• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Dinner

If you are not living in India and are having a dinner for friends... what are the first steps in getting organized?

1)  Is  there a best way to get prepared?

2)  How many dishes would one make?

3)  How does one choose what to make?

4)  How do you serve the dishes?

5)  Is seated a good option, plated by course or do you end up serving a buffet and letting people self serve and come to the table?

If I am making dinner for friends, I try and prepare at least six dishes sometimes more.  

I have a few staples

Mustard Fish ( recipe on another thread )

Red Lentil Dhaal

Yellow Lentil Dhaal

Kasmiri Chicken ( an anglo indian Korma )

Vindaloo ( Hot & Sour Goan style )

A Hot prawn dish of no particular provenance

Dry Vegetable ( with patch puron spices )

Dhansak

Plain Boiled Basmati Rice

Breads ( usually Chapati and Roti )

I think this gives a variety of regions and styles and also a good supply for Veg'n and Non Veg'n alike

The key ( as with all cooking I guess ) is freshness, but I think people forget that the spices must also be as fresh as possible.  I hate using powders and try and grind as much as possible as I go.  I do not buy any of the ingredients until the day.

I tend to make these meals in other people's kitchens as my flat is quite small and we always eat family style, sometimes sitting on the floor which is a great way to eat and reminds me of sitting on those vast beds we used to take our meals on in Calcutta with 20 of us all fighting for the food while the servants ran round topping everybody up.

To drink, we stick to Lassi ( two types; a salty one with cardamom and a sweet one with Mango ) or bottles of Cobra.

Would love to know what aothers do

S

Suvir

I have served two lentils at dinner on many occasions as I think they can be two quite different dishes.

The red lentils I make just with a little turmeric and ginger and onion and then sprinkle a tiny amount of my own gara masala on top.  I also make it the Bengali way ( runny and with lemons in it as it cooks )

The yellow lentil is made with a cumin and cinnamon and I am rather liberal with the ghee before serving which makes it a very rich dish and not to everyone's liking, so I like to have an alternative

S

and where are those reservations made?

What do you eat in those places?

Well, my most often repeated Indian restaurant experience for a group is lunch at Dimple, a kosher vegetarian Indian place in the Garment District of Manhattan (the original is in Queens). It's great for groups and the vegetarian items seem particularly well suited to the lunch buffet. For dinner, it's usually on East Sixth Street in Manhattan, because it is a risk-free proposition to dine there: Everything is so cheap, you can try whatever dishes you like without economic impact. So I order diversely; the bigger the group the better. But usually I wind up gravitating towards the breads and the items from the tandoor oven. I know, I know: My experience of Indian cuisine is greatly impoverished.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Buffet at Dimple... now, now... I will be quiet.

I do go to Dimple.. Not as often as I would like to.. but every now and then, when friends and I are craving spicy street food, I will opt to not cook at home and instead treat everyone to Dimples version of chaats ( various street foods ).

I end up treating, as I feel guilty that I did not prepare the dishes at home.  As most friends expect from me and really crave for.  But at Dimples, I am able to enjoy without feeling too tired to eat.

Their street food dishes are better than other things they offer.  But Indian street food needs a daring soul.  Not all dishes are hot, but you have to be able to enjoy many layers of flavor and texture.

Now as I write this, I am salivating for it.. Literally.. And I shall go make some Bhel Puri.

Next time you are at Dimple.. go try some of their Street foods... and ask for Masoooma.  Tell her that crazy Indian man for whom she makes the special green chili pickle says hello.  Masooma is one of the three Indian women making these dishes behind the counter.  She is the oldest in that group.. and enjoys feeding me as much as I enjoy being fed by a loving person.  She makes a quick pickle with hot chilies they do not use for all guests.  She picks some of these and then sends them into the kitchen to be stir fried.  And I eat them as a side with the many dishes we eat.. We order more than we should ever eat.. Eat it all and come home stuffed, rolling and complaining.

I agree about Dimple - It is good for street food - a.k.a Chatpati stuff. Papri,ragda patties,chole bhature -- and If you warn the cook to hold the ghee -  Mooli-ke-prathe.

I'm with Steve - reservations w.r.t Indian food. You know today marks six-months since I have cooked any dinner in our apt.

anil

Is that something we shoudl congratulate about? Or do you want us to nag you to cook more at home, Anil?

But yes, I love the chatpata stuff at Dimples.  And that is all.  And as you mentioned, the Bhaturas are good.  Chanas are good at times.. bad at others...

Mooli Paratha.. ... nice.. have to try that next time.

Holy shit, Suvir (pardon my Indian, er, French), I just had a flash of inspiration (don't let it leak out to the other boards just yet, though): Why don't we do the first New York eGullet dinner at Dimple? You could set us up with something awesome, right? And it would be totally economical. They've got that upstairs space as I recall. How many people do you think can fit up there? I can't remember, is Dimple BYO?

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Dimple is one of the few Indian places in NY I approve of and since I am coming into NY on the 15th for a few days and then again on the 28th for Book fair, please count me in if it is in any of those weeks.

Heck, I might even bring some rabri, mishti doi and ras malai with me for us all to sample

S

Should we plan a sneak attack, Simon and Suvir? Let the India board step in and take over the whole process and just declare the dinner? Simon, are those dates in March or April? Let's do it, guys.

Okay, I won't be in the city for any of those dates, but let's either plan it for a time when Simon will be around (in which case I'll catch up with everybody at the second dinner), or what about April 1 or 2? Does that conflict with any other holidays?