• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kolachy Takes Vancouver!

Chef Fowke

Stay tuned for the new kolachy 'o the week!  I have the inside, and it's gonna be a good'un.  One that nobody's even mentioned ...  :wink:

Aha! I beat you to this one Arne! :raz: Was in at 11:30 a.m. picking up some kolachies for the Mouse House and also got the goods from Keith. The new kolachy should be available tomorrow and will definitely be worth waiting in line for! Out of respect to Keith and Jason, I won't tattle... you'll just have to head down and find out for yourselves. :wink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Darn

I was going to surpise everyone and show up today. Since Ling's and Deborah's avatars are pictures of themselves - I was going say hello let you guys know in person how much I enjoy everyone's postings.

But - work had be trapped - partly because I spent 3 hours of work time on egullet last Friday.

The you guys could also see that I look nothing like Nigella Lawson. Not. Even. Close.

I look forward to the next impromptu egullet swarming.

Stay tuned for the new kolachy 'o the week!  I have the inside, and it's gonna be a good'un.  One that nobody's even mentioned ...  :wink:

Aha! I beat you to this one Arne! :raz: Was in at 11:30 a.m. picking up some kolachies for the Mouse House and also got the goods from Keith. The new kolachy should be available tomorrow and will definitely be worth waiting in line for! Out of respect to Keith and Jason, I won't tattle... you'll just have to head down and find out for yourselves. :wink:

Well, since they're closed now I can tell you it's got something to do with pesto & goat cheese! What Keith & Jason will respect is a big-ass line-up out the door!

We must have missed you by about 10 minutes Joie ...

Arne

OK, this is serious. How am I ever going to try a kolachy? I'm in school Mon-Fri, and I'm on the bus before the kolachy shop opens, and back downtown after they close. No days off for next 4 months, and then I go back to Hong Kong.

How long do kolachys survive outside their natural environment? Can they be reheated - assuming I can trust one of you to buy one and not eat it for a few hours?

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Apparently a new kolachy coming down the pipe is pot roast, replete with gravy. Dear God, I think I've died and gone to kolachy heaven.

And guess what the Mouse House is having for dinner along with our cucumber salad?! Hence, HKDave, they survive just fine reheated. Best to reheat them the same day of purchase, but day-old kolachies are okay too.

Would've have loved to hang around with y'all today, but I was en route to preschool with Noah. Hence, I'll be out of the loop on Tuesdays for perhaps another week or two until the preschool schedule evens out.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Apparently a new kolachy coming down the pipe is pot roast, replete with gravy.  Dear God, I think I've died and gone to kolachy heaven.

Yes, that's the kolachy of the week ... pot roast. But Keith is ADDING the pesto one to the regular menu.

HKDave ... PM me ... we'll work something out :hmmm:

A.

Thanks, Dad. Now I know how to pronounce kolachy. But, where does the word come from? Is it made up or what? Enquiring minds with nothing better to do want to know.

S

Well, according to the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, the word kolachy (also spelled kolache) is derived from a Czech word meaning wheel-shaped cake. I've heard others say that kolachy is also a Polish delicacy.

Where, oh where would the world be today without Google...

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

I haven't asked my Grandma yet, but I have a feeling it may also be a Ukranian word. I'll get back to everyone on that. :raz:

On another note, is anyone else shocked and amazed that the Kolachy thread is now 4 pages?

I want to know how you pronounce kolachy. Is it Ukranian for stuffed bun? And if Peppyre is stuck in the hospital, why is there no one offering to deliver kolachys (kolachies) to her bedside? :smile:

Shelora, shivering her timbers on Vancouver Island.

Shelora,

Ask, and ye shal receive: Clickety clickety.

A.

There's controversy about the pronunciation... at least in Colorado. :wacko: Story here: http://www.springshomeandgarden.com/fullStory.jsp?id=2473 But they do come down on the side of Czech origin.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I love goat cheese. I love pot roast. I love gravy. Just thought I'd share. :laugh:

How very magnanimous of you.

