• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kolachy Takes Vancouver!

Chef Fowke

Methinks I am the sole remaining eG-Vancouverite not knowing this delectable addiction.

Tempters! I could order one of everything + soup, eat a couple there, bus back, bolt the doors and depose of my horde in greedy solitude. :biggrin: I have Monday off. But I don't know when I might get my next kolachy and apparently there is never "just one". :unsure:

Run the earth. Watch the sky.

It's a fact!

Kolachies are a great disaster food...When I (actually as of the writing of this post I still am) was evacuated from my house Kolachy Keith showed up with a big bag of Kolachies to help tie me over!

Finally I got to eat a pot roast Kolachy. Now my favourite.

I just cannot believe that I had to have 15000 tons of mud and hillside slide down into my backyard to finally get one! The Kolachy is become a rare item...try getting one after 3pm, they are usually sold out!

Anyone going for Kolachies this week should PM me, I have some spare time; unemployed and of 'no fixed address'! :rolleyes:  :laugh:

Chef,

So glad to hear your sense of humour is still as pronounced as ever.

A.

Methinks I am the sole remaining eG-Vancouverite not knowing this delectable addiction.

Tempters! I could order one of everything + soup, eat a couple there, bus back, bolt the doors and depose of my horde in greedy solitude.  :biggrin: I have Monday off. But I don't know when I might get my next kolachy and apparently there is never "just one". :unsure:

Nah, you're not the only one.... I too have yet to delve into the world of kolachy. I don't venture into Yaletown very often but am thinking that one day soon I'm going to have to make the trip over on a lunch break or day off just to see what everyone's going on about. The one with goat cheese is extremely alluring...... mmmmm

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Tempters! I could order one of everything + soup, eat a couple there, bus back, bolt the doors and depose of my horde in greedy solitude.  :biggrin: I have Monday off. But I don't know when I might get my next kolachy and apparently there is never "just one". :unsure:

Nah, you're not the only one.... I too have yet to delve into the world of kolachy. I don't venture into Yaletown very often but am thinking that one day soon I'm going to have to make the trip over on a lunch break or day off just to see what everyone's going on about. The one with goat cheese is extremely alluring...... mmmmm

I'm still uninitiated. I suggest Appreciator, Hayasaka.k and I have a Kolachy party ... we could try more at once that way - Fridays I can often go out for lunch :biggrin:

So it seems...I missed it! but the muffaletta is nice! it's different from the ones I've had before, salami, ham, olive relish, sun dried tomatoes, other stuff I can't remember but maybe Arne will...:unsure:

I just had a poppyseed one for dessert, and confirm my thought that I'm not all that crazy about poppyseeds...ah well, perhaps next time, the apple and cheddar will be up. (Wonder if they store their cheddar in the crisper...:raz:)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

So it seems...I missed it! but the muffaletta is nice! it's different from the ones I've had before, salami, ham, olive relish, sun dried tomatoes, other stuff I can't remember but maybe Arne will...:unsure:

'Twas cheese, Genoa salami, chicken, olive relish, sundried tomatoes. Yummy! Thought it was prosciutto and not salami, but it was the saltiness of the olives that fooled me.

Split Pea Soup was really good too.

A.

Sorry, Sushicat. I've been Kolachied. :raz:

I like getting tastings too... But I had three (mushroom pesto<--fave, reuben, cherry) and "cohn chowda" soup (couldn't taste saffron) and nibbles of 2 others (pizza, greek). Bwahahahaha! (They threw in the cherry as it unwrapped a bit during baking.) Mine weren't heated up enough though.

Indeed, the pot roast is no more. :sad:

It's funny how many people walk in and stare at the boards for so long, finally make their decision only to be told there's only what's left on the racks. I have a "no frozen convenience foods" rule at home, but there's room in the freezer for these babies. I think someone said they don't freeze well?

Run the earth. Watch the sky.

Sorry, Sushicat. I've been Kolachied. :raz:

Dang! I almost went there today ... but one of my regular meetings which promissed to end early went late and work intervened with eating! Glad to hear of your enjoyment and comments, I'm next - hopefully tomorrow (in case anyone wants to join me).

Sushi-cat - looking forward to barbecue and/or reuben kolachy!

Highly recommending the Black Bean Soup.

Delish!

Yum indeed.... I, for one, love a good black bean soup. Am aiming to have my first Kolachy experience this Friday :biggrin: and will just have to try one of their soups as well. Do you know if they change daily or are several available all the time?

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Core kolachys are available all the time; the soups change day to day. Special kolachys change about once a week.

I believe the changeover day is Wednesday (i.e. the new Kolachy o' the week starts on Wednesday).

Highly recommending the Black Bean Soup.

Deborah ... good call on the soup! Had it yesterday ... excellent hit of cellantro and nice sweet bits of corn. I don't need to mention it had black beans do I?? :smile:

A.

Feature Kolachy: Chili Dog!!!!

Today they have their baked potato soup, too. Guess what I'm having for lunch?

:wub:

Edited because I'm losing my mind and it's the New England Clam, not the Baked Potato....it's creamy, it's white....whaddayagonnado?

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Feature Kolachy: Chili Dog!!!!

You had to know this was going to happen one day. I've found a kolachy I don't really like. :shock::shock::shock: Difficult to believe, I know. But the Chili Dog just didn't happen for this kolachy-a-holic. There was nothing wrong with it per se ... the ingredients were fine, the dough was awesome as always. I just think a Chili Dog belongs in a bun, and should be eaten at 2am after several cleansing ales, or at 4pm after a day of skiing at Mt. Baker. I'm sticking to the Ruben.

However...

The Spicey Roasted Squash soup today was excellent. Very creamy with a nice spicey kick. A perfect accompaniment to the ruben and a sunny afternoon on the Yaletown Sea Wall while calling clients.

Sucks to be me today :cool:

A.

Wow, I am in the middle of my Turkey Soup, and am I glad I got a large!! It has nice wild rice and carrots and diced sweet potatoes!

Really warming me up on this chilly day.

:smile:

Must have just missed you! Agree ... soup is good for today. Shepherd's Pie Kolachy as well .... mashed taters! MMMMM.

A.

Ooohhhh, OK so the Santa Fe Chicken is pretty darn good, and on any other day I'd doubtless be waxing poetic about it, but hot damn that Cream of Turkey Dinner soup is just tha bomb! Insane! stuffing, sweet potatoes...so so delicious.

I could get really really fat on that, no doubt. :hmmm:

Agenda-free since 1966.

• 4 weeks later...

Damn you all....

tried my first Kolachy (I know...so behind the time) (bbq beef) and soup (amazing curried squash).

SO GOOD I bought an assortment to bring home tonight...don't know how well they warm up, but I am sure that if they are even HALF as good, we will have a new addiction in my house.

sigh.....

getting fatter each day I check out e-gullet.... :blink::laugh: