• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Happy Holidays!

Kyle_Larson

Kyle,

We are having Oregon Beef Roast with Horseradish cream,yorkshire puddings. carrot coins with maple syrup and balasmic glaze, haricot green beans with roasted fennel and shallots, glazed mini pearl onions, sunchoke gratin. For dessert it will be plum pudding brought back from London with hard sauce. Wine still to be selected from the reds we brought back from our trip to Canada, touring the wine country. Merry Christmas, Kay

dinner itself will be very simple.

acorn squash & wild rice bisque :wub:

baby greens salad with whatever strikes me in the moment :->

Grand Central's Columbia bread

Hedgehog mushrooms sauteed in butter with fresh herbs.

Oh and we carnivores might sneak a bite of Salumi's lamb prosciutto when the vegetarian isn't looking :raz:

but we'll be following that with the not-quite-traditional 13 dessert Provencal extravaganza!

the Pompe a l'huile is rising in the refridgerator right now to be baked tomorrow

Miss Lara is making her fabulous Lemon Lavendar cake

we have Callisons from Provence

Italian Nougat

Scottish shortbread :laugh:

And there will be chocolate fondue to dip all the lovely fresh & dried fruits in.

Eden - let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

[edited to add: and mulled wine, because when you come back from the snow you need mulled wine!]

Edited by Eden (log)

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

happy holidays to All!

dinner is...

Chianti-braised Short Ribs

Preserved Lemon Polenta

Pan-wilted Lacinato Kale with Crispy Shallots and Sherry Vinegar

1997 Felsina Chianti Classico Riserva

Molten Chocolate Cake with Crystalized Ginger Creme Anglaise

1997 Maculan Acininobili Torcolato de Breganze

fanatic...

I'll go:

Cod marinated for 24 hours in a spicy sweet and sour sauce of my own concoction, baked with toasted coconut.

Sweet potatoes with pepperjack cheese baked in oregano infused macadamia nut oil.

Sea bass marinated 24 hours in a beer stew and fried in chile oil.

The family wanted a strictly traditional turkey dinner. I was leaning towards goose, but I didn't make arrangements in advance and on Christmas eve morning the only ones I could find were $80+ at whole foods and frozen rock solid. Good luck to anyone who bought one of those and expected it to defrost in time. so turkey it was--a 12lb free-range bird.

Here's the bird in a brine of 1c salt, 1/2c brown sugar per gallon, plus the miscellanea you see floating on top. A small igloo cooler was the perfect size for brining it overnight while preserving precious refrigerator space.

gallery_1327_512_1104036975.jpg

Christmas morning we had savory swirls, which we found in a Texas cookbook and have been making for years. It's biscuit dough rolled with chorizo, green chilies and cheese.

gallery_1327_512_1104037035.jpg

And fruit salad with a pineapple Santa flew in from Hawaii.

gallery_1327_512_1104037099.jpg

Later in the day, the turkey was roasted to a crisp golden brown.

gallery_1327_512_1104037003.jpg

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

cheese plate- with Istara, D'affinios and Humbolt fog with Macrina Bread.

Red wine braised short ribs with roasted root vegetables

green salad with goat cheese and roasted pecans and dried organic blueberries with a balsamic

orange vinagarette.

T-vine Zinfandel 2001-yummy.

Pumpkin Pie for dessert with ginger ice cream.

a long walk around the block to walk off all the decadence.

A lovely meal and a lovely holiday

Merry Christmas!

fellow eGullet member Della and I made Christmas dinner for my family.

Lunch was appetizers- a group contribution of deviled eggs, crab dip, latkas with creme fraiche and caviar, smoked salmon

Dinner was very traditional:

Salad, homebaked (by MIL) rolls, Turkey rubbed with herb butter and stuffed with bread & celery stuffing, gravy, green beans with pancetta, roasted yams tossed with onion confit and sage butter, mashed potatoes with creme fraiche and butter, cranberry sauce.

Pumpkin pie for dessert (baked by Dayne)

Christmas eve was lamb steaks with oregano, thyme and lemon, mashed butternut squash, garlic roasted baby yukon gold potatoes and haricots verts with Elk Cove Del Rio Syrah. Dessert was a selection of candies and treats received from friends.

