• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[SEA] Need duck legs, pork belly

Good morning!

I'm off of work this week and have decided to participate in the eGullet Cook Together. We are making cassoulet and I want to make my own duck confit. I always see whole duck but does anyone know where I can just get legs? I've never asked so possibly this is not a big deal for Don & Joe, AJ Meats or Whole Paycheck??

Also where can I buy duck or goose fat in the city?

Thanks!!

Don and Joe usually have duck breasts in their freezer, so I would bet they have legs too. With a couple of days notice they can get just about anything, possibly including a nice big jar of duck fat, so I'd give them a call. Their number is (206) 682-7670.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I've gotten duck legs for cassoulet at Whole Foods, but thier supply is sometimes limited so I'd call, and by all means support Don & Joe's first if possible. Has anyone tried the new butcher who went into Crystal's old space?

Ooh it never occured to me that Don & Joe's could order duck fat for me. I always do my confit in a mix of pork fat with however much duck fat I've saved up over the year...

So who else here in the NW is doing the Bourdain cassoulet Cook Together? I'll be doing my annual cassoulet extravaganza at the end of January, so I wasn't going to join in, but now that I think about it, it would be interesting to see how his recipe compares with the one I use. (from Bruce at Le Gourmand with my own modifications)

Eden

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Wendy -- Right by your house! University Seafood & Poultry sells duck fat for something like $5 a pound. I thought it was a pretty decent price.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

ms. ramsey....DUH! I totally spaced on that!

Well I found the duck legs and duck fat at Whole Paycheck. They have quite a few packages of duck legs and breasts fyi.

Will hit the ID on Wed to try to find the pork products. Can anyone recommend a particular grocery?

wendy,

can you do me a favor and take a picture of that pork belly when you get it? as a recently reformed vegetarian, i have absolutely no idea what different cuts of meat are called or look like raw. :wub: thanks...

the best thing i ever made in my whole life was cassoulet. it was years ago and i used the recipe in the Joy of Cooking. i had made a goose for christmas and used the carcass for stock to cook the beans...bought lamb and sausage and i think salt pork?? and used left over goose. it was amazing - enjoy the process! i loved the steps and the smells - it was heavenly.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Ooh it never occured to me that Don & Joe's could order duck fat for me.  I always do my confit in a mix of pork fat with however much duck fat I've saved up over the year... 

Eden

You can buy solid duck fat at Uwajimaya for $1.69 a pound. You'll get about 11 ounces of liquid per pound bringing the cost to about $2.40 a pound. To render it separate the pieces and put it in a pot over low heat for about an hour or so.

Also what about pork belly and pork rind??? Are these staples at most butchers?

You can also buy these at Uwajimaya. I think the pork belly is about $2.25 a pound. I bought a bunch last year to make my own bacon via a cold smoker.

can you do me a favor and take a picture of that pork belly when you get it? as a recently reformed vegetarian, i have absolutely no idea what different cuts of meat are called or look like raw.  thanks...

This site has a diagram of a pig and its primal cuts. They also have cow and deer. Here's one for lamb. You can find more by performing a search on Google for <animal name> "primal cut".

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

can you do me a favor and take a picture of that pork belly when you get it? as a recently reformed vegetarian, i have absolutely no idea what different cuts of meat are called or look like raw.  :wub: thanks...

It looks like a big hunk of bacon, unsliced.

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

In addition to Uwajimaya (land of unusual animal parts :biggrin: ) you can also find pork belly at the Central Market. (I didn't check but I think it might cost a bit more.) And of course D&J can order it for you.

Where are you getting your tarbais beans?

Looking forward to reading about your cassoulet!

Eden

We get duck legs at USP also. Last time I was in, they gave me a choice of two different varieties: pekin and I missed the other one. Probably Muscovy. Usually they've just had the pekin, but they're great. I try to keep them in my freezer at all times.

You will be hearing more from me on this topic in a local publication in February. :wink:

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Hi Mamster, I don't know what USP is??

Found the pork products at Uwajimaya, how fun is shopping there?? Totally cool.

Anyway I am well on my way to cassoulet. Hope to see some of you cooking along!

Not mamster, but I'm guessing "University Seafood and Poultry"?

Hi Mamster, I don't know what USP is??

Found the pork products at Uwajimaya, how fun is shopping there?? Totally cool.

Anyway I am well on my way to cassoulet. Hope to see some of you cooking along!

Not mamster, but I'm guessing "University Seafood and Poultry"?

DUH! smaking self on forehead!

lmf -

just saw this - thanks for posting the pictures. just as anita said...it looks like a big unsliced hunk of bacon.

but fresh, right - not cured in any way? it's a lovely looking piece of meat. where is it from? i'm wondering if any one who's also had the pork belly at lark (or made it as a star dish rather than an accompaniment) can help me out with the preparation.

i remember not liking the abundant fat, but loooving the tender meat. is belly usually braised? wendy's looks much leaner than what i was served at lark...did mine need sit ups or is er...plumpness encouraged in pork belly?

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Reese I got the pork belly at Uwajimaya. It's the first time I ever had it so I can't comment all the differences. But it was uncured and the layer of fat was quite thick. I've never had it in a restaurant, are you suppose to eat the fat? (sorry if that is a dumb question!)

Yup, it's totally uncured unless otherwise mentioned. It's also sold salted but not smoked. Salted (cured) and smoked belly = slab bacon.

Yes, you eat the fat. :wub: Although it mostly melts away into unctuousness.

For recipes of all sorts, search on “Pork Belly” in the eG ‘site search’ window. (I bought twice as much as I needed for my New Year's day choucroute garnie, and wanted ideas on how to use up the rest.)

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

• 4 weeks later...

Can you get tarbais beans anywhere around Seattle besides ChefShop? (They're out)

Turns out I just used up the last of my haricots de soisson for the first batch of cassoulet & have another batch to make on Monday, so while I could just use great white northerns, if anyone in town had Tarbais I would love to experiment...

Time to go back to Paris & buy more soissons! :laugh:

Yup, it's totally uncured unless otherwise mentioned. It's also sold salted but not smoked. Salted (cured) and smoked belly = slab bacon.

Yes, you eat the fat.  :wub: Although it mostly melts away into unctuousness.

For recipes of all sorts, search on “Pork Belly” in the eG ‘site search’ window. (I bought twice as much as I needed for my New Year's day choucroute garnie, and wanted ideas on how to use up the rest.)

~Anita

Oh yeah, kau yuk (steamed red pork with taro) is delicious stuff indeed! Haven't seen that on any menus at any Chinese restaurants in this town, though? Anybody know of someplace that might serve this? Don't want to have to wait until I go back to Hawai'i to eat some!

Thanks.

Miulang