• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kolachy Takes Vancouver!

Chef Fowke

Thought today would be a good day to get my first kolachy, so I checked a map and felt pretty confident I could get there without getting lost. It's only a few minutes away by car. Unfortunately, I missed Beatty Street not once, but twice. (I went over the Cambie bridge.) Still undeterred, I weaved my way through traffic once more, and parked on Nelson, (genius!) intending to walk to the rest of the way to the Kolachy Shop. When I finally get there, the place was dark and a sign said that it was closed today and will re-open tomorrow. I just wasted 45 minutes of my life. :huh:

Thought today would be a good day to get my first kolachy, so I checked a map and felt pretty confident I could get there without getting lost. It's only a few minutes away by car. Unfortunately, I missed Beatty Street not once, but twice. (I went over the Cambie bridge.) Still undeterred, I weaved my way through traffic once more, and parked on Nelson, (genius!) intending to walk to the rest of the way to the Kolachy Shop. When I finally get there, the place was dark and a sign said that it was closed today and will re-open tomorrow. I just wasted 45 minutes of my life.  :huh:

Aaahhh...yes, Grasshopper...

Often the journey to nirvana is filled with mountains of donuts and hills of bagels! Persist, persist and persist!

The journey is worth the walk....

P.S. Give me a time and I will be waiting at the door and will introduce you to the owner as another eGulleter ‘Kolachy Stalker’!!!!!

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Hmm, I saw someone Ling-ish there, except her hair was dark...was that you in the corner? I was the blonde with glasses and a black puffy down vest. I always get mine to go so I can feed my internet addiction over lunch  :blush:

Great! Now we're getting eGullet lurkers in real life! :hmmm:

Introduce yourself to Keith ... he knows a lot of us now and will be able to point other eGulleters out to you.

A.

Hmm, I saw someone Ling-ish there, except her hair was dark...was that you in the corner? I was the blonde with glasses and a black puffy down vest. I always get mine to go so I can feed my internet addiction over lunch  :blush:

Yup, that was me! Forgot to mention that the pic is old; I've since dyed my hair (closer to my natural colour) and it's a bit longer now. Which kolachy did you get? I had the Reuben, the Chicken Marsala, and had bites of my bf's steak and cheese and bacon dog.

The Reuben was my favourite though! Yum! :biggrin:

Edited by Ling (log)

Yup, that was me! Forgot to mention that the pic is old; I've since dyed my hair (closer to my natural colour) and it's a bit longer now. Which kolachy did you get? I had the Reuben, the Chicken Marsala, and had bites of my bf's steak and cheese and bacon dog.

The Reuben was my favourite though! Yum!  :biggrin:

A bit longer?! :huh::smile:

Yaaaay... another Reuben convert!!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Oh :smile: I had the Greek and the minestrone (I really like the soups there). I may try the Marsala tomorrow if I head back.

Next time I will know it's you then, and say hi :smile:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Their is more to the Kolachy shop then savoury meat wrapped and baked in a mildly sweet dough!

I had the baked potato soup for lunch today! WOW....10/10!

Have you had the mushroom/potato potage? Or the borscht?

Then again, I had wonton soup with Neil today ... where were you? Supporting your friend? NO! Supporting your kolachy habbit! YES!

It makes me sad. :sad:

A.

editted for the Quayle-esque mispelling of potato(e) :laugh:

Edited by Daddy-A (log)

Then again, I had wonton soup with Neil today ... where were you?  Supporting your friend?  NO!  Supporting your kolachy habbit! YES!

It makes me sad. :sad:

I just checked my phone...it works and you didn't call! Wonton Soup; I would have dropped everything for a Wonton Soup.

Oh, the pain...two jealous lovers yet only one lunch meal a day! How do I chews :laugh:

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Oh :smile: I had the Greek and the minestrone (I really like the soups there). I may try the Marsala tomorrow if I head back.

Next time I will know it's you then, and say hi :smile:

I think I remember who you are! I liked the Marsala too, but I think it's a tiny bit undersalted, so I prefer the Reuben. Maybe we can have lunch together next week. (And Chef Fowke can come too. :wink: )

Their is more to the Kolachy shop then savoury meat wrapped and baked in a mildly sweet dough!

I had the baked potato soup for lunch today! WOW....10/10!

Dear God in heaven. Their beef stroganoff soup is unbelievably good.

Actually, I got it chopped at a salon right after eating my kolachies.  :shock:

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I think I remember who you are! I liked the Marsala too, but I think it's a tiny bit undersalted, so I prefer the Reuben. Maybe we can have lunch together next week. (And Chef Fowke can come too.  :wink: )

I'm there basically without fail on Tuesdays, and sometimes on Wednesdays (Mondays I'm lazy, Thursday is Chicken Curry at Beatty Street Bar & Grill, and Fridays a bunch of us from work usually go out together). So if you want to book for Tuesday coming, right around noon, I'll see you there!

:biggrin:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I think I remember who you are! I liked the Marsala too, but I think it's a tiny bit undersalted, so I prefer the Reuben. Maybe we can have lunch together next week. (And Chef Fowke can come too.  :wink: )

I'm there basically without fail on Tuesdays, and sometimes on Wednesdays (Mondays I'm lazy, Thursday is Chicken Curry at Beatty Street Bar & Grill, and Fridays a bunch of us from work usually go out together). So if you want to book for Tuesday coming, right around noon, I'll see you there!

I'm there today. Chef Fowke? Say noonish? Gotta trie the new soup!

Ling, if you're there, I'll have your pie plate with me.

Mmmmmm .... Reuben :biggrin:

A.

Oooh, oooh, oooh, me for kolachy today pleeze. It's damn cold outside and perfect for soup and waaaaarm kolachies. See you noonish!

Joie Alvaro Kent

Hey, perhaps one of you guys could drop one off for me ?

I know I barely know you and never see you so why would you think of me when you are filling your gobs with Kolachy but it would appear I will be the only one working and unable to make this meeting. And no, I do not want a cold Kolachy when you all come for dinner tonight !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Hey, perhaps one of you guys could drop one off for me ?

I know I barely know you and never see you so why would you think of me when you are filling your gobs with Kolachy but it would appear I will be the only one working and unable to make this meeting. And no, I do not want a cold Kolachy when you all come for dinner tonight !

Neil,

I just pm'ed you about this! Let me know what kind of kolachy you'd like and I'll drop by with some. Soup too?

Joie

Joie Alvaro Kent