• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kolachy Takes Vancouver!

Chef Fowke

I am craving some breakfast kolachys. Is the corn beef hash still available? I want to come down and grab some Ice Packs for my freezer.

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

• 4 weeks later...

Ten points for you, Keith. I'm officially hooked on the Sweet Potato Pecan dessert kolachy that I tried today!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 11 months later...

well fellow egulleters, I just wanted to take a moment to thank all of you for all your support over the last 4 1/2 years and to let you know that i am now semi retired. I fully believe that without the help i got from egullet and its members the shop would not be what it is today and for that i will always be grateful. Maddie, the girl who has worked for me for over 2 years will be managing the store so you will still get the same awesome service and the kitchen crew is still going to be the same so the food will still be the same as well. The new owners of the shop are great guys and i feel completely confident in their ability to take the kolachy shop to the next level. So once again thanks to everyone for their comments (positive and negative) and eat well.

Keith.

Not only did you fill a lunch gap for me, you gave my eldest son his first job, and you were a good friend. Folk like you are few and far between. Good luck to you in whatever you do ... and stay in touch!

A.

well fellow egulleters, I just wanted to take a moment to thank all of you for all your support over the last 4 1/2 years and to let you know that i am now semi retired.  I fully believe that without the help i got from egullet and its members the shop would not be what it is today and for that i will always be grateful. Maddie, the girl who has worked for me for over 2 years will be managing the store so you will still get the same awesome service and the kitchen crew is still going to be the same so the food will still be the same as well. The new owners of the shop are great guys and i feel completely confident in their ability to take the kolachy shop to the next level. So once again thanks to everyone for their comments (positive and negative) and eat well.

At the pace you worked, you were semi retired before...............this is fully retired.

Enjoy the time off and come back with the next food craze.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately, I hadn't known about this place before reading this thread last week, but fortunately, I read the thread, and made it to the Kolachy Shop on Saturday.

It was late in the day, but we had a Western breakfast kolachy, a spinach and feta, and a poppyseed.

They were all very good, and I just wish there was a place in Seattle to get these--I'd be there regularly!

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." -- Hippocrates

• 3 months later...

Stopped in at the Kolachy Shop today. It has undergone a renovation and there were some significant changes. I got there late and all they had left were the BBQ Beef....perfect as it was what I was going to order anyhow. No more kolachy's on a shelf and then microwaved. These came out of a steam drawer and even after a 5 minute drive home they were piping hot inside and the outside was soft. Tasted like it had come right out of the oven. Brilliant change. Looks like the new owner spent some money to improve the product and it tasted like it. It had been way to long since I got my kolachy fix and now I am craving another one.

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

• 1 month later...
Stopped in at the Kolachy Shop today. It has undergone a renovation and there were some significant changes. I got there late and all they had left were the BBQ Beef....perfect as it was what I was going to order anyhow. No more kolachy's on a shelf and then microwaved. These came out of a steam drawer and even after a 5 minute drive home they were piping hot inside and the outside was soft. Tasted like it had come right out of the oven. Brilliant change. Looks like the new owner spent some money to improve the product and it tasted like it. It had been way to long since I got my kolachy fix and now I am craving another one.

Like I said before, I have faith that the new owners are going to do the right thing. Im glad they sank a few bucks into the place. I can't see what is happening from vietnam so I hope I hear good things. I was doing a little snooping and I found a link to a design company doing some work for the Kolachy co and if you scroll down and take a look it's pretty good stuff.

http://artbackwash.blogspot.com/

Very cool graphics, new owner has some cash to make the changes and cash is king. I guess they opened up another Kolachy Co. at one of the Bentall Buildings. May have to take the walk up from Metro for one. Last week they had a "hot wings" kolachy with chicken, blue cheese and hot sauce...was awesome. Keith, enjoy Vietnam, when you back home?

Edited by TimK (log)

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

Yeah, the new Kolachy Shop is in the Bentall Mall near the post office. According to me lovely wife, they're open for breakfast before 8am ... but I know Tim is never up that early. Still awake perhaps ...

Agreed, the graphics looks really good.

A.

And apparently soon on Cambie around 12th. Isn't that your neck of the woods Arne?

Edited by TimK (log)

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca