• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

what desserts to serve

Sounds yummmmm!  Sandra would you care to share a recipe?  :smile:

First, you need to determine how much poaching liquid you need. Put the pears in the pan you plan to use, cover with water, remove the pears and pour the water into a measuring cup. Measure out 1/3 that amount by volume of sugar. Combine the water and sugar in the pan, turn on the heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved.

I like to poach Bosc pears because they have a pretty shape and hold it well. Peel the pears and use a small melon baller to remove the blossom, if desired. Leave the stems on for a nice effect. For the saffron-rose water pears, add a couple of pinches of saffron threads and rose water pr essence to taste (a little goes a long way) to the syrup. Put the pears in the syrup and simmer until a skewer penetrates easily. It will take about 20 minutes, but can take longer if the pears were very hard. Keep rolling the pears around as the water evaporates, so that all sides are cooked evenly. Remove the pears to a serving dish and boil down the syrup to your liking. I like it to glaze the pears slightly. Pour the thickened syrup over the pears and serve a little with each pear.

This recipe can be varied ad inifinitum, by selecting different combinations of spices, fruit peels, herbs, or spirits. Wine may be used instead of water for the poaching liquid. If you use dry wine, the sugar needs to be increased a little. Red wine produces pears of an unforgettable purple-magenta color.

Edited by Sandra Levine (log)

I think caramel oranges would be a good end to an Indian meal.

Slice all the skin and pith from oranges and slice them cross ways into discs.

Place the discs, slightly overlapping, in a single layer on a beautiful platter.

Pour caramel (toffee) over the top and leave for an hour or two. some of the caramel remains brittle and some dissolves in the juice of the oranges to make a sauce.

You could serve this with a million things: ice cream, kulfi, thick cream and meringues, cake or just by it's self with shredded mint and thin cream.

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

I am drooling reading all this wonderful information on desserts!!! I had a delightful dinner at a friends house in Tampa earlier this week and she served a lovely Coeur ala crème (sp?) with a mango kiwi sauce.... to die for I tell you!

Also I am working on a maple syrup flavored flan, the results are mixed.. any suggestions on what makes a good flan?

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

The recipe is in my next book, slated for next fall. I will dig it up and post it here shortly

Well, nobody mentioned about Malpua (Mal-poora) or "Moong dal Ka Halwa"

Malpua - This is a sweetmeat, an Indian pancake associated with "Saawans" (the rainy season). I have my birthday in Saawan and its my birthday gift from my lovely mom every time I get up on this lovely day.

Its a sweet , syrupy pancake with a soft centre which goes well with Rabri.

Moong Dal Ka Halwa - let Monica explain that :)

Puneet Aggarwal "Sonzy"

Friendly advice on Indian CuisineSonzysKitchen.com

What about Phirni (Rice Pudding)

Rich with cardamom and sprinkled with almonds and pistachios  :wub:

I make this often using a recipe from Madhur Jaffrey, Ia m drooling now just thinking about it!

I love phirni. Divine when made well.

Every trip to New Delhi I make my pilgrimage to Karims in Old Dehi (near Jama Masjid) and while friends eat the meat preparations, I partake in several servings of Phirni.:rolleyes:

Now I am drooling as well. :raz:

Suvir,

I don't know if you have been to Amritsar but there's this Kesar Da Dhaba and his phirni is heavenly.

Ask any punjabi and he'll second my opinion.

And if you are there, be sure to make a trip down to Lawrence road and try Novelty's Fruit Cream.

Puneet Aggarwal "Sonzy"

What about Phirni (Rice Pudding)

Rich with cardamom and sprinkled with almonds and pistachios  :wub:

I make this often using a recipe from Madhur Jaffrey, Ia m drooling now just thinking about it!

I love phirni. Divine when made well.

Every trip to New Delhi I make my pilgrimage to Karims in Old Dehi (near Jama Masjid) and while friends eat the meat preparations, I partake in several servings of Phirni.:rolleyes:

Now I am drooling as well. :raz:

Suvir,

I don't know if you have been to Amritsar but there's this Kesar Da Dhaba and his phirni is heavenly.