Ain't nobody be sharin' my Pot Roast kolachy when I get my hands on one! :raz::wink:

And the Mushroom Pesto kolachy is pretty damn tasty too (says she, as she crumples up her brown paper kolachy bag). Happy tummy now. :wub:

Joie Alvaro Kent

Well, since they're closed now I can tell you it's got something to do with pesto & goat cheese! What Keith & Jason will respect is a big-ass line-up out the door!

We must have missed you by about 10 minutes Joie ...

Arne

PESTO AND GOAT CHEESE???? Two of the foods that prove there is indeed a benevolent God. I may just stage my own swarming, starting tomorrow.....

Oh Damn, I can't - I'm in Edmonton now and won't be back in vancouver until Wednesday evening. :sad:

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Neil: you're welcome :smile:

Joie: sorry you didn't hang around!

Canucklehead: every Tuesday!

Butter, Arne, Mike, Lee, Lorna: nice to meet you!

Keith: oh, darn, I don't like goat cheese! But I can always have a Chicken Club or a nice pizza Kolachy...

:biggrin:

Nice to meet you too, Deb. Ditto for everyone else. Its' always cool to be able to associate a real person with their posts.

BTW, the pizza kolachy I had was not all that great. Picture pepperoni, sauce and a hint of cheese put in a blender for 5 seconds - not what I had in mind at all. But I have faith that the Kolachy Gods will not disappoint with Goat cheese and pesto up next. :cool:

www.leecarney.com

Apparently a new kolachy coming down the pipe is pot roast, replete with gravy.  Dear God, I think I've died and gone to kolachy heaven.

I spotted these being made while we were eating today. Big chunks of roast and carrots in the filling...... mmmmmmmmmmmm

www.leecarney.com

I want to send out a thank you to the egullet gang for thinking of the poor shut in at the Hamilton Street Grill, who despite only being a couple of blocks away, can't seem to get his own Kolachy and has to rely on the kindness of other to bring one over. This gang does not iclude Chef Fowke, who despite lots of empty promises has never come across with a single Kolachy.

When I become 'Employeed' again I will buy you one million Kolachies and personally deliver them to you!!! :biggrin:

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Kolachy shut in or Kolachy Charity case ?

2 egulleters, not one dropped off Kolachys today.

Chef Fowke , if you were anywhere near, I would have shared with you, breaking the Kolachy war !

Chef,

I think you'd get your daily hit if you had a sign in front of HSG that says, "Kolachy Drop-off - 5 Minute Parking Allowed"

BTW I was not at the KS today

Kolachy shut in or Kolachy Charity case ?

2 egulleters, not one dropped off Kolachys today.

Chef Fowke , if you were anywhere near, I would have shared with you, breaking the Kolachy war !

Chef,

I think you'd get your daily hit if you had a sign in front of HSG that says, "Kolachy Drop-off - 5 Minute Parking Allowed"

BTW I was not at the KS today

Does anyone have any connections at City Hall ?

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

While stuffing our faces with chocolate tarts at Bravo Bistro late last night, I suggested the idea of a chocolate ganache kolachy. It'd be pricey, certainly, but I know eGulleters would gladly buck up for it!

Joie Alvaro Kent

It's a fact!

Kolachies are a great disaster food...When I (actually as of the writing of this post I still am) was evacuated from my house Kolachy Keith showed up with a big bag of Kolachies to help tie me over!

Finally I got to eat a pot roast Kolachy. Now my favourite.

I just cannot believe that I had to have 15000 tons of mud and hillside slide down into my backyard to finally get one! The Kolachy is become a rare item...try getting one after 3pm, they are usually sold out!

Anyone going for Kolachies this week should PM me, I have some spare time; unemployed and of 'no fixed address'! :rolleyes::laugh:

Chef/Owner/Teacher