• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breath Mints

Jason Perlow

Lets face it, with some of the more aggressively flavored stuff that eG Society members like to eat, some of our mouths are not tasting and smelling as fresh as they should be.

But I like flavor in a breath mint as much as I like their refreshing and cleansing qualities.

I've been a fan of the classic Peppermint Altoids for a long time now, but I now have an affitinity for their newest flavor, the Ginger. For some reason, Ginger appears to be the strongest of them all, and its got a serious kick to it. I find it to be very effective in neutralizing some of the flavors and smells of various Asian cuisines, particularly those that use a lot of garlic.

While I am not crazy about their flavor, I also like the Listerine strips, simply for their effectiveness. The cinnamon one I think is the least offensive tasting.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

altoids also has a licorice flavored mint. i have to admit i don't know how well it freshens breath, but it's licorice-y and spicy and altogether great.

those eclipse mints that come in a rectangular tin are my latest candidate for most effective thing i've used to date (except for copious amounts of green tea, which trump every breath freshening candy).

Lets face it, with some of the more aggressively flavored stuff that eG Society members like to eat, some of our mouths are not tasting and smelling as fresh as they should be.

Like the stinky cheeses and a bit of lutefisk?? :laugh:

Good news! In cyber space, bad breath not an issue!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Add another vote for ginger Altoids.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to find them in the Montreal area, and have to stock up whenever I'm in the States.

If the regular Peppermint Altoids is like dropping a Daisy Cutter on bad breath, then the Ginger is like a WMD.

I'd actually like to see a Galangal/Lemongrass version, as an accompaniment to Thai or Vietnamese food.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Yeah, actually Galangal/Lemongrass combined with mint and perhaps some kaffir lime oil would be awesome, it would sort of encapsulate all of Southeast Asia in a mint.

Yeah, actually Galangal/Lemongrass combined with mint and perhaps some kaffir lime oil would be awesome, it would sort of encapsulate all of Southeast Asia in a mint.

That does sounds awesome. It also sounds a bit like something you might be given as a palate clenser at a restaurant like Moto or Alinea. Mmmm....

in italy where eating is often paired with copious coffee consumption and cigs, altoids don't quite hit the mark but a GOLIA minted liquorice gummy very small oh so potent and a tough little gel tidbit is glorious. you can taste them even when you have a cold - imagine!

Edited by Bernaise (log)

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

Add another vote for ginger Altoids.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to find them in the Montreal area, and have to stock up whenever I'm in the States.

Can't get them in the Vancouver area, either. I love them! I also saw the Licorice Altoids on a recent trip to Seattle. Unfortunately I found them a bit overwhelming. Like a chemical weapon. Still got 90% of an unfinished box.

Lately I've gotten some green tea mints, made in Japan, at one of the Asian markets here in Vancouver. They're mostly "mint", with a hint of astringent green tea. Quite good. And the Japanese have invented some cool mint dispensing technology. A cross between Pez and a credit card.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Breathsavers' Vanilla Mints. I can only find them one place around here, so when I'm there, I stock up. I don't know how effective they are, but they sure taste good. Especially for a sugar free mint.

I kind of like the Altoids, but the taste is a little strong for me.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I've been liking Hint Mints. Plus, they have great packaging.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I am deprived! I haven't even seen the Altoids Ginger!

Love the Altoids Cinnamon.

I like the galangal/lemongrass/kaffir lime/mint idea, Jason.

Munching on fennel seeds and mint leaves too, great breath cleanser.

Why aren't we marketing this stuff? :laugh:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

You know what are surprisingly good mints?  Target's house brand.

Target does have good mints. The canister is a pain in the ass to get open, though.

I can never find those heavenly little menthol licorice pellets. Lakerol menthol licorice pastilles (sugarfree!) are pretty good, though I don't find them often.

"Hey, don't borgnine the sandwich." -- H. Simpson