• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pineapple vodka

wagyuboy

My girlfriend asked me to make pineapple vodka (she used some goofy rhyming name involving Stoli, but it's just pineapple vodka), where you cut fresh pineapple into a couple mason jars, fill it up with vodka, and let sit at room temperature for about a week. Has anybody heard of this? Is it any good? Should I use canned with syrup in order to give it that sugary kick that cute girls at a new year's eve party crave? Should I use decent vodka or would that be a waste 'cause it's going to be sitting in pineapples for a week? If anyone has advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hummm, this is a new one for me. I make citrus vodka for Christmas presents and have been known to infuse watermelons with vodka for a summer treat but I haven't heard of this. I do think that if you were to do this it might be best to let it "develop" in the frig but I don't know how cold it is where you are and it's too warm here to not refrigerate. I'd suggest using fresh pineapple if you can get it and be aware that this could all turn out badly in terms of taste. I certainly be sure to consume it rather quickly as it could go off. I wouldn't break out the Chopin to make this (that would be considered criminal in our house!) but I wouldn't get the really cheap stuff either. Maybe compromise with Finlandia which is actually quite good and affordable.

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

They make the Stoli Dole (Dole pineapple) at the Capital Grille chain. It's pretty tasty. Cram a jar full of pineapple & pour vodka over. Let sit for at least a week. Drink the vodka. Eat the pineapple. :raz:

Works nicely with tequila as well. I infused mine for a couple of months, didn't bother to refrigerate as I did not add any water to dilute the alcohol. No worries.

I like the pineapple fresh vs. canned if you can get good fresh. Personally, I like a bit of sugar in the infusion, but you could add your own sugar syrup after you've infused if you think it needs any.

There's a whole thread on vodka recommendations and infusions <here>. It's an excellent resource and basically the general consensus is that if it ain't good drinking vodka, don't infuse with it.

Enjoy!

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

There's a whole thread on vodka recommendations and infusions <here>.  It's an excellent resource and basically the general consensus is that if it ain't good drinking vodka, don't infuse with it.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the link and more info on pineapple vodka - something new to try! BTW, nice cat :biggrin:

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

Yah, just noticed you are from Oahu, so finding fresh pineapple should not be an issue!! :raz::laugh:

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Hands down Skyy works best for pineapple vodka with fresh pineapple in little cube/wedges.

I just make mine in a pitcher or glass container by letting the pineapple sit for 3-5 days in the

fridge and serving it nice and cold in glasses from the freezer. The chunks are incredibly

POTENT!!!!!!! I told my friend about this and he then made pineapple sorbet with the chunks for

a very lively dessert. This is one of the favorite things to do for us. By the way, I know for a

fact that GlossyP makes a killer citrus vodka and how the decorative skewer of citrus rinds gets

in the bottle I'd like to know!!!!!! a hui ho :laugh:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004