• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spun sugar: Tips & Techniques

mkfradin

Since I threw caution to the wind and dared the humidity gods...I have a problem.

I made a bunch of sugar pieces (spun, tear drops, etc) a week ago to be put on a croq that we will unveil next week. We're in the desert so the odds were on my side. Well, of course, we had three days of rain over the weekend and everything melted.

Do I need to give up on the idea of sugar work on the croq or is there anything I can do? Its for display not eating so I don't mind adding things to it? Can I just spray it with a sealant?

I'm not sure about advice Rob, I've just started playing with sugar recently, but don't give up on your vision! For the cake I posted recently, I made up the sugar decorations the morning that I needed them just to be safe. I ordered Notter's book, which came in yesterday, just to see what I can learn without a class and I'm going to get some form of dessicant for storing things. I'm also giving serious consideration to ordering some isomalt just to get an idea of the differences working with each. I'm building my own warming stand, I can't see paying $200 - $300 for something I can build for $20 or so.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.