• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Indian Food Movies

Fat Guy

One of the all time classics of telugu cinema ( theres a tamil version too), the BW movie "Maya Bazar" , a mythological based on an entertaining episode from Mahabharata has a whole song  about 7 minutes long  called " vivaha bhojanam" (the marriage feast) .

It has the half demon Ghatochkacha ( for those familiar with mythology ) literally singing out the menu of a traditional , royal wedding , mentioning all the delicacies  in detail , and the visuals accompanying the song are equally great , its the royal kitchen of the kauravas and spread around  are lavish amounts of all the dishes mentioned in the song

this sounds interesting Spiceroute!is there a 'Bhima' angle to the film too,as the cook?

i've heard about telugu 'westerns'(from the 70's i think)that are based on hollwood fare-hero walks into a saloon,orders a glass of milk,bad guys laugh,fight ensues -do any names come to mind?a friend used to keep us in splits with his versions of these and i'm really keen to see one.reminds me of 'strawberry kannaanadhu' prabhu deva! :laugh:

i've heard about telugu 'westerns'(from the 70's i think)that are based on hollwood fare-hero walks into a saloon,orders a glass of milk,bad guys laugh,fight ensues -do any names come to mind?a friend used to keep us in splits with his versions of these and i'm really keen to see one.reminds me of 'strawberry kannaanadhu' prabhu deva! :laugh:

There was a hilarious take as a promo for a tv channel "Quick gun Murugan" where the moustachioed guy (green shirt and yellow trousers!) walks into a western style bar and orders a Masala dosa. Does anyone remember it. :laugh:

Mind it!

Wat to do, we are like this only. :smile:

Edited by Episure (log)

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

yup-surely inspired by those very films-channel v and mtv india. their 'fillers' were the best thing on tv!

now someone needs to confirm if these are the ones i'm looking for-

Mosagallaku Mosagadu followed a decade later by Kodhama Simham

``Modhalla sambhar...aparama nee,'' the legendary Quick Gun Murugan

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

yes mind it

gingerly ,

That reminds me , though there is no mention of Bhimas cooking skills in Maya Bazar , there is another movie called Nartansala , based on another episode in Mahabharata called the Virata Parvam wherein the pandavas during their exile period are to spend one year in disguise , and they decide to take up various jobs in the King Viratas kingdom and Bhima, joins the royal kitchen as Valala the cook. In fact his entire battle with Keechaka is picturised in the kitchen.

one thought leads to another , theres is a phrase in telugu where you call a elaborately prepared dish Nala -Bhima pakam , beacause Nala was also a legendary cook in mythology.

one of Madhavans latest movie is Nala Damayanthi where he is a Palaghat brahmin cook and Kamal hasan played a similar role in Micheal Madana Kamarajan, did you catch any one those

the Quick Gun Murugan fillers were great , :smile: ooru beer aprama masala dosa

yes gingerly those telugu westerns are a big hit on the video circuit , and fun to watch :smile: Mosagallaku mosagadu is the classic one with Krishna , Kodama simham is a later one with Chiranjeevi and theres Takkaridonga which just came a couple of years ago with Mahesh.

excellent!now i'll have to seriously set about tracking down those films!preferably with subtitles since i don't have access to my regular translators!i haven't seen any of the ones you mention Spiceroute-my movie watching tends to be a bit like my cooking-all over the map!and in a feast or famine cycle too come to think of it! :laugh: thanks!

• 7 years later...

There have been a couple of Movies where the waiter is asked for the menu and he rattles off typical Irani/Moghlai restaurant style:

omelettebhurjihalffrybaidafrybaidamasalabaidaghotalachickenfrychickenmoghlaichickenmasalakeemfrychickenbiryanikeemamasalamuttonmasalamuttonfrymuttonbiryanibhejamasalabhejafrypaobunmaskachaisabmilega

I'm looking for the exact sequence in a hindi movie where a waiter rattles off a string of menu items with a smile on his face. I can see a quote here, but does anyone remember the scene and the movie? I know there were more than one.

Thanks

Bhukhhad

This question of food and Bollywood films - no, wait, time out: all Mongo's points about the term Bollywood are excellent and true, but I'm still using it because:

(a) its convenient

(b) the terms for the other Indian cinema industries like Tollywood (Bengali, from Tollygunge), Mollywood (Tamil, from Madras) are tedious beyong belief,

© the term Bollywood now has a certain sense independent of the actual Bollywood film industry referring to films involving certain typical elements like music, dance, escapist story lines and, of course, the desi community in some sense or Mongo will pounce on me and ask why Chicago doesn't count as a Bollywood film. So under this expanded sense you can include everything from Lagaan to Sholay to Monsoon Wedding to Mandi to Mother India to Munnabhai MBBS (my new fave film!) to Maqbool. It would include that piece of fluff called The Guru and even Bend It Like Beckham and Bhaji On The Beach, though I accept that by then its straining at the seams. The only thing it would definitely not include would be the Indian art film tradition of people like Satyajit Ray, Ritwik Ghatak and Adoor Gopalakrishnan, but since this is effectively dead anyway, we can ignore it.

OK, back to food and Bollywood. I've written about this somewhere, but frustratingly can't find the piece, but if I remember what I said it was something on the lines that one of the biggest differences between the Indian and Chinese popular film traditions was in their approach to food. Chinese films celebrate food and its cooking in every way - eating it, serving it, cooking it. There's even a Jackie Chan film called The Chef and you can just see those cleavers being used in fight sequences. So when Ang Lee made Eat Drink Man Woman (Monica, rent it IMMEDIATELY), he was drawing on a well established tradition.

