• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hungover Prime Rib

Mottmott

I have about 2 lbs of leftover beef now destined for empanadas. What do you do with yours?

I usually make empanadas in some quantity, bake them til very lightly brown, then freeze them. I later bake them directly from the freezer, finishing off the browning of the pastry in the process. Really useful to have on hand during the holidays.

Of course, the leftove oven roasted potatoes make great hash browns, but what else do you do with them?

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

The SO says,"How dare you have leftover prime rib?" I say,"mail it to me!" Be that as it may. You'd have a luxurious hash but you'd have to be careful to not lose the character of those ingredients. How's about grilling 'em to reheat them? The grill would change the character of the meat ever so slightly - make it an event :)

To paraphrase: There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about with food.

The SO says,"How dare you have leftover prime rib?"  I say,"mail it to me!"  Be that as it may.  You'd have a luxurious hash but you'd have to be careful to not lose the character of those ingredients.  How's about grilling 'em to reheat them?  The grill would change the character of the meat ever so slightly - make it an event :)

It took planning. :wink:

I agree with you that hash can all too easily become, well, a hash. My old inlaws used to have the leftovers with horseradish sauce, and I've seen leftovers re-emerge in my mother's shephard's pie. Personally I like them married to raisins, olives, onions, and sweet red peppers in empanadas - which, by the way, also takes up some of the leftover potatoes. And by a lucky coincidence, I happen to have made a double batch of dough when I made the pie, so have (is it coincidence?) leftover pie dough in the fridge.

Leftover good meat goes straight to sandwhich duty here, unless it is ham, in which case it gets fried up with some red-eye gravey for breakfast.

What is the difference between leftover roast and hungover roast? Was it cooked in Bourbon ? ;).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

i.ll make a small batch of stock with the bones,a nice black and blue sandwich on a good crusty hoagie roll.Pan sear the rib and add blue cheese with some lettuce.It,s like hugging mommy :wub:

Dave s

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

i've got leftover prime rib, too (4-rib rack from niman ranch, fat-side browned on range, then slow-roasted at temps from 250 to 300 to 130 .... mmmm). the absolute best t hing to do with the ribs is to cut them apart, paint them with good mustard, then roll them in bread crumbs. drizzle with butter and bake until well done, about an hour at 350, if i recall. amazing meat.

What is the difference between leftover roast and hungover roast? Was it cooked in Bourbon ? ;).

Edited by chefdg (log)

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

I made Red Flannel hash, chopped some shallots, diced potatoes, diced beets and some cajun spice a little soy, a dash of Dale's.

Fried it up, Yum.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I feel oh so uncharacteristically organized! Smug, even, maybe, :rolleyes:

I made, then froze, empanadas with the leftover rib roast, roasted red pepper, cut cherry tomatoes (which somehow manage to taste pretty good even at this time of year), added caramelized onions, potato, olives and raisins. They emerged for our post NY day luncheon. If you do make them with the intention of freezing them, I strongly recommend underbaking them slightly and finishing them off just before serving by baking directly from the freezer. I'd even made extra dough and frozen it for this when making my Xmas pie.

The downside of empanadas is how long they take to assemble even after you've made all the components ahead. I made them small enough to be party finger food.

I also served the gravlax left over from Christmas. I must say I like the arctic char gravlax more than the salmon I've used in the past. Serendipity at work. No fresh wild salmon was available. I didn't want to use either farm or frozen fish for gravlax, so went with the wild fresh char and found it more delicate and prettier than the salmon.

Edited by Mottmott (log)