• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Winter/Holiday/Christmas Beer Haul

john b

Winter is my favorite time of the year to go beer shopping. This year's purchases (and I'm not done yet):

Victory Old Horizontal

Anchor Our Special Ale 2004

Corsendonk Christmas Ale

Stoudt's Winter Ale

Unibroue Edition 2004

2003 Samichlaus

Still looking for:

Troeg's Mad Elf

Weyerbacher Winter Ale (which has the best label of all the winter beers!)

Are there any others that stand out this year??

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

I always reccomend a case of Noche Bueno if you can find it. Usually, the best way, is to call the local Modelo Distributor and find out who bought a bunch of it. Distributors only get it in limited supplies and can only get it once, so you have to shop early.

It's the best product they make, even better than Negro Modelo.

Samichlaus is always a fine choice. It'll keep you warm, or, even if you are not warm, you won't care!

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Winter is my favorite time of the year to go beer shopping.  This year's purchases (and I'm not done yet):

Victory Old Horizontal

Anchor Our Special Ale 2004

Corsendonk Christmas Ale

Stoudt's Winter Ale

Unibroue Edition 2004

2003 Samichlaus

Still looking for:

Troeg's Mad Elf

Weyerbacher Winter Ale (which has the best label of all the winter beers!)

Are there any others that stand out this year??

Sounds like a good list. I just had the Weyerbacher the other night and, unfortunately, I'd have to say that the label was the highlight. Perhaps it will age better, but I found it rather closed and dominated by a smoky, woody flavor rather than the hoped-for holiday spices. Tasted the Anchor last night and that was a winner.

For another idea, you might want to try Santa's Private Reserve from Rogue. I haven't tried it yet but it's on my list. Another good holiday seasonal is Bad Elf.

Edited by Brent Kulman (log)

I messed up and got Bad Elf instead of Mad   :sad:

nice but i won't recommend it especially considering its price.

The weird thing about Bad Elf is that it is a very nice English IPA masquerading as a holiday seasonal. Mad Elf, with its maltiness and Belgian fruit influences (cherry/honey tones), is much more fitting for a celebration beer during the holiday season.

Edited by Brent Kulman (log)