• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish/shellfish vendors in Chinatown

zeitoun

Amongst the myriad of fish stalls that dot the streets of chinatown (in Manhattan), which ones would you recommend? I know there are really bad ones out there, I am looking for lobster. Can I get away with finding something decent and not outrageously priced?

Thanks!

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

On a recent visit (one week ago) I only found two stands on Canal. While I didn't do an exhaustive search of the side streets, I did look around and didn't find anything else worthwhile. Was it my imagination or has the number of seafood vendors in Chinatown slipped? By the way, both of the Canal vendors seemed decent, albeit unspectacular.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

There is a seafood distributor with giant tanks of different size lobsters and dungeness crab on the northeast corner of Hester and Allen Streets. Don't know the name, but I've bought really fresh lobster in there, so they do sell retail.

I also like the seafood place on the south side of Grand St. just north of Christie. Lots and lots of fresh whole fish - like 5 different types of snapper, delicious U-15 shrimp, good mussels (check date in the bag) and clams, etc.

I find the one thing to avoid at these Chinese markets is scallops - they're never dry, and certainly nowhere near as good as Wild Edibles, Citarella, etc.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On a recent visit (one week ago) I only found two stands on Canal.

I think much of the Canal St. food business (small stores of produce or seafood) has moved on to other streets, like Grand, East Broadway, Mott, Hester, etc. The biz in rip-off pocketbooks, scarves, and everything else imaginable has taken over Canal - probably a heck of a lot more profitable than yu choy or blue crabs!

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I specifically looked on Mott and surrounding streets and was surpriseed to not find anything. Interestingly, it was specifically blue crabs that I was looking for.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

The fish didn't look too bad to me. The crabs I ultimately bought were ok, although not particularly special.

Twitter - @docsconz

I'm chinese and although I firmly believe that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, I'd not sure if I'd be so brave as to buy fish from chinatown.

I adopted the same principle. I always buy my fish from my fishmonger in Brooklyn (Fish tales, amazing quality). They do sell lobster but it is kind of expensive and since I will be feeding a lot of mouths for my Xmas dinner, I thought I could avoid the hefty bill by going to chinatown. This might be unwise after all.

I really didn't notice anything that I thought was out of the ordinary or unsanitary. You got me curious, Ya-Roo. Tell us more!

Twitter - @docsconz

On a recent visit (one week ago) I only found two stands on Canal. While I didn't do an exhaustive search of the side streets, I did look around and didn't find anything else worthwhile. Was it my imagination or has the number of seafood vendors in Chinatown slipped? By the way, both of the Canal vendors seemed decent, albeit unspectacular.

There are two fish shops on Grand right off the B/D line that are good. I've purchased lobster from both and they've been fine, although the one on the South side is better (if only because the guy who helped me knew how to pick out female lobsters). Just make sure when they take them out of the tanks that the lobsters are alive and kicking. They sometimes tend to throw them into bags quickly, but do demand to inspect them. Last time I got them, both had specials--3 for $21 or 1 for $7.50.

Never had an experience but I once saw some guy hosing down a box of frozen shrimps on the sidewalk with hot water, and breaking it paprt with his foot on Grand Street and that was enough for me.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Never had an experience but I once saw some guy hosing down a box of frozen shrimps on the sidewalk with hot water, and breaking it paprt with his foot on Grand Street and that was enough for me.

I could see how that could be a turn-off :laugh: I guess it might be better to stick to "live" product there!

Twitter - @docsconz

I could see how that could be a turn-off :laugh: I guess it might be better to stick to "live" product there!

Not so sure actually, in some places, the live fish tanks are so crowded that if you look at them closely, you will notice that half the fish there is motionless (i guess they died from suffocation?) Some fish will actually begin nibbling on their defunct tankmates. Not a happy sight.

My mind is set, I just ordered my lobster at Fish Tales.

Not so sure actually, in some places, the live fish tanks are so crowded that if you look at them closely, you will notice that half the fish there is motionless (i guess they died from suffocation?) Some fish will actually begin nibbling on their defunct tankmates. Not a happy sight.

