• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kolachy Takes Vancouver!

Chef Fowke

Clear out your browser cache and try the link again. I just clicked it and it works fine for me.

Barring that, The Kolachy Shop is on Beatty Street right across from Dix.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I spent the day with the owner of the Kolachy Shop, very interesting young man. Seems the Shop is in a growth pattern, in a few weeks they are going to extend hours to 7am - 7pm and open on Saturdays! Free WiFi is already installed and a HUGE convenience for us eGullet geeks! I can now post WHILE I am eating the Kolachys!

More importantly I got to tour the kitchen and got an 'insiders' view of the operation. Everything is made and baked fresh, to order; very old world quality.

All I can say is very cool. Quality product, with an amusing twist, is being branded to a clientele bored of the same-old-same-old.

I helped make the soup for tomorrow, a Jamaican Jump-Up Black-Eyed Soup; roasted sweet peppers with jalapeños, coconut milk, lemon grass, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon. Slightly spicy with a sweet coconut finish. As authentic as it gets, I could almost feel the Jamaican sand between my toes…

And I hear that the feature Kolachy is slow roasted, glazed, pork loin with apple!

I think tomorrow afternoon will be spent on the patio gorging on those savoury buns of flavour!

Edited by Chef Fowke (log)

Chef/Owner/Teacher

That soup sounds unbelievably good. Baked Potato Soup with bacon and cheese (translate: heart attack in a cup) was on yesterday's menu... it really hit the spot on a cool, showery spring day.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 2 weeks later...
Kolachy Keith informed me today that tomorrow's feature will be butter chicken.

I may have to go to two kolachys, no soup...

We must have missed each other by minutes ...

The Black Bean Soup today was good. Special kolachy was pork chops & apple sauce. Lots of chop, not so much sauce.

Looking forward to Korma Korma Korma Kolachy ... (w/ apologies to the Culture Club).

A.

I spent the day with the owner of the Kolachy Shop, very interesting young man. Seems the Shop is in a growth pattern, in a few weeks they are going to extend hours to 7am - 7pm and open on Saturdays! Free WiFi is already installed and a HUGE convenience for us eGullet geeks! I can now post WHILE I am eating the Kolachys! 

More importantly I got to tour the kitchen and got an 'insiders' view of the operation. Everything is made and baked fresh, to order; very old world quality.

All I can say is very cool. Quality product, with an amusing twist,  is being branded to a clientele bored of the same-old-same-old.

I helped make the soup for tomorrow, a Jamaican Jump-Up Black-Eyed Soup; roasted sweet peppers with jalapeños, coconut milk, lemon grass, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon. Slightly spicy with a sweet coconut finish. As authentic as it gets, I could almost feel the Jamaican sand between my toes…

And I hear that the feature Kolachy is slow roasted, glazed, pork loin with apple!

I think tomorrow afternoon will be spent on the patio gorging on those savoury buns of flavour!

I had the feature Kolachy yesterday, slow roasted, glazed pork loin with apple. It was dry and tasteless. However, the pastry is good. Although the pastry is different, it seems very similar to Chinese steamed buns.

I'll have to try other flavors to give it a fair trial. The soup sounds delicious tho.

Forgot to mention the Strawberry Rhubarb kolachy that I tried last week... a lovely tart jammy filling. Mmmm.

And the "Wonton" Soup with lemongrass broth. Keith explained that "wonton" was in quotes because they used Toianese dumplings as opposed to regular wonton. It was soooooooooo good.

How sad am I. *Deborah* just reminded me of today's butter chicken kolachy. I'm going to pick some up before lunch. :blink::rolleyes:

Joie Alvaro Kent

I've been to the Kolachy shop three times now trying different types that they offer. I'm amazed at the Woo Woo reviews this place gets because I just don't think they are that great.

Different Tastes and different people I know, but the hoopla that this thread just goes on and on makes it sound like a phenomenon.

Maybe they are slipping a little extra "something" into the Kolachy's the regulars are getting... :laugh:

I've been to the Kolachy shop three times now trying different types that they offer.  I'm amazed at the Woo Woo reviews this place gets because I just don't think they are that great. 

Different Tastes and different people I know, but the hoopla that this thread just goes on and on makes it sound like a phenomenon.

