• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The single most sublime thing I ate was ______

the roasted potatoes my boyfriend's mother made for christmas dinner. she's not a creative cook - but those brits sure can make some roasties. mine will never come close - and that is just wonderful. her parsnips rock too.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

I made my own plain, simple yeast rolls for Christmas dinner that I brushed with butter the last couple minutes before they came out of the oven. The butter ran down between the rolls and formed a buttery, almost crunchy, as in fried, layer on the bottom of the rolls. I split my roll and put on more butter and some crispy bits of ham. My very favorite bite was the last bite of the roll that had soaked up some syrup from the glazed sweet potatoes, combined with the crunchy buttery goodness and a sliver or two of ham. I wish I could duplicate it. It was unbelievable.

The sandwich I ate just before hitting the road to come home yesterday.

Leftovers Sandwich, layered as follows:

Bottom piece of bread, cranberry sauce, turkey, stuffing, gravy, top piece of bread

Mmm...I wish I had another right now.

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

Oh, I have two, is that cheating? Too bad.

The first was my very first attempt at carpaccio of beef. With tips from a foodwino list friend, I salt-seared a lovely cube of beef, then froze it for a 1/2 hour before guests came. Served it sliced paper-thin with baguette, capers, wedges of lemon, and a thin light mustard sauce. It was absolutely heavenly!

The second was a batch of the richest, most sublime cookies made by a friend of mine. Dark chocolate cookies with a hint of espresso in them, bitter chocolate chunks embedded, and cherries that had been soaked in cherry liqeuer. Decadent!

tlv

I made lamb stew for Xmas with some great chianti and a few other things, and I decided to plate it on top of a simple polenta made with Kenyon's stone ground corn meal (from right here in RI), a stock made from a roasted chicken, a minced onion, a clove of garlic, salt, pepper, and fresh thyme.

I knew that the stew would be great. But the polenta turned out to be magical.... I dunno what did made it so wonderful, but my first, surprising bite of that corn mush is what I'll remember......

edited to fix a typo -- ca

Edited by chrisamirault (log)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Spaghetti. A tie between spaghetti with clams (white) and spaghetti with stuffed calamari (red). Mmm. It's not Christmas without it, and it was really good this year.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

My first attempt at making roasted banana ice cream.  Fucking great.  Served with a bitter-sweet chocolate & hazelnut torte.  :wub:

Now you've gone and done it, Puck (I may call you by your first name, no?)! I think it only fitting that you share your recipe for roasted banana ice cream with us .. you are such a tease!! :laugh: Spill!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Now you've gone and done it, Puck (I may call you by your first name, no?)! I think it only fitting that you share your recipe for roasted banana ice cream with us .. you are such a tease!!  :laugh:  Spill!

With pleasure, ma' lady:

Roasted Banana Ice Cream

Makes one quart

2 cups heavy cream

2 cups half and half

1 cup sugar

1 vanilla bean, split and seeded

2 eggs

8 egg yolks

4 bananas, very ripe

1. Roast bananas in a preheated 350° oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until very soft.

2. Combine cream, half and half, half the sugar and vanilla beans in a medium sauce pot over medium high heat. Bring to a simmer.

3. Whisk the eggs, yolks and second half of sugar.

4. Once the cream mixture comes to a boil slowly pour in the eggs. DO THIS SLOWLY!! If done fast you will end up with scrambled eggs.

5. Return the mixture to the pan and onto the stove over medium to low heat. Using a wooden spoon, stir constantly until the mixture is nappe, or coats the back of the spoon.

6. Puree the bananas and add them to the thickened mixture, strain into a container set in an ice bath. Cool completely. Freeze in an ice-cream machine.

Now you've gone and done it, Puck (I may call you by your first name, no?)! I think it only fitting that you share your recipe for roasted banana ice cream with us .. you are such a tease!!  :laugh:  Spill!

With pleasure, ma' lady:

To paraphrase your sentiments above "Puckin' great!" :laugh:

Very much the sublime confection I will attempt to reproduce here at home in my Cuisinart Ice Cream Machine ... a heartfelt thanks! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Sheesh!

where to begin...

The wedge of perfect creamy "triple creme du village de Warwick" cheese that had the consistency of soft savory frosting - beeeuuteeful!

Or perhaps it was the prosciutto di San Daniele from San Daniele via air canada.

or maybe it was the perfectly crisp confit of duck legs with lentils de puy smothered in caramelised onions and fresh thyme.

oh wait! the panino made with organic (Green & Black's) hazelnut chocolate spread with fresh banana and pressed to perfection in the Krups sandwich press..

hard to say really! :laugh:

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who