, who homebrews and worked as an assistant brewer at a now defunct microbrewery in PA.

We cracked it open last night. Wow! Eighteen year old beer! Intense chocolate, toffee and raisin aromas. Most, if not all, of the carbonation had dissipated over the years. It was intensely sweet and viscous, no noticeable hops. I was amazed that a beer could hold up this long.

So now I'm down to one little bottle. I think I'll wait until 2006, it's 20th birthday.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Hide it away for another ten years! Here are some tasting notes I wrote last year at this time when my friend Pete shared some vintage beers including '74 and '75 Thomas Hardy's!

Thomas Hardy’s (1975) - Yep, that’s right, 1975! Pete dusted off a few vintage bottles for us to try.

PFFST on opening, always a good sign! Beautiful tawny, copper color. The aroma is malty, with hints of smoke, wine and bitter chocolate. Smells like the bottom of a well-used barrel. Salty, leather, tobacco flavors merge with licorice and caramelized raisins. The smoke turns to bacon-like flavors. It moves like mercury in the snifter. The flavors are almost maduro cigar-like. This is a well-worn boot; it fits and feels so good! Outstanding beer!!

Thomas Hardy’s (1974) – Another from Pete’s collection! It’s cloudy, almost chunky in appearance. Raisins and plums are prevalent in the aroma, followed by a hint of smokiness and some alcohol in the nose. Some lactic, vinous components in the flavor hit first, followed by the same leather and tobacco as in the ’75 version. This one finishes quicker, with some tartness balanced by a candi sugar sweetness that merges into a dry finish. Exceptional!

These beers were the highlights of the evening, a tasting event that included 15 BIG beers. I am always on the lookout for vintage Thomas Hardy's but will likely never experience any as fine as these two!

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!