• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The single most sublime thing I ate was ______

The holiday season is in full swing, as they say, and the meals we have been eating are replete with all manner of sublime and divinely decadent pleasures ... :wink:

That said, what was the one food item which will mark Christmas 2004 for you tastewise? :rolleyes:

Does the memory of that taste still linger on your tongue?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

the icky taste of boiled rutabaga...ack ack!

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

bits of crispy fat off of:

a glazed ham

a rack of lamb

another ham

crispy skin from:

turkey

roasted chicken (made craklins)

pork shoulder (made cracklins)

actual meat:

shortribs

pulled pork.

the single mostsublime thing that I ate was whichever of these didn't have any fat or calories. :huh:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

for me: the simple pumpkin soup I made to accompany our Christmas dinner. :wub: amazing.

for my husband: the walnut-coated turkey medallions (with a wine cream sauce) which I made as the main course. Though he was impressed with the pumpkin soup, too.

Orange segments macerated in a Grand Marnier - vanilla bean - sugar syrup.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

My sister made chicken wings with mushrooms. I know it sounds simple, but they were sublime. Served with a nice brown au jus that wasn't fatty, with nice plump button mushroom slices. I could have hoarded. Hmmmm, I think I DID hoard...

:wub::wub:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

The holiday season is in full swing, as they say, and the meals we have been eating are replete with all manner of sublime and divinely decadent pleasures ... :wink:

That said, what was the one food item which will mark Christmas 2004 for you tastewise?  :rolleyes:

Does the memory of that taste still linger on your tongue?

The Kobe beef fillet that just about melted in my mouth piece by luscious piece.

As my late father-in-law might have said....I've had gravy tougher than this meat! :laugh:

David

Edited by David94928 (log)

As my late father-in-law might have said....I've had gravy tougher than this meat! :laugh:

David

that's a great quote! i will be using that, with proper attribution, of course!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

The flavor of that first bite of tender rare lamb with the garlic and fresh thyme/rosemary/mint after the creamiest asparagus bisque with tiny baby speartips resting in butter on the top. :wub:

Does that qualify as just one? :wink:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

i made a paste of minced garlic,rosemary and evoo to rub on my Prime rib,seared and sloooow roasted to perfection,like butter.Had an end piece for breakfast with all the crispy browned bits

Dave s

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

The bite of medium rare filet that was coated in spices and tons of minced garlic that had a hint of carmelized sweetness from slow roasting the beef.

Can you imagine how positively green with envy I am at these words??? :rolleyes: but make it rare, please .... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Ooh! Can we eat again?!!! I could lick the screen. :laugh:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

The trifle that I made out of a chocolate orange cake that looked ruined when it came out of the oven: the edges were burned and the center was still wobbly.

So I cut out the center and cut off the edges. Was left with a sort of donut shaped cake thing. Sliced it, soaked the slices in orange liqueur, and layered those with bananas and home made custard. Topped with loads of whipped cream.

It was the best trifle I ever made and maybe even one of the best desserts I ever made. Very christmassy taste and beautiful contrasting textures and flavors, yet very simple.