• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Year's specialties?

bavila

So I've promised some of my Maryland friends some Louisiana fare for New Year's Day. My family usually did gumbo and or black-eyed peas and steamed cabbage. I figure I'll do chicken and sausage gumbo, and black-eyed peas and rice, but I was hoping someone might have an interesting suggestion for cabbage. What do/did you Louisiana folks do traditionally for New Year's fare?

Merci, et Bonne Annee!

Bridget Avila

My Blog

I make a cabbage and tasso dish that my grandmother used to make. No recipe, really, but I use a heavy skillet to saute a cup or so of the trinity (or just chopped onion) in bacon grease til the vegetables are soft, then I add cabbage (1/2 to whole head, sliced) and saute that for a few minutes, seasoning generously with Tony Chachere's (or your favorite combinations of salt and red and black peppers). Throw in some tasso, sliced up, lower the heat, cover, and let simmer til the cabbage is to your desired doneness. If you can't get tasso, use some andouille sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces.

This recipe sounds very plain, but it is delicious, especially if the cabbage caramelizes a bit.

Oh, and I also cook up some Hoppin' John (blackeyed peas cooked with ham hocks, served over rice) and some skillet cornbread.

Edited by patti (log)

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

I do all of the usual stuff, but have added a dish that is now a regular on New Years day. I highly reccomend it.

Blackeyed pea fritters with Red Pepper Relish

Easy to make. Warning! Don't use fresh peas. Follow the recipe.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I do all of the usual stuff, but have added a dish that is now a regular on New Years day. I highly reccomend it.

Black Eyed Peas with Red Pepper Relish

Easy to make. Warning! Don't use fresh peas. Follow the recipe.

That link will not open for me.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

thanks, that one worked. Looks good and sound good. It is on my positively will do this year list. thanks again

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!