That's true PaoPao ... different strokes and all that. For example, you like LilyKate a lot more than I do ... :rolleyes:

I don't consider Kolachy to be a phenomonon ... it's just a good inexpensive lunch. I agree with Deborah about the soups, but then I'm a soup guy. I have my favorite kolachies (Reuben and Mushroom Pesto) and those Keith hides from me 'cuz I really don't like them :laugh:

IMO, this thread goes on and on because nobody else offers them and they've developed a cult-like status. "Rocky Horror" is a pretty average movie, but it still packs them in.

A.

PS ... Butter Chicken Kolachy - good, but not in my top 3. Now, if you could get the Butter Chicken from Bombay Bhel ... :wink:

I've been to the Kolachy shop three times now trying different types that they offer.  I'm amazed at the Woo Woo reviews this place gets because I just don't think they are that great. 

Maybe they are slipping a little extra "something" into the Kolachy's the regulars are getting...  :laugh:

I think part of it is "cheering for the underdog." Two brothers put it all on the line and create something that no one has ever heard of before and create a brand and a name for themselves in a world where MacDonalds rules. It is a simple product that you can eat with one hand, inexpensive and filling. It is made in house with real products ( as opposed to mystery meat and edible chemicals ).

It is setting the world on fire ? Perhaps not , but people recognize the effort, care and personalities involved. They read the board and are friendly to the egulleters, and welcome the enthusiasm. Nothing wrong with that.

I myself would like to see less green peppers in them but that is just me.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Okay, so the bald guy hates me! FINE!

Anyone know what the feature Kolachy is this week? Maybe I can get Joy to pick one upf for me...

Cubie.

To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art La Rochefoucauld

Finally went to the Kolahchy shop for the first time in a year or so and had the feature - Butter Chicken. It was good, but I wish the filling was a little more moist - as it was it was a little dried out.

I enjoyed the texture and tanginess of the bun (reminded me of Ethiopian injera a little), but the fact that they give the kolachy a quick hit in the microwave was *murder* on the bread. Microwave and bread do not go well together at all.

Here's a suggestion - have a steamer going and pop the kolachy into a 10-second steam bath. I think it would perk up the filling and moisten the bread a little. Although there might be a risk of the koalchys (kolachies?) turning into a steaming pile of goo. ...must think this through more

After purusing the rave reviews, I finally gave the Kolachy Shop a try last week. To sum it up in a two words: BIG DISAPPOINTMENT! With staunch Southern Slavic roots and proud gastronomes in the family, "kolach" means any sweet cake or pastry. The 'pastry' at KS was bread. And lots of it too! Barely any perceptible filling whatsoever. Admittedly, perhaps it was the dismal selection at the time I arrived at 1 pm that could be the reason for my lack of "wow" factor, however, I was hoping for more of a yeasted/flaky pastry that surrounds a rather substantial filling. What I got was, well, dismal and insipid. I ordered the BBQ Beef - well I could have done better boiling up a tough cut of bottom round and adding some Bulls-Eye! Ick. The apricot filling in the dessert kolachy I had was too dried-apricot-ish. Very plain and boring although I liked that it wasn't too sweet. Cherry was like canned cherry pie filling, and don't get me started on the revolting lemon curd/cranberry compote (was that sticky substance LEMON CURD? really?!? - I mean what does it take to make a decent lemon curd even for the most cooking-challenged among us?) And where were the cranberries, the fact that the lemon "curd" was died a pinkish hue doesn't qualify as "cranberry compote"! :wacko: I would have liked to have tried the apple/cheddar and the poppy seed, but no, by 1pm they were sold out. Comparing our old family traditional kolach to these I'd say we should start a shop - at least ours would be tasty! My aunt's Makovnjaca (Poppy Seed Rolls) are divine. Sorry Kolachy shop, I live to eat my kolachy at home.

Hmm, not knowing a kolach from a kebabcine (sp?) prior to this shop opening, I will stick with liking them. Not expecting pastry, I am content with dough.

I find the BBQ gives me heartburn (I never got heartburn till I quit smoking, weird, eh?) so I mostly stick to the feature or the Greek or sometimes the Pizza. I seldom have room, after a (fabulous) soup and a feature, for a dessert one, so I can't really comment on them as by the time I eat any of the ones I've gotten, it's hours later, and I think a fresh kolachy is a good kolachy. And I'm always too lazy to pop it in the micro for 15 seconds.

Keith mentioned in passing the other day that the next feature will be a tuna melt! I am sure it won't measure up to the traditional tuna melts served by all of our babas, but I think I will probably like it! :smile:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

• 3 weeks later...

:biggrin:

Time to come clean...

