• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turkey Legs

winesonoma

I love this time of year, turkey legs $.79 a lb. I've made them ossobucco style and tonight I'll just do them in the oven alone. What else can you suggest. See what your market has them for. These were fresh organic. :biggrin::biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

...I've made them ossobucco ...

Oh! That sounds great!

So do you just sub them for the shanks? Is it as simple as that?

You can also use them in lamb shank recipes. Timing is a little different. Wish I had a smoker. :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Turkey legs? Best consumed mightily while gazing upon a joust.

Been there done that. :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Turkey leg confit?

I asked my Butcher today about duck fat. Called a duck farm yesterday and they said never, the clients want the whole duck. Still looking with the price around $10 for 7.5 oz at the gourmet places. :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

I have bought turkey legs before and just used them for turkey enchiladas & turkey salad (as opposed to chicken salad for a sandwich).

In the summer we have actually smoked them in the smoker in the backyard and had a bid ol'bbq. But then again, your post is in December so that probably won't work out too well right now. :cool:

Just thinking out loud here but could you do some sort of turkey caccitore (sp)?

I purchased turkey legs right after Thanksgiving when they were about .79 /lb. Roasted them at about 350 degrees, cooled and removed the meat for soup use. Cooked down the bones as I had done with the whole turkey to make more stock. Used all the meat and stock from our full size turkey and still had another turkey soup recipe to try. Worked out really well for a decent price. Amazed, that instead of trying to figure out how to use up all the turkey, I am now trying to get more turkey pieces to get more stock, meat etc. Kay

Roast legs. Shred/chop meat and crispy skin.

Add to mushrooms roasted with thyme, rosemary and garlic.

Add turkey/mushroom mixture to roasted cubes of winter squash. Chopped chives, nuts and cheeses optional.

Layer between sheets of phyllo dough (brushed with clarified butter, of course) in a 9x13 pan (score top into individual servings), form into triangles, log or?

Bake in a 350 oven for about 40 minutes or until golden.

Serve with creme fraiche, especially if you don't include cheese in the filling.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I asked my Butcher today about duck fat. Called a duck farm yesterday and they said never, the clients want the whole duck. Still looking with the price around $10 for 7.5 oz at the gourmet places. :biggrin:

How about $7/lb?

http://www.secure-kew.com/grimaud/display.mv?1099018927

How about $5/lb? :smile:

Market just called $3.99 lb un rendered. How hard is it to render? :biggrin:

Edited by winesonoma (log)

Bruce Frigard

How about $7/lb?

Not hard at all. Put in a double boiler and melt until is flows and skim the junk off the top.

Living hard will take its toll...

Check out the confit of turkey leg here. I did it and liked it and I don't like turkey. The oil is incredible for salad dressing and sauteing.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

How about $7/lb?

Not hard at all. Put in a double boiler and melt until is flows and skim the junk off the top.

Check at an Asian market. I looked at the stores here in Seattle and finally found one (Uwajimaya) that sells solid duck fat for $1.69 a pound. I get about 11 ounces of liquid out of it bringing the cost to around $2.40 a pound. Just put it in a large pot over low heat and let it melt away for an hour or so. Tilt the pot and use a turkey baster to transfer it to 1 oz containers and freeze. Great with sauteed potatoes, apples, cabbage, garlic confit, mushrooms, and any other fall items requiring fat in its preparation.

Two pounds might be enough to make a turkey confit.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

And for what it's worth, I made a duck terrine tonight and decided to render the fat. One 5-lb duck gave about 15 ounces of rendered fat.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera