• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kolachy Takes Vancouver!

Chef Fowke

Suggest you try to get ahold of one of these! they are just divine.

Suggest that, perhaps, a friend could pick one of these up for another friend... and a Turkey Dinner one too while that friend is at it. :rolleyes:

:laugh:

You know, I would have, but I got the last one on the tray!!! Maybe tomorrow there will be more available! :biggrin:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I would also suggest that said friend could pick up an extra for other friend that could be held by friend until friend gets home from work :raz:

It's been quite a long while since I've my kolachy fix and I have to agree that it is certainly not a warm weather food.

Popped over to the Kolachy Shop after hitting the Westend Market on Saturday. Had an English Brekkie Kolachy which filled my gap quite nicely, thanks very much. Got to meet Kolachy Keith and stocked up on a bunch of kolachy to tide us over the holiday weekend and into the next week. The pumpkin pie was luscious-really like that dollop of creamy goodness on top. Zucchini Papa and Bambino loved the Turkey Dinner ones-finally a food item the whole family likes!

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Just had my first Kolachy today!

The BBQ beef was quite nice and the split pea soup even nicer; now I am looking forward to trying more flavours.

Thank you Deborah for bumping this thread! Perfect timing as I was growing tired of the place where I usually get lunch and looking for new options :smile:

Edited by Little Frog (log)
Emmanuelle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was sneaking around in Keith's office today and I found the recipe for 'Anello's Frittata Omelette' ~ a traditional italian breakfast made with fresh roasted peppers, tomatoes, parmesan cheese and calabrese soprasata...(next week's breakfast freature)

What is a soprasata and where do you get it in Vancouver?

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Greetings, I stopped by the Kolachi store just before the Vancouver Eats show last spring. The fine young gentleman who served me told me about this site. I have been lurking ever since. I felt it was most appropriate to come out, so to speak, on this topic.

My buddies, who work for an unnamed employer close by to the lure of the Kolachi have turned me on to these delectable treats. Unfortunately I live in New Westminster and work in Surrey, so I don't get them very often.

Are you thinking of making sweet flavours (If you already do, just ignore me).

• 2 weeks later...

Both Noah and I can heartily vouch for this week's feature: Beef Stew.

And the Curried Smoked Salmon Chowder is extraordinarily good!

:wub:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I don't think that I have posted much on this thread due to my shyness (anyone who has been in the store knows how shy I am). that being said i just want to let everyone who has posted on this thread (positive and negative) that I really appreciate all the feed back that has been given to me. It has been a great tool in finding out what the kolachy shop has been doing right and hopefully a way to fix the things that we are doing wrong. So again, a long over-due thanks to all my fellow egulleters for your insight and your business.

I want them to make nutella kolachy.

Oh Lorna! You just have to make everything into dessert!

Then again toffee bacon is really good...maybe you're onto something

I must admit I have never had Kolachy but it certainly looks like it is something I need to try for fear of losing my eGullet decoder ring. I will have to make my way down there in the coming weeks.

[edit] I just realized I was quoting an OLD thread! Wow 2004! Oops! [/edit]

Edited by fud (log)

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I want them to make nutella kolachy.

Oh Lorna! You just have to make everything into dessert!

Then again toffee bacon is really good...maybe you're onto something

[edit] I just realized I was quoting an OLD thread! Wow 2004! Oops! [/edit]

Nutella still sounds good, one year later. :biggrin: Or chocolate caramel kolachy. Or chocolate, cherry and kirsh...like portable Black Forest cake.

The toffee bacon wasn't my idea--my idea was the bacon brioche pudding with bourbon caramel sauce. :wub:

Nutella still sounds good, one year later.  :biggrin:

Keith's already made a Nutella kolachy. However, with the price of Nutella being what it is, it wasn't exactly cost-effective and didn't make it as a regular offering.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Nutella still sounds good, one year later.  :biggrin:

Keith's already made a Nutella kolachy. However, with the price of Nutella being what it is, it wasn't exactly cost-effective and didn't make it as a regular offering.

Bring in the Nutella (or any other flavour) and I will personally roll a few Kolachys for you. Keith (PM) and I (AM) will both be in the store on Dec 26th, 27th and new years day.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested, there will be a short snipet on CTV Monday Jan. 9th on the 5:00 pm broadcast about the kolachy shop. Neil(aka nwyles) of Hamilton Street Grill fame was asked where he enjoys eating and the camera crew followed him to the kolachy shop (thanks Neil). I don't know how it will come across as i wasn't as prepared as i would have liked but it should prove entertaining.