• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Naughty or Nice?

chefpeon

This year Santa brought me a really nice instant-read digital thermometer,

a wonderful heavy duty tartlette pan (it makes twelve mini tartlettes) and a book called

"Chef's Secrets" with an appearance by Mr. Laiskonis who tells how to spray-paint with

chocolate......

What'd you get? :raz:

Chefpeon, I was also given a tartlet pan for Christmas. I also got a mini rose bundt pan. Other goodies I recieved include bottles of Chambord and Frangelico, a good-quality microplane zester, and an 18" pastry bag (finally, I can load all my batter in the bag at once. Yippee!).

I hope everyone had a happy Christmas/Channukah/solstice/Kwanza celebration!

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

No kitchen goodies for me this year (poo!), though I did a Good Deed for my mother, and sharpened all of her knives. I suspect that she has been cutting on her granite countertops.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Santa brought me King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion and King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion. 

I also received the KA Cookie Book and... (drumroll, please)... "La Patisserie de Pierre Herme" from my sisters and dad. Woo-hoo! :biggrin:

I guess I was naughty cause I didn't get any baking items at all! Well I did get a gift certificate to Barnes and Noble which I will spend on something baking related. But I plan on making up for Santa's oversight in a big way this January. I have a HUGE list of "I wants" building in my head.

mktye.........you must have been VERY GOOD this year!

Annie, do tell more about your book, please?? Who's it written and published by? Is it baking and cooking?

Wull, I got a 20 quart mixer early and one of these. So Santa was very good to me.

... a good-quality microplane zester...

I hope everyone had a happy Christmas/Channukah/solstice/Kwanza celebration!

Patrick, your microplane - an idea - if you are right handed - hold the fruit in your left hand and rub the microplane over it with your right hand - it's so much easier than the other way. I always marvel at the chef's on tv that do it the opposite way - it's much more economical to move the plane than the fruit. Just a thought.

Double-time pay! :biggrin:

:laugh:

i scored an acmc chocolate temperer. never saw it coming. great surprise, can't wait....even tho i've never used one before.

...and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce it tastes alot more like prunes than rhubarb does. groucho

if you are right handed - hold the fruit in your left hand and rub the microplane over it with your right hand - it's so much easier than the other way. I always marvel at the chef's on tv that do it the opposite way - it's much more economical to move the plane than the fruit. Just a thought.

Isn't that funny.....when I first got my microplane, my instinct was to hold the fruit and move the zester. I thought it was strange when I saw my co-workers holding the tool and moving the fruit.....so I said something......and they're like, "d'oh! Why didn't we think of that?" So they do

it the "wrong way" on TV too, huh?

Annie, do tell more about your book, please?? Who's it written and published by? Is it baking and cooking?

The book I got, "Chef's Secrets-Insider Techniques from Today's Culinary Masters" is "written" all the different chefs contributing, but it was compiled by Francine Maroukian. It's published by

Quirk Books, and the book is right on the website.......

Edited by chefpeon (log)

I also got a really nice digital thermometer, but that was all that was baking related. Although I did get speakers to put in the kitchen for my iPod. I kept having the headphones ripped out of my ears as it got caught on a drawer knob or a chair while moving throughout the kitchen. I guess that counts too! Gotta have music in the kitchen.

And I'll second that congrats on La Patisserie.

Well mine is a combination of gifts for Christmas and then my birthday(today the 27th): a couple of cake decorating books, gumpaste flower cutters, and some molds from the now closed SugarBouquets. So I'm very happy and wanting to play with all of my goodies! :biggrin: Gotta love new toys! :wub:

I would say for me it was the fact that I had great sales for the month of December which will enable me to go out and by some new baking toys.

I also have a big birthday coming up in a little less than a month so I also plan to be on a shopping extravenganza in January in honor of me!!!

Believe, Laugh, Love

Lydia (aka celenes)

Besides the Badger mini airbrush I bought for myself, I was surprised with a Liss professional cream whipper and it's the deep red one I had been drooling over in the store. Very sexy! :wub:

edited the typo

Edited by duckduck (log)

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Patrick, your microplane - an idea - if you are right handed - hold the fruit in your left hand and rub the microplane over it with your right hand - it's so much easier than the other way. I always marvel at the chef's on tv that do it the opposite way - it's much more economical to move the plane than the fruit. Just a thought.

i'm left-handed, and something that i do instinctively is to hold the zester "upside down" on top of the fruit when i zest, so that the zest is caught in the "channel" of the inverted microplane, rather than falling to the counter. (does that make any sense? i wish you could just see my hands right now as i hold the imaginary orange and microplane...) it all stays neatly in place until i'm ready to deposit it somewhere.

several people have given me the "wtf" look when they first see the technique, but then the light goes on when they see me "download" the goods into the batter bowl.

Edited by chezcherie (log)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

i'm left-handed, and something that i do instinctively is to hold the zester "upside down" on top of the fruit when i zest, so that the zest is caught in the "channel" of the inverted microplane, rather than falling to the counter. (does that make any sense? i wish you could just see my hands right now as i hold the imaginary orange and microplane...) it all stays neatly in place until i'm ready to deposit it somewhere.

several people have given me the "wtf" look when they first see the technique, but then the light goes on when they see me "download" the goods into the batter bowl.

yes yes yes - upside down - and the little edges that are rolled up hold all your great stuff and because you have that great eye contact with the surface of the fruit, you get perfect perfect zest - wa-a-a-la ain't we good??!! :laugh: and it's not

that awkward scratch & turn it over to see where next to position it :rolleyes:

This was a big baking christmas for me. I had mentioned to my wife that I wanted to start baking bread..so Santa went to Surfas in Los Angeles and brought me "The Bread Baker's Apprentice", a baking stone and a small peel, a banneton, a bench scraper, and some other misc tools.

I've started reading through the book, and I hope to get started this weekend :)

I'm not sure if I was nice or not but I was blessed at Christmas. I not only received an infrared thermometer for use in chocolate work but I received an aw some glass cake plate and dome. Now I will have to make a really really really tall cake to fit into it. :laugh::laugh:

gallery_9087_321_1104288328.jpg

Edited to say that the pyrex is a 2 cuper and that I had to relearn how to add photos. Happy New Year to all. Fred

Edited by FWED (log)

Fred Rowe

I love the cake plate too!!! I am also jealous because my mother-inlaw typically gets me a new one for Christmas and this year she got me jewelry. Don't get me wrong it is beautiful but I was looking forward to adding to my cake plate collection.

Never fear though as my birthday is fast approaching like "40" going north I am sure I will get my new cake plate!!!

Believe, Laugh, Love

Lydia (aka celenes)