Christmas day was a come when you want buffet with hostesses supplied Delice De Bourgonne, Stilton, Pate, Smoked Salmon, Shrimp Cocktails, green salad with hazelnuts and apples, Crab and Plum pud with hard sauce, and Veuve. A happy mishmash to keep the noshers happy as we watched movies, took breaks for walks, and just...rested. Items brought by friends included deviled eggs, Salumi meats, other cheeses, crudites, olives, roast beast with horseradish and cookies. A swell (and tummy swelling!) time was had by all.

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

I have the best husband EVER!

For boxing day breakfast I just got served French toast made with leftover pompe a l'huile (orangey brioche) drizzled with grand marnier syrup!

And then people wonder why I'm a big food princess & turn up my nose at mediocre food :laugh:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

We kept the Christmas dinner very simple. The day started with aebelskiver (a danish ball-shaped "pancake") with cranberry preserves. We used my Oma's recipe which calls for buttermilk. We didn't have any buttermilk, so we substituted organic egg nog and it was delicious. A new recipe was created.

Instead of cooking a traditional dinner we put together an elaborate anti-pasta selection, a selection of cheeses, and made macaroini & cheese. We ordered tarts and petit fours from a new local bakery called Sugar Delights (set to open in West Seattle in March). If you want to order desserts I strongly recommend Sugar Delights (http://sugardelights.com). The quality is the best I've had in Seattle in a long, long time and the desserts are lovely.

Happy holidays from Mr. Lucky

I cooked for a few of us Jews and orphans far from home and family.

We had a two-rib standing rib roast with Bordelaise sauce and pan vegetables, whipped potatoes with celery root, and orange-Dijon green beens. Desert was an apple-walnut cake and calvados. Not bad for three hours from shopping to eating :).

We were at a rented beach house in Cannon Beach, so I couldn't make any multi-day dishes. Here's what we had:

Christmas Eve:

Grana Padano Ganache in Phyllo Cups with Balsamic Drizzle

Chicken Braised with Saffron, Cinnamon, and Lavender

Risotto with Duck Stock, Mushrooms, and Peas

"Banana Split" with Caramelized Bananas, Caramel de Creme d'Isigny Mousse, Valrhona Sauce, and Nougat de Montelimar Sprinkles

Christmas Dinner:

Coquilles Saint Jacques

Beef Tenderloin with Roasted Shallots, Port, and Bacon

Potato Parsnip Puree

Maple-Roasted Delicata Squash Rings

Braised Bitter Greens

Christmas Cranberry Tart

Madisonian welcome to Egullet. Your menu sounded great. Abra, even without your own kitchen and supplies your menu sounded fantastic. Did you enjoy Cannon Beach? We have been planning on going there. Obviously the cooking capability of rentals seems to be OK. Yes? or were you in private apt/home? Kay

So last night I dropped into Fred Meyer to pick up some things, and decided to go pick up something for dinner while I was there. I noticed that they had pre-thawed post-holiday turkey's on sale for 50% off. So I picked up a 20 pounder for about $7. Cooked it with an entire head of garlic spread under it's skin, an onion in it's cavity, and a chile powder rub. Yeah, dinner was a little late last night, but mighty tasty.

Cam and I went to Vancouver for Christmas. We had scallion pancake and dandan noodles at Szechuan Chongqing for Christmas Eve dinner; assorted dim sum at Kirin for Christmas brunch; and beef curry, punjabi dal, kale-and-potatoes, and cumin rice from Rangoli for dinner, prepared in our hotel kitchenette. :biggrin:

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

The holidays aren't over yet and neither is the eating. Tonight we are having pad thai made from the Cook's Illustrated receipe (see recipe below). I'm very much looking forward to this as it's the best I've ever had. I won't even order pad thai in restaurants any more as it all tastes so lackluster in comparison.

Tommorrow we'll make hoppin' john, mustard greens, and corn bread. We've been doing this for the last few New Year's days and I would have to say that overall, my luck has been pretty good.

Happy New Year.

