• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panettone

jackal10

Ok I can tell you for sure that Fiori di sicilia DOES NOT belong in Panettone recipe!

I know for sure I have been with italian bakers in Italy and made a bounch of panettoni , pandori etc and all teh professional recipes I have dont call for that at all.That is used in Pastiera .

Real butter , yolks , mother yeast ( not sourdough ) a mix of fresh candied citruses , some of the mix get mixed into a paste and used as flavouring agent.I just made some Panettone dough in this past 2 day ( oh yes it take long time )Unfortunally because the huge storm here in COlorado , my panettone molds didnt arrive so I am going to cook it in a regular pan like a brioche for now.I will see to bake it tonight after work and report .The process I have used is a complicated one used by bakers in Italy , and at home it might be a little bit umpractical but I will see if I can tweak it a little bit.

Vanessa

some of the [candied citrus] get mixed into a paste and used as flavouring agent

I LIKE this idea! That would explain why the flavor of the candied citrus permeates the whole loaf. You do come up with interesting ideas!

I tried vanilla+orange zest+lemon zest yesterday. That was nice, but still missing something. Also, I could see the zest in the cake (even though I used a Microplane), and don't recall seeing that before in a panettone.

Abra, how right you are! 3/4 tsp. is much too much. No way the flavor could mellow that much. I may try it again, using less, just to convince myself one way or the other.

I see that Peter Reinhart uses lemon and orange extracts, which is another set of experiments. :wacko:

In my experiments I have used:

-Lemon and orange zest mixed with half the sugar

-the other half the sugar replaced with lavender or wildflower honey

-vanilla extract and vanilla bean

-lemon and orange extracts

-rum and cointreau to soak the fruit in

-toasted nuts

-starter that has been resting in the fridge for a few days, but is still very active

I find that with this combination of items, I get a panettone that is very fragrant and tasty. I tweak Reinhart's recipe. I have got nothing but compliments, mind you, I have not fed any to an Italian.

The honey changes the whole flavour profile.

• 5 months later...

gallery_42593_4707_103314.jpge

Finally had time to do up photos on a Panettone made a month ago. It has been sitting, well wrapped in my fridge to till this morning.

The recipe I used was from Paco Torreblanca's book and followed it to the dot. Well, not really. The quantities were slashed drastically and the most confusing part was figuring out whether 'Mother Yeast' meant sourdough or cake yeast.

Also, Italian 00 flour is not available here and bread flour at 11% protein was used instead. It did require a bit of adjustment and I winged it but on hindsight, should have not added any extra to see what would've happened.

Verdict: Amazing. Nice airy and soft texture.

In another post in the Spain section, someone did mention Paco Torreblanca's amazing Chocolate Panettones. I have no doubt that his would be super amazing considering the great results I've had.

Have never had a real Panettone before and the closest was a really bad, fake version purchased from the "Central" supermarket bakery in Bangkok. So....can't wait to one day visit Alicante and have the real thing!

Meanwhile, if anyone wants more info on the Panettone, just read the writeup on my blog. PM me for recipes.

Cheers!

Nick.

Have never had a real Panettone before and the closest was a really bad, fake version purchased from the "Central" supermarket bakery in Bangkok.  So....can't wait to one day visit Alicante and have the real thing! 

You just insulted every Italian. You better go to Italy to taste real panettone before your trip to Spain!

Your panettone looks very nice.

• 1 year later...
Hi all,

Looking to make mini-panettone for holiday gifts this year, and i am looking for a good and authentic recipe.

Have italian in-laws that i need to impress...

thanks,

Eric

take a standard brioche recipe, add some orange blossom water, candied lemon and orange peel, and dried fruits. add approximately 200g of 'inserts' (chocolate, dried fruits, nuts, etc.) for every kilo of flour in your recipe. you can get more complex, with predoughs and the like, but this recipe will give you a fantastic result.

Hi all,

Looking to make mini-panettone for holiday gifts this year, and i am looking for a good and authentic recipe.

Have italian in-laws that i need to impress...

thanks,

Eric

take a standard brioche recipe, add some orange blossom water, candied lemon and orange peel, and dried fruits. add approximately 200g of 'inserts' (chocolate, dried fruits, nuts, etc.) for every kilo of flour in your recipe. you can get more complex, with predoughs and the like, but this recipe will give you a fantastic result.

Thanks i will give it a shot!

Edited by Linzerbear (log)

Eric