• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brioche by hand vs. mixer

Sobaicecream

I'd like to bring this up because I've made this brioche quite often, lately. I love it. I tried also artisan bread in 5 minutes brioche but doesn't compare to this one. Thanks, Paula!

Franci, what yeast are you using? Paula says "dry yeast;" does that mean active dry or instant? Or are you using fresh yeast?

Incidentally, I was just looking for a great brioche recipe, thanks for bringing this up. I have Reinhart's from BBA (made the "middle class" brioche before, good but not great), Gisslen's (not tried it yet), and now what got me thinking was Jacquy Pfeiffer's. I want to make the brioche bostock, plus I haven't had it in a while and I dearly miss it.

This thread is a real find, thanks. Paula Wolfert and nightscotsman both! I was also wondering about what type of dry yeast she was using. I haven't made brioche in a long time, but it looks like there'll be some brioche this weekend. I can't remember the recipe I used last time, but I did like it, the texture was silky smooth as a result of long kneading time (in the Kitchen Aid, not by hand). But I am very curious to try Paula Wolfert's recipe, and I will try to Google Gisslen's.

Diana, I used 1 1/2 teaspoons of saf red instant.

Thank you, Franci, that's exactly what I have. :)

But I am very curious to try Paula Wolfert's recipe, and I will try to Google Gisslen's.

Cakewalk, if you cannot find it, PM me and I'll send it to you.

Edited by DianaM (log)

• 1 month later...

Those look great, Franci (I was going to say 'your buns look wonderful', but that could perhaps be misconstrued by an international audience ...).

I may be going entirely blind, but Paula's recipe seems to stop before the dough gets near an oven. What's your recommendation for time and temperature?

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory