• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

bbq sauce on short notice

katbert

Any suggestions on a decent bottled bbq sauce easily available tomorrow?

I'll be taking it to Vienna so no recipes please. Apparently Austrian bbq sauce is inadequate. (In addition I'll also be hauling brown sugar, pie pans, chocolate chips, peanut butter, weird fake pancake syrup stuff).

Decent?

Available readily?

On Christmas Eve?

This might be a "Choose any two" situation.

Unfortunately, the place that I went to for good sauce--the Spice Corner in the Italian Market--no longer carries BBQ sauces. However, it might be worth calling them to see if they know of a place that still does.

If Austrian BBQ sauces are as lame as you suggest, you may even be able to get away with carrying a bottle of KC Masterpiece with you. You could do worse, and at least it's widely available. If you can find Stubb's in your supermarket, I'd try that sauce first.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Hoboken Eddies Original BBq is one of my choices for a bottled sauce, although some of the other varieties are quite good as well.

Not sure where you are, but there is a store in Blue Bell that carries his line.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

Food Source in Bryn Mawr usually has a set of sauces and rubs on the shelf. Call first, could be seasonal thing, though not for me. I have a line on 8 venison tonight that will be great for my smoker. Only problem is figuring a way to get them off my roof. Rumor has it they're a part of a once-a-year-delivery service run by a fat guy in a red suit.

Happy Holidays and enjoy the sachre tortes.

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Ten Speed Press

That's not entirely suprising. I think it's an underappreciated food retailer that gets lost in the midst of everything else.

That it doesn't do any advertisements, PR or anything to draw attention to itself doesn't help.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

That's not entirely suprising.  I think it's an underappreciated food retailer that gets lost in the midst of everything else.

That it doesn't do any advertisements, PR or anything to draw attention to itself doesn't help.

I'm assuming you're referring to the Food Hall at Strawbridge's 8th and Market.

If so: I agree with your assessment and still lament that what's there now is a mere shadow of what it was when the Strawbridges were still in charge. I think the problem is that this sort of operation is somewhat foreign to American department stores--from what I understood, Stockton Strawbridge got the idea for putting one in his family's flagship store after visiting London and being wowed by the famous Food Hall at Harrods--and most US department store operators really don't feel comfortable running a food market.

Aside from seasonal gift items, I do not recall food for home consumption being sold at any other May Department Stores chain. I suspect that May keeps Strawbridge's Food Hall alive in its current shrunken state because it learned from slightly painful experience what happens when an outsider comes in and immediately starts mucking around with a Philadelphia tradition. And even though it's not even a quarter century old yet, IIRC, the Food Hall at Strawbridge's had already become one by the time May took over the store.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3