• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ham, Ham, Ham, Ham in Austin

CindyG111

My best pal & I are cooking a ham on Christmas Day for our families at my house. I just read in today's Statesman about the new Texas Honey Ham Shop on Bee Caves. Think I'll run over there today to see if they are as good as mentioned in the paper.

Has anyone tried these hams? What's your favorite place to get a ham in Austin?

I want a spiral ham for ease of cooking...

:biggrin:

Cindy G

“Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.”

~ Doug Larson ~

Got too tired yesterday after shopping at Central Market to try out the Texas Ham shop.

I could have bought a ham at Central Market but they had the bloody things wrapped up in gold foil.

I don't know about you, but if I'm going to spend $50 on a freekin ham I want to see what it looks like. :angry:

So now my girlfriend & I are off to HEB plus to finish off the Christmas feast shopping and will buy a ham there.

Now ...... what glaze shall we do? May pick one from here

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/find/res...+glaze&x=10&y=8

unless my pals here in Texas wake up and help me out here..... hey! where are y'all? I know it's cold outside.... whine whine whine..... :rolleyes: I could use some help!

:blink:

Cindy G

“Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.”

~ Doug Larson ~

I am doing something similar to the marmalade glazed ham. The marmalade is one that I made earlier this month from little sour oranges grown in our conservatory.

Let us know which you decide on am I will let you know how mine came out.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I am doing something similar to the marmalade glazed ham.  The marmalade is one that I made earlier this month from little sour oranges grown in our conservatory. 

Let us know which you decide on am I will let you know how mine came out.

How did it come out, joiei?

And what did you use CindyG?

I'm thinking about a ham for New Year's -- to go with blackeye peas of course, :wink: since we did a leg o' lamb for Christmas this year. Been thinking about cooking down some dried apricots and orange peel, candied ginger and cloves, making a glaze out of the good pureed juices of that with honey and a touch of the old mustard powder.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the much delayed post :shock:

On Christmas we spend so much time drinking wine and doing the appetizer thing that the ham didn't go in the oven until 8 PM and we didn't give a poo about the glaze. :wacko: and used the mix that came with the ham.

And - sad for me kept the ham in the oven too long. However, my spectacularly wonderful Scottish friends loved it. So I gave their family all of the leftovers. :biggrin:

A note to Jaymes: Now I know why you specified Norwegian Salmon for your wonderful appetizer. When I went to buy my salmon for this I was completely lost as to what the heck this was. I bought salmon that was slices (like I normally get at the grocery store). When you try to roll this up you get a GIANT log. ok - it was yummy and everyone howled at the presentation.

oNE OF these days I'll get it... probably when I quit drinking while cooking. (does anyone else call this the Julia Child method?)

Cindy G

Ps - sorry for the whining 2 previously

Cindy G

~ Doug Larson ~

A note to Jaymes:  Now I know why you specified Norwegian Salmon for your wonderful appetizer.  When I went to buy my salmon for this I was completely lost as to what the heck this was.  I bought salmon that was slices (like I normally get at the grocery store).  When you try to roll this up you get a GIANT log.

Ah yes, that's the John Holmes version.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I went with the apricot/orange peel glaze. My oh my, that was good. Definite keeper. :biggrin:

We got our ham shank at our local HEB. Good stuff. No gold foil. :wink:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite