• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi in Boston

slbunge

I'm looking for a top notch sushi restaurant in Boston. I'm considering Oishii in Chestnut Hill, Fugakyu in Brookline, and Oga in Natick. (Not considering Uni because we were fairly recently at Clio. Also not considering Osushi because it is around the corner and we have eaten there fairly recently as well.)

Anyone have any strong recommendations? Am I missing another notable restaurant?

As of today, Oishii is in the lead but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

I'm looking for a top notch sushi restaurant in Boston.  I'm considering Oishii in Chestnut Hill, Fugakyu in Brookline, and Oga in Natick.   (Not considering Uni because we were fairly recently at Clio.  Also not considering Osushi because it is around the corner and we have eaten there fairly recently as well.)

Anyone have any strong recommendations?  Am I missing another notable restaurant?

As of today, Oishii is in the lead but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

I back Oishii over Fugakyu. I have been to both places at least three or four times. But I have to say that the toro at Oishii can be uneven. When it is good it is very good, but I have had it stringy. The black cod with ponzu sauce is excellent.

By the way have you located a supply of Wahoo on the mainland? I am going to Hawaii in a couple of months and am planning to stock up, but if I can get it here, why burden my baggage?

Edited by VivreManger (log)

Well, my Wahoo connection is actually in San Diego but I will be seeing them in January. The family has connections to the Albacore fishing fleet and and friends bring them Wahoo either when they stop in Samoa or if they have traded for it when at sea. I'll have to check on the San Diego stockpile and see if I can get some.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

• 5 weeks later...

IF you are focused primarily on the food, Oishii is the hands-down best sushi value in the Boston and New England area, maybe even the East Coast, in my opinion (the closed rivals I can think of are Nobu in NYC and Sushi Ike in Hollywood).

Chef seems to spend much more time at the much more spacious location in Sudbury than at the cramped, usually overcrowded original spot in Chestnut Hill. It was a real pleasure this past summer to watch him discuss the merits (or not) of the dried seaweed wrappers he was receiving with his supplier one afternoon -- what passion he has for excellence!

Make the trek to either one a priority, and try to sit at the sushi bar if possible. The ankimo (monkfish liver) I had in Sudbury recently was world class -- the baby hamachi with chili peppers is another outstanding original, as well as Geoffrey's maki roll...and so many more...go with the chef's choice (I keep trying to memorize the Japanese term for this meaning putting yourself in the chef's hands..) menu if your budget and timing permits- you should probably call in advance for this.

Fugakyu is a nice upscale place with good sushi and food as well, but I don't think it's the same league (same opinion about Ginza, by the way, and I think the one in Chinatown is better than the ones in Brookline and Watertown, though all are good).

Enjoy!

I was at Oga's earlier this week. I sat at the sushi bar and asked for an omakase sushi and sashimi for $40. It was absolutely sublime. Ama ebi, some toro that was blowtorched, salmon, hamachi, clam, octopus with smoked salt, and delicious fluke sashimi with a cilantro leaf and a dot of hot sauce. I had an appetizer of Maine uni they had just opened, served on a shiso leaf over the shell. Sublime.

Whenever I am in that area on business, that's where I go.

I had an appetizer of Maine uni they had just opened, served on a shiso leaf over the shell. Sublime.

Now THIS is the way to have uni. Maine's urchin season is in full swing so now is the time to order it, with or without the animal on hand, but you can't go wrong when the chef goes the distance like this. Bravo!

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I would surely choose Fugakyu over Oiishi. I have eaten at both several times, and I feel like they are both excellent, but Fugakyu edges out Oiishi on various points such as ambience and bar drinks. Oiishi has a bit more creative dishes, both are similarly prices, but Oiishi is VERY cramped, which may lead to a rushed/claustrophbic dining experience. The set up of Fugakyu is quite wonderful, especially with all the private booths, and rooms. Overall, I felt Fugakyu was cleaner. The fish at each were both very fresh, and both had plentiful menus. Other sushi restaurants in Boston do not compare. Even a lot of the restaurants in NY.

• 1 month later...