Indian films however rarely show food, and I think this reveals some telling cultural differences. (I don't agree with Mongo's suggestion that this is out of concern for starving viewers. If they're starving they're not going to be able to afford a ticket and anyway, with the films going over the top in showing aspirational fantasies in every other way, why would they stop at the food).

I'd suggest that one reason for this absence of food and cooking is social hierarchies where cooks come pretty low down (how this meshes with the maharaj concept where the chefs are Brahmins is a fascinating question, but for another thread). Its something servants do or women (who are servants anyway in most Indian families). It is not aspirational at all, even today - why do you think the middle class parents in Monsoon Wedding aren't amused by their son wanting to be a chef?

So you're just not going to show the main characters cooking. Remember the way those mafiosi in the Godfather films were always making meatballs and pasta? And can you imagine any of the gangsters in Indian films doing anything like that. Bawarchi is the exception that proves the rule, as is a more recent film that I did post about - Rules: Pyar Ka Superhit Formula where the very hunky hero wants to become a chef:

http://forums.egulle...=0

I think there's also another reason, and its to do with a schizoid attitude towards bodily pleasures that runs quite deep in Indian culture. It could be sex or it could be food, but both are treated in a very squeamish way upfront, even while both are being indulged in like crazy in private. As has been observed ad nauseum, this is the country of the Kama Sutra (and some pretty steamy Bollywood films), but which becomes are moralistic and prurient - at the snap of a bra you'll have people mouthing off about outrages to the honour of Indian womanhood.

So too with food. Indians love to eat, but they don't quite like being reminded of this fact. There's some uneasy feeling that all those fasts and self denying ascetic meals that 'holy' people are meant to follow are the real ideal. I've seen Jain ceremonies where people who have fasted for two weeks or more are almost literally worshipped and then everyone goes for a mega feast. There's the Ramzaan cycle of daytime fasting, nightime gluttony (though that's not just Indian). In the Hindu mythological comics we read as kids there are all those pictures of sages denying themselves bodily pleasures and acquiring huge powers, while its the gross demons like Kumbhakarna who eat like crazy.

And you can see this comes up in films as well. As Monica has noted villains are among the few people often shown eating in Indian films. And what do they eat? Meat. Huge horrible chunks of it, thereby confirming their base, tamasic nature. (Along with it they drink, and if there's anything Indians are even more schizoid about than food and sex, its alcohol). In a more tolerant vein the other group that eats a lot are the clowns and buffoons - remember Tun Tun, the comic actress whose characteristic was being very fat and eating a lot.

There's one other group that is associated with food and that's also characteristic. Mothers are often shown with food, but not cooking or eating it, but giving it, because that's what mothers are meant to do in India, endlessly give of themselves. So that spoon of curds given before a journey that Monica noted is given by the mother, and its the mother too who's often shown trying to feed her sons, stuff them up - 'le beta, le, thoda aur khana, maa ke hath se khana'. ('eat my darling, eat some more, eat from your mother's hand')!

So that's how food comes into Indian films. But showing it being cooked, served and eaten without guilt. Ewwww... that's not how its done in Bollywood.

Vikram

PS: As one might expect, Bollywood film sets are known for the fabulous food on offer. There are specific film caterers who are reknowned for being able to knock and serve the most amazing - and heavy - food imaginable on the sets. Its one of the few perks the crew enjoys, so its never stinted, even if the stars themselves in these figure conscious days are more careful about what they eat.

Oh, and for a last film and food link, don't forget the ritual of breaking a coconut that absolutely has to accompany the first take of any film. That first take in fact is always a formality, done for the coconut which is broken as the director shouts "Action!" and then "Cut" almost at once. The coconut is distributed as prasad while the filming gets going.

Vikram, this is an interesting writeup, and since I am new here, I haven't read your previous pieces. Will remedy that sometime. However, I think beyond the fact that Indian cinema might follow the covert rules of society and not display the eroticism behind creating food, or savoring food, the same is not quite true for showing eroticism in the cinema. Plenty of voyeuristic pleasures shown there: Ganv ki gori with the short cholis and the pani ka matka all the way to unimaginable gyrations in the dance routines... But I'm no expert there.

The point I wanted to make is that though bollywood makes a smattering of food related film scenes here and there, perhaps that is changing.

1. I remember a movie I saw back in India starring Shahrukh Khan in a double role called Judwa? Some thing about him being a chef and cooking a japanese feast, only to have his mom put a punjabi tadka into everything?

2. Then there was a more recent film called Cheeni Kum which showed the hyderabadi biryani with saffron.

3. Someone mentioned the aloo gobhi in Bend it like Beckham

4. There was a recent film with Madhur Jaffrey and Asif Mandvi that I am trying to locate. It is about a chef and has won some awards. Can anyone find a name?

excellent!now i'll have to seriously set about tracking down those films!preferably with subtitles since i don't have access to my regular translators!i haven't seen any of the ones you mention Spiceroute-my movie watching tends to be a bit like my cooking-all over the map!and in a feast or famine cycle too come to think of it! laugh.gif thanks!

Gingerly, did you find these films? with subtitles?

another good food movie (non indian) "babette's feast".

really excellent.

indian food play (not movie):

mannu bhandari's "mahabhoj" (the great feast)

it's a really powerful play with

excellent language (and great acting

when i saw it at NSD) ; the food metaphor is

almost literally done to death in it though:

e.g.s:

corrupt politician stroking his well filled belly while in

a police cell a low caste political dissenter is beaten

to death by belly blows.

beginning of play has politicians feasting while

harijan settlement is burnt down and many of the

inhabitants "roasted into kababs"

that kind of thing.

milagai

Milagai, do you have any resources for finding this play? Do send them here if you can. I'd love to read or if I get a chance, to watch it.

• 4 years later...