• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef has discovered an enzyme...

Teppy

I am interested in how this produce might work in baked goods - any thoughts?

My boyfriend has celiac disease and can't eat wheat because of the gluten. It seems like this stuff might be a reasonable substitute for gluten in baked goods (and there is a growing market for this). Rice flour breads and other baked goods tend to be very crumbly.  Will this stuff bond with proteins in grains (besides wheat, barley or rye)?  will it hold up to baking textures?

Activa Tg would not be a good sub for wheat gluten Activa is used to bind protein It works as a binder or for texture improvement

After slowly working with activa for the past year, we have a few results we are pleased with.  These may be observed in our photo diver scallop and flank steak photo albums at ideasinfood

Enjoy, we did

Very nice work with Activa I really like your flank steak

Remember open Activa sealed tightly will hold for an extended time frozen.

• 3 months later...
Has anyone seen the promos for the new season of Iron Chef America? There's a shot of Wylie squirting something from a bellows contraption into a pot of boiling water. I wonder if it's "shrimp noodles", or something similar.

I have seen the promos and you are on the right track... You'll have to watch the show to find out!!!

It's funny that nobody has mentioned Morimoto's use of this product/method in the Iron Chef. I don't recall it ever being mentioned on the program, I thought folks just always squirted seafood puree out of bags into boiling water that turn into beautiful noodle dishes over there. Neat stuff, thanks for bringing this to the top. Pretty much eliminates the need for butchers twine I guess, I'd like a pound to play with.

• 6 months later...

The show was excellent.

While i still think Wd 50 is brilliant and deserves credit for his continuation of evolution and sourcing ingredients.........I cant help but say that the cocept of "seafood noodles" has been around for a hundred years. The "nimono" section of kaiseki meals always had fish noodles in Nimono made with Surimi (fish paste). Eggs were used to generate the result.

Somewhere in this thread, there is a patent application for seafood noodles by WD-50, that would be like applying for a patent for pasta which is highly questionable.

The Japanese have done it for years and years, the use of transglutaminase only makes it undiluted but that in itself does not make it patent worthy.

The tool you are referring to on the show is called a "SHIBORIKI".

An extremely rare cooking tool which is basically a japanese spaetzle press. they come with a single hole die like wylie used and a shower head multiple hole die for squeezing out a stream of noodles.

• 5 months later...

*re-bump*

So where do we stand wih this now? Nathanm, did you ever develop your vacuum-pressed cold-molded food-grade fish plywood? (Which I'm sure St Thomas would call "planked salmon" LOL)? Has anybody worked with this in emulsion sauces? How about in consomme rafts? How well has it proven to work in charcuterie? Maybe the tasty low-fat sausage barrier is within our grasp!

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

So theoretically, if you got this on you fingers and your fingers were touching, they could get stuck to each other, is there anything to counter the reaction of this ingredient in case something goes wrong ... And how about the whole issue with inhaling this stuff and having your lungs stick to themselves.

Jeremy Behmoaras

Cornell School for Hotel Administration Class '09

Skin sticking is easily prevented with gloves. Also the stuff is NOT like super glue, you have plenty of time to wash it off.

I don't have any data on what it would to your lungs, but i am not anxious to personally find out. So, I use a respirator - just a simple disposable one like painters use - you can get them at any painting store, home depot etc.

Nathan