But first, I want it understood that the following happened after I started this thread! Really!

The Holding Company I work for has acquired an interest in the Kolachy Shop and I have been appointed the 'lead guy'. I can tell you that the input and the passion of the eGullet members in Vancouver made the decision easy.

Why did they buy it;

1. Unique product (not another coffee, pizza, hamburger, donut, bagel shop).

2. Tag line: fork free society (really embraces the on-the-go West Coast professional lifestyle).

3. Tag line: Filling the Gap between the Bagel and the Donut (...gain unique marketing and lots of room to RUN!).

4. The dough is brilliant and made fresh everyday using old world standards.

5. The spectrum of filling is unlimited.

6. No deep-frying, not only does it taste good, but it is a healthy alternative to most fast foods.

7. Very fast, very fresh. The Kolachys are baked 4 -5 times a day.

8. ..and mostly because of Keith.

What will be happening at the Kolachy Shop in the short term;

1. Feature Kolachys will be 'chef inspired' and developed/made by me ~ starting with the Steak and Guinness feature starting Tuesday.

2. A feature breakfast Kolachy ~ starting with a Pancetta and Brie Omelette Kolachy (by the end of the week).

3. Will be open from 7am until 7pm Monday to Friday so all eGullet members can get their fix!

4. Will be open on Saturdays and Sundays from 9am until 5pm ~ again to allow eGulleters who work regular hours to enjoy the culture.

5. Free WiFi so all eGullet members can post while eating Kolachys.

6. Keith's (real Texas) BBQ Sauce packaged and available for take home.

7. Everyday ~ Keith's (real Texas) Chilli will be available (rumour has it that it will be offered with a mini-cheddar-stuffed Kolachy).

8. New POS System ~ Halo, with a customer loyalty/Charge Card and a CRS linked to a website for free Kolachys, retail, etc (this will include an eGullet discount).

9. A whole new line of Kolachy Retail Ware! This will be bigger then Sean John, Polo or Riptide.

10. Five new locations

So, I will abstain from posting on the Kolachy Shop from now on. I appreciate all the input eGullet has given.

Anyone interested in seeing the shop can visit me on Tuesday, after 3pm. I will be onsite working on new recipes. The shop closes at 7pm and I am free for a beer (at Dix, across the street ~ my other favourite place!) with anyone who is interested.

One last SERIOUS SHILL...Feature Premium Kolachy of the week ~ Steak and Guinness at $3.75 each. Now proudly serving Boylan's Hand Crafted (pure sugar cane) Soda Pop.

Post Script: for those who are not in the know...A Kolachy is an Eastern European Sweet bread stuffed with sweet fillings. The new Kolachy came to North America through Texas. The rebirth added a whole new level of savour fillings more inline with the Western Culture.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Wow!

Ever more incestuous! :laugh:

Congratulations to all :smile:

And Keith somehow I haven't put in this thread how much I have been loving the tuna melt...I think I'm growing gills!

Okay, I promised not to shill...one last thing: Keith has never, ever added a feature to the daily menu: Tuna Melt and Butter Chicken may be the first two!

Chef/Owner/Teacher

LOL!!!

Private Message I just recieved from Neil Wyles (society donor. Posts: 827 Member No.: 9,521 Joined: 4-July 03), Chef and Owner of the Hamilton Street Grill (The Hammy)...

" I love it so much I bought the company " : Victor Kiam, Remington Electric Shavers , circa 1979

:rolleyes:

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Wow!

Ever more incestuous! :laugh:

Congratulations to all :smile:

And Keith somehow I haven't put in this thread how much I have been loving the tuna melt...I think I'm growing gills!

Okay, I promised not to shill...one last thing: Keith has never, ever added a feature to the daily menu: Tuna Melt and Butter Chicken may be the first two!

:laugh:

:wub:

...and what of the mushroom pesto? I thought it began as a feature...I could be wrong though.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

LOL!!!

Private Message I just recieved from Neil Wyles (society donor. Posts: 827 Member No.: 9,521 Joined: 4-July 03), Chef and Owner of the Hamilton Street Grill (The Hammy)...

" I love it so much I bought the company " : Victor Kiam, Remington Electric Shavers , circa 1979 

:rolleyes:

Congratulations Chef Fowke. Having a day job, I still haven't had my kolachy indoctrination but I'll make a point to stop in for a visit soon now that the opening hours have expanded.

Edited by barolo (log)

Cheers,

Anne