True, but at least you should be able to judge just by looking at the tanks and the apparent health of the fish or other live sea critters as well as the general level of crowding

Twitter - @docsconz

True, but at least you should be able to judge just by looking at the tanks and the apparent health of the fish or other live sea critters as well as the general level of crowding

You are absolutely right. I have so far not seen fish tanks in chinatown that met the very basic criteria of care and sanitation. When considering the "visual" health of fish itself, it becomes even more challenging of a task with live lobsters. You could easily spot a dead (or even sick) fish from a live one, it is harder to do with a lobster. They tend to be more...static and idle.

Are there some signs and clues to look for when checking the overall condition of a lobster?

The biggest one I look for is friskiness. If it is frisky, it most likely hasn't been in the tank too long and is in decent health.

Twitter - @docsconz

The biggest one I look for is friskiness. If it is frisky, it most likely hasn't been in the tank too long and is in decent health.

By friskiness I assume you mean sudden bursts of tail flapping when intruded upon? That makes sense.

Thanks for the input

My wife saw something similar in San Francisco's chinatown once--guy breaking up frozen meat by throwing it down on the cobblestones in the alley behind the shop. No reason to believe these are completely isolated incidents.

I only shop for vegetables in Chinatown. I work on Grand St., and see the delivery trucks unloading the crates of produce every morning. At least I don't think they're throwing the bok choy on the sidewalk, but I guess I could be wrong. :unsure:

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Years ago I bought salmon one night at a very wellknown place on the upper west side and then a few nights later in one of the shops on Grand Street for about a third the price. We will swear that the salmon purchased in Chinatown was better tasting, if anything. That led me to start buying more fish in Chinatown. This was over ten years ago. Since then, I've realized that there's excellent value in Chinatown, but that one has to be careful and know one's fish and seafood. A few bad purchaes here and there and the savings are eliminated. Whole fish are far easier to examine than filets. The mussels these days are tagged and you can examine the date on the tag. The only mussels I ever purchased and could not eat were from Balducci's when it had its best reputation. At Chintown prices I understand everything that can possibly be sold, will be sold to a customer. At a store commanding top prices, you should be able to depend on the shop not to sell seafood that's clearly passed its prime. In the end, that's probably why I still consider buying fish in Chinatown. It's expected on both sides that I'm going to be on my guard, question and examine the product. All things considered, we buy most of our fish at the Greenmarket in Union Square these days.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Bux, I bought some great LI clams at the greenmarket yesterday, but I tend to do the bulk of my shopping in Chinatown - mostly on Grand and E Broadway, because it's really close to where I live.

I have yet to have a problem with any purchase in Chinatown - you can touch and smell and look closely before you buy, which I can't necessarily do at some more upscale locations. The turnover of most of the fish is enormous.

I've brought smelly fish home from the fish department at A & V - before I realized you have to check everything out before you bring it home. So, as always, with any purchase anywhere, it's caveat emptor. There is plenty of weird stuff that goes on in the back rooms at even the high end places!

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I've bought live shrimp out of the tank at Hong Kong Supermarket (East Bway and Allen); most of the tanks there look pretty clean and not overly crowded. Ditto those at the supermarket under the Manhattan Bridge.

However, my purveyor of choice for lobster is still The Lobster Place, in Chelsea Market. The retail prices there are not all that much above what they charge restaurants (I know this because I used to check in their delivery when I worked at Match Uptown). And their cooked lobsters can be a real bargain -- so long as you don't mind that they were the rejects returned from restaurants.

I've bought live shrimp out of the tank at Hong Kong Supermarket (East Bway and Allen); most of the tanks there look pretty clean and not overly crowded. Ditto those at the supermarket under the Manhattan Bridge.

However, my purveyor of choice for lobster is still The Lobster Place, in Chelsea Market. The retail prices there are not all that much above what they charge restaurants (I know this because I used to check in their delivery when I worked at Match Uptown). And their cooked lobsters can be a real bargain -- so long as you don't mind that they were the rejects returned from restaurants.

Thanks Suzanne for the info, i'm picking up my lobsters tomorrow. I'm buying them at $10 a pound, so I am not sure if that is expensive or not. I'll try the chelsea market next time and compare quality and prices.

Thank you all for your generous comments!