• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kolachy Takes Vancouver!

Chef Fowke

:laugh:

:wub:

...and what of the mushroom pesto? I thought it began as a feature...I could be wrong though.

I just checked with my inside source: you are correct. This phenomena has actually happened only once before, with the mushroom pesto (and rightly so).

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Anyone interested in seeing the shop can visit me on Tuesday, after 3pm. I will be onsite working on new recipes. The shop closes at 7pm and I am free for a beer (at Dix, across the street ~ my other favourite place!) with anyone who is interested.

Congratulations.

So tonight at 7 at DIX? I sort of have plans teaching tonight, but I might be able to change them.

Luckily my husband and I (and our dog) didn't get hit by the Hummer that ran the red at Beatty and Cambie, and we were able to pick up lunch -- 3 steak and guinness and a mushroom pesto between us.

The beef was very moist, and I appreciated the peas, too. Would love to see this special return.

I had never had the mushroom pesto before today and will undoubtedly order it again. An abundance of mushroom, and a subtle yet flavorful pesto -- which is good, in my opinion (I am personally not a fan of the very strong pesto).

Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

I am also kolachy-free. I was waiting for the hype to die down. So by the looks of things, I'll be gumming away at my first kolachy while sitting in my rocking chair, shaking my head over how fast the kids drive their hover cars nowadays, and cursing the nurse for being late with my soma. At least it's something to look forward to. :wink:

So I went to the web site to check on the hours - no mention anywhere that I clicked. When do the new hours go into effect?

I think this is their first Saturday opening as well ... don't quote me.

I spoke with Keith last week and he said they'd be adding a pop-up to the website to announce the new hours. No sign of it so far

A.

Saturdays have been in the rotation for two weeks now. This'll be their third weekend open.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 2 weeks later...

Saturdays have been in the rotation for two weeks now. This'll be their third weekend open.

..and now we have added the Premium Breakfast/Brunch Kolachy ~ This week: roasted pepper, brie and pancetta omellete...and at lunch; peppercorn steak with Vancouver Island woodland mushrooms.

The Bald Guy is on vacation all week so I will be in shop...I always have time for a chat, drink, eat, etc...and I am wireless (finally!!!) so email me and I will recieve it during the day.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Arnie,

I just found a bag of Okra in the cooler...did today's gumbo have Okra in it?

Brian

So now I've become your quality control expert? :raz: I didn't notice any okra.

Just finished the Brie & Pancetta for breakfast. Awesome! Perfect with a latte.

The Peppercorn Steak was excellent too. Not as good as the Steak & Guiness, but worthy of the Kolachy Shop's newest shop-keep.

By the way Brian, you should be wearing an apron when you work the counter. And for God's sake, shave! :laugh:

A.

There was an Kolachy place featured on Food TV last night (Top 5 - God help my social life so I don't have to watch that crap anymore) and they featured a 'Kolachee" drive through. I think they were in the Mid-West US though.

Our local purveyor had more interesting fillings but they had sweet versions of the buns.

Arnie,

I just found a bag of Okra in the cooler...did today's gumbo have Okra in it?

Brian

So now I've become your quality control expert? :raz: I didn't notice any okra.

Just finished the Brie & Pancetta for breakfast. Awesome! Perfect with a latte.

The Peppercorn Steak was excellent too. Not as good as the Steak & Guiness, but worthy of the Kolachy Shop's newest shop-keep.

By the way Brian, you should be wearing an apron when you work the counter. And for God's sake, shave! :laugh:

A.

Check...

Apron

Shave

New Chef inspired fillings

Ready for the Kolachy!

Chef/Owner/Teacher

The Holding Company I work for has acquired an interest in the Kolachy Shop and I have been appointed the 'lead guy'.

So, I will abstain from posting on the Kolachy Shop from now on.

You've managed to abstain from abstaining 6 times already, Chef! :laugh:

Seriously, as long as you're not shilling, what's the problem? Post on....

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

The Holding Company I work for has acquired an interest in the Kolachy Shop and I have been appointed the 'lead guy'.

So, I will abstain from posting on the Kolachy Shop from now on.

You've managed to abstain from abstaining 6 times already, Chef! :laugh:

Seriously, as long as you're not shilling, what's the problem? Post on....

you mean like describing this weeks feature (starting on Thursday)...

Fresh Wild BC Sockeye Salmon in a porcini mushroom, shallot and vermouth cream with organic (hand-picked) prairie rice

and

Hoisin BT shrimps in a miso, lemongras, thai chili, etc broth...

Note: order the large, you get two shrimps!!!

I would hate to forget the Western Omelette Kolachy being released this weekend

...or

The invite only (eGullet) 'stuff your own kolachy' for charity coming in August. 30 guests on a sunday drinking only the finest of BC wines and competing for the honours of the Kolachy of the week....

I am onsite Tuesday and Saturdays...anyone wanting to talk Kolachys, food or eGullet can meet me after 7:00pm at Dix!

Brian

Chef/Owner/Teacher

• 2 months later...

Well, I haven't written in here for a while...I had ODed on the kolachys a bit, but now that the weather is miserable, I'm all about the soup!

The feature today is a Turkey Dinner but even though that's a terrific kolachy, I know a turkey dinner is in my future, so I just stuck with the black bean soup, delicious (of course).

BUT! they are currently doing a Pumpkin Pie kolachy. :shock: it's more of an open-faced affair than the usual kind, with a more rigid but still bready crust, with lovely dark and spicy pumpkin and...I suppose it's custard of some kind on top of that. it is SOMETHING ELSE.

I had one the other day, and had to treat myself today as it's Friday, after all, and I was strong and avoided the office doughnuts this morning (yay, me!).

Suggest you try to get ahold of one of these! they are just divine.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Suggest that, perhaps, a friend could pick one of these up for another friend... and a Turkey Dinner one too while that friend is at it. :rolleyes:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Suggest that, perhaps, a friend could pick one of these up for another friend... and a Turkey Dinner one too while that friend is at it. :rolleyes:

Keith's gotta add an online ordering component to his web site!

I must have just missed Deborah ... was there at noon, but only to pick up and dash. Turkey Dinner would have been better with some cranberry relish IMO. Reuben was excellent as always. Is it just me or do the kolachies have a heavier crust on them than before? I like it!

A.