• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Guac is toooo Tart

Della

I recently made some guacamole and I ended up putting in too much lime juice. Normally, I like to think my guac is pretty darn good but I must have been sipping my adult beverages too much prior to making it because it was just toooo limey (is that a word?). Anyway - I wanted to "fix" that little problem but was out of avacado's, didn't want to go to the store to get more and so I decided to add a pinch of sugar to the mix to see if it would help. Needless to say, it didn't help and made my guacamole almost inedible. Yes - ALMOST, cause we ate it anyway - but it wasn't delicious :sad: So - my question is - aside from adding more avacado and making a larger batch - does anyone have any solution for too much lime in the guac??? Thanks! Della

Maybe adding a little more sour cream or garlic would help as well? Generally fat helps reduce acid just as extra acid can cut fat.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I dunno, but I love a nice tart Guac. Tart and spicy, with crushed up chiles and chopped up tomato in that moist creamy avocado, baby. Smash it up in that lava bowl, oh yeah!

See, I can make anything sound obscene.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

First of all, let me say that I LIKE my guac 'limey.' At restaurants, I often squeeze a little extra lemon or lime over it. And really, my favorite guac of all is just avocado, salt and lime.

That said, I lived for a time in Tucson, where many folks stirred cottage cheese into their guac. I never got accustomed to that, but even in little restaurants in Mexico in Nogales, I saw that done.

So, you could have tried that.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Actually, another heresy but in a pinch, if you had a nice ripe pear, you could put the flesh of it in the guac to add some sweetness. In general, I would stay away from putting in the creamy stuff because you will lose the delicate texture of the avocado.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

I recently made some guacamole and I ended up putting in too much lime juice. Normally, I like to think my guac is pretty darn good but I must have been sipping my adult beverages too much prior to making it because it was just toooo limey (is that a word?). Anyway - I wanted to "fix" that little problem but was out of avacado's, didn't want to go to the store to get more and so I decided to add a pinch of sugar to the mix to see if it would help. Needless to say, it didn't help and made my guacamole almost inedible. Yes - ALMOST, cause we ate it anyway - but it wasn't delicious  :sad:  So - my question is - aside from adding more avacado and making a larger batch - does anyone have any solution for too much lime in the guac??? Thanks! Della

If you really had no avocados, then I'd opt for a little sour cream. I've had guac made with sour cream and it has a nice flavor, so it wouldn't kill your guac, and should cut the lime a little. You could also add a bit more onion, that might distract from the lime too, and chopped onion enhances the flavor.

Mayo?  :shock:

Sour Cream??  :shock: :shock:

SUGAR?????  :shock: :shock:  :shock:

Folks, we're talking GUACAMOLE here.

Maybe more garlic, more cilantro, more tomato, more onion; definitely more chile!

Hehe. I wasn't suggesting mayo as a normal ingredient, just as a possible fix for the situation. It can be blended in with the guac and just might mellow the tartness. That's all I'm sayin'. :smile:

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Do most of you not use Sour Cream as a regular ingredient in Guac then? I find it adds a much fuller flavor than you get with Avacado by itself. Actually, I bet a nice sour Greek Yogurt would work really well too...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Do most of you not use Sour Cream as a regular ingredient in Guac then? 

Don't know about most of us, but I prefer it without it.

I use: chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, lime or lemon (or even a little vinegar for the acid if I don't have fresh citrus available), garlic, a special salsa de jalapeno that I make just to put into the guac. And sometimes cilantro.

Or, as I said above, when I'm in a "purist" mood....nothing but avocados, lime and salt. With sliced jalapenos en escabeche on the side.

I also use this "purist" version when I'm making the guac as a condiment...like for fajitas or tacos.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm not a fan of sour cream with my guacamole.

For me the ingredients are avocado, lime, small amount of red onion, small amount of tomato, and some good shakes of seasoned salt or garlic salt.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Do most of you not use Sour Cream as a regular ingredient in Guac then?  I find it adds a much fuller flavor than you get with Avacado by itself.  Actually, I bet a nice sour Greek Yogurt would work really well too...

Actually, I never heard of this before, but I might give it a try. All I know about guacamole is to put in avocados, salt, lime, jalapenos, maybe chopped onion, maybe some tomatoes. I think I remember someone putting in cilantro in as well, but I don't think I've tried this.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

I'll join the limey crowd here! I like the lime to come through a bit in my guacamole. I also use just a spoonful of sour cream, but mostly as a preservative. Gotta have red onions, garlic, cilantro, salt, and chopped tomato too. But the secret ingredient, and one no one has yet to mention here, is CUMIN! Add some more cumin to cut the lime if it is too overpowering.

Edited by Okbrewer (log)

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Do most of you not use Sour Cream as a regular ingredient in Guac then?

Nullo, I may have sour cream next to my guac. I may even dip something in one and then the other, thus combining them in my mouth. But to purposely combine the two in the bowl? Nooooo... not happening :)

I must admit that of all the ways one can adulterate guac, sour cream does seem the least offensive to me. I'll give you that.

I dunno, but I love a nice tart Guac. Tart and spicy, with crushed up chiles and chopped up tomato in that moist creamy avocado, baby. Smash it up in that lava bowl, oh yeah!

See, I can make anything sound obscene.

I dare you to make epoisses sound obscene. :shock:

Soba