Oops! Here's the recipe for pad thai.

wok might be the implement of choice in restaurants and the old country, but a large 12-inch skillet (nonstick makes cleanup easy) is more practical for home cooks. Although pad thai cooks very quickly, the ingredient list is long, and everything must be prepared and within easy reach at the stovetop when you begin cooking. For maximum efficiency, use the time during which the tamarind and noodles soak to prepare the other ingredients. Tofu is a good and common addition to pad thai. If you like, add 4 ounces of extra-firm tofu or pressed tofu (available in Asian markets) cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 cup) to the noodles along with the bean sprouts.

Serves 4 as a main dish 2 tablespoons tamarind paste or substitute

3/4 cup water (boiling)

3 tablespoons fish sauce

1 tablespoon rice vinegar

3 tablespoons granulated sugar

3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

4 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil

8 ounces dried rice stick noodles about 1/8 inch wide (the width of linguine)

2 large eggs

1/4 teaspoon table salt

12 ounces medium shrimp (31/35 count), peeled and deveined, if desired

3 cloves of garlic , pressed through garlic press or minced (1 tablespoon)

1 medium shallot , minced (about 3 tablespoons)

2 tablespoons dried shrimp , chopped fine (optional)

2 tablespoons Thai salted preserved radish (optional)

6 tablespoons roasted unsalted peanuts , chopped

3 cups bean sprouts (6 ounces)

5 medium scallions , green parts only, sliced thin on sharp bias

1/4 cup cilantro, fresh (optional)

lime wedges

1. Rehydrate tamarind paste in boiling water. Stir fish sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, cayenne, and 2 tablespoons oil into tamarind liquid and set aside.

2. Cover rice sticks with hot tap water in large bowl; soak until softened, pliable, and limp but not fully tender, about 20 minutes. Drain noodles and set aside. Beat eggs and 1/8 teaspoon salt in small bowl; set aside.

3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch skillet (preferably nonstick) over high heat until just beginning to smoke, about 2 minutes. Add shrimp and sprinkle with remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt; cook, tossing occasionally, until shrimp are opaque and browned about the edges, about 3 minutes. Transfer shrimp to plate and set aside.

4. Off heat, add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet and swirl to coat; add garlic and shallot, set skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until light golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes; add eggs to skillet and stir vigorously with wooden spoon until scrambled and barely moist, about 20 seconds. Add noodles, dried shrimp, and salted radish (if using) to eggs; toss with 2 wooden spoons to combine. Pour fish sauce mixture over noodles, increase heat to high, and cook, tossing constantly, until noodles are evenly coated. Scatter 1/4 cup peanuts, bean sprouts, all but 1/4 cup scallions, and cooked shrimp over noodles; continue to cook, tossing constantly, until noodles are tender, about 2 1/2 minutes (if not yet tender add 2 tablespoons water to skillet and continue to cook until tender).

5. Transfer noodles to serving platter, sprinkle with remaining scallions, 2 tablespoons peanuts, and cilantro; serve immediately, passing lime wedges separately.

Christmas morning we had savory swirls, which we found in a Texas cookbook and have been making for years.  It's biscuit dough rolled with chorizo, green chilies and cheese.

gallery_1327_512_1104037035.jpg

Oh my god those sound FABULOUS.

Tonight we are having a selection of cheeses and charcuterie and paté and proscuitto and thai-style shrimp.. lox, mortadella, bread, crackers, and liquor, lots of it. :rolleyes:

Born Free, Now Expensive

I've been making cassoulet all week, it will be dinner tomorrow. Tonight we are going out for dinner with friends so we will be having a snack in a bit of duck foie gras on toasted brioche with bubbles!

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

I'm not doing anything tonight, but tomorrow I am going to some dear friends' house and meet their new puppies. And thenwe are going to mke Jambolaya

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Tommorrow we'll make hoppin' john, mustard greens, and corn bread. We've been doing this for the last few New Year's days and I would have to say that overall, my luck has been pretty good.

Happy New Year.

Hmmm you makin' black eyed peas too? Maybe I should follow YOUR New Year's food tradition...

Born Free, Now Expensive