• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kaale Chane

Does anyone know them?

They are made in Indian homes.  These are black chickpeas, it is from this pea that Besan (chickpea flour) is made.  Or so I am told.

I made some over the weekend, and I realized how much I love them.  I love the meaty texture of these and the recipes I have to make them, are so tasty, I can never have enough of them with rice.

Does anyone else care for them?

I know Nirvana in NYC serves a appetiser portion of Black Chickpeas.  Quite nice actually.

Did you make a soup? Or have them with chiles, tomatoes, and onions? Those are the two ways I've made them.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I have them both ways.. and love them both ways..

In India the dry ones.. the ones with chilies, onions and tomatoes were made in our home for religious holidays.

The soupy ones, were eaten with rice... on our home we made the soupy ones in two styles.. one with an onion and tomato gravy and the other with onions and yogurt.

Both are great.

Yogurt in the soup sounds nice. The one I know used tamarind along with tomatoes and onion.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Yes in India often tamarind is used over yogurt for souring.  Especially to those living in a budget.  Dairy is expensive. And those that deal in it, are more apt at selling it than even using it for their onw pleasure.

I remember most of my own cousins would be surprised at the copious sums of tomatoes used in our kitchen all year long.  Tomatoes are very expensive in India.  My grandma never saved money when it came to food.  It was holy and nothing was done to make it be anything else.

Does anyone know them?

They are made in Indian homes.  These are black chickpeas, it is from this pea that Besan (chickpea flour) is made.  Or so I am told.

Yes !!!! I had them this time in .IN, this is what you'd find in

many Pubjabi homes at least once a week.

This is something no Indian restaurant serves; You do get these in dhabas along NH8 or Delhi-jaipur Highway as it is called.

anil

Yes... but even homes in UP.. where I am from serve these.. the Punjabis and Sindhis make them in a thick sauce... the Jammu families make them ina very runny sauce... similar but distinct from our UP runny sauce preparation of Kaale Chane.

Nirvana in NYC serves them.  And it is one of the better things on that menu.