Ask any punjabi and he'll second my opinion.

And if you are there, be sure to make a trip down to Lawrence road and try Novelty's Fruit Cream.

Yes it is indeed very good at Kesar da Dhaba. Most anything at Dhabas takes a special flavor. Not sure what it is. What do you think it is??? Any thoughts?

And yes Moong Dal Ka Halwa is superb. It is best eaten in the mornings. You then have all day to digest it.

Love moong dal ka halwa, which is basically a sweet made with Moong lentils. It is a bit heavy on the tummy because of all the ghee or clarified butter used in the cooking process... worth a try though. One spoonful is a door way to pleasure.

If anyone needs a recipe, I would be happy to pm you one

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I have been experimenting with recipes for my forthcoming book, one of the recipes that was a success this weekend was a Praline Shrikhand. Shrikhand is a traditional Indian dessert made with hung yogurt ( people say they find my cooking voilent, hung yogurt wipped cream.. is there a pattern here :raz::cool: .. okay so it is early in the morning and I have yet to have my coffee.. I am allowed one bad joke a day right!!)

The praline gave a wonderful crunch to the velvety dessert.. anyone want to do a taste test... I would be happy to Pm you the recipe

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Homemade ice cream, preferably mango.  After a rip-roaring vindaloo, there's nothing better.

And shrikhand ... there was a tiny hole-in-the-wall Indian place in Greenwich Village that was my first experience with that dessert.  Oh, WOW!  Great stuff!

I tasted Shrikhand for the first time after I married my hubby. It was not something made in our North Indian home, but is a staple in his house, he is from Mumbai. A funny thing, when we got married, a few weeks later I made rice pudding .. a north Indian staple.. my mother in law was horrified.. apparently it is only made on very sad occacions in their part of the world.. live and learn!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Homemade ice cream, preferably mango.  After a rip-roaring vindaloo, there's nothing better.

And shrikhand ... there was a tiny hole-in-the-wall Indian place in Greenwich Village that was my first experience with that dessert.  Oh, WOW!  Great stuff!

I tasted Shrikhand for the first time after I married my hubby. It was not something made in our North Indian home, but is a staple in his house, he is from Mumbai. A funny thing, when we got married, a few weeks later I made rice pudding .. a north Indian staple.. my mother in law was horrified.. apparently it is only made on very sad occacions in their part of the world.. live and learn!

Or it is made for a joyous occasion in those areas called Sharad Poornima.

It is cooked all night... I am sure we have gone through that before on this forum.

In fact it becomes a magical potion.. and can cure many ailnesses.

You were not too far off... But Mother-in-laws have a knack of showing us their better understanding of culture.

I must admit though, Shrikhand is too Bombay what Chaawal Kee Kheer (rice pudding) is to Delhi.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes it is indeed very good at Kesar da Dhaba.  Most anything at Dhabas takes a special flavor.  Not sure what it is.  What do you think it is??? Any thoughts? 

And yes Moong Dal Ka Halwa is superb.  It is best eaten in the mornings.  You then have all day to digest it.

Well ,

I think its the angithi/clay ovens that give it a special flavor. Our home LPG somehow take off that flavor.

And I strongly feel that its a real pleasure when we have food at Dhabas. Love and warmth is how those guys serve you. Ofcourse, hygiene is a different thing

but Dhabas have changed from what they were in early Nineties.

When you make a trip down to Delhi, just visit the Dhaba "Ahuja No. 1" on the Murthal Road, about 50 kms from Delhi. The parathas there are great. The dhaba is 24 hours, has a seating capacity of about 200 people and serves great food.

Regards, Puneet

Puneet Aggarwal "Sonzy"

Even strawberry Shrikhand would seem very nice. To garnish, you can use the traditional kesar and nutmeg. However nutmeg is not advised for those with high blood pressure.

Btw, just a healthy tip - somebody who wants to relieve constipation or bloating , can take a small bowl of Shrikhand with Banana slices.

Regards, puneet

Puneet Aggarwal "Sonzy"