• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

After Dinner Dessert Places in Manhattan

Scoats

Hello all,

I am planning a romanitc few nights in NYC.

Grand Sichuan International in on my list as is the Chelsea Hotel, Empire State Building, etc.

I'm hoping for some ideas for a great place for dessert and maybe a romantic bar or two.

Thanks.

I don't think of Grand Sichuan as particularly romantic -- although I suppose it depends on how you feed each other. :laugh:

Sounds as though you've never been to NYC, or at least not together. So kill two birds with one stone and stop by Grand Central Terminal (you'll have to hold each other so as not to fall over while looking up at that fabulous ceiling :wink: ) and then go for a drink at The Campbell Apartments. Just bring lots of money for the drinks. :rolleyes:

Take her to Chikalicious. You can't go wrong (dessert only).

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

I like the Temple Bar on Lafayette just north of Houston (look for the lizard logo on the door on the west side of the street), but the drinks are expensive (~$13 per cocktail).

Chikalicious is a good idea.

Michael aka "Pan"

Take her to Chikalicious.  You can't go wrong (dessert only).

Indeed, chikalicious is a great after dinner place with lovely desserts. Make sure you leave some room for their 3 course dessert menu. You will not regret it.

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

I'm not sure what the atmosphere is like but Etats Unis, a small restaurant on the upper east side, has an outrageously good chocolate souffle for two. They also operate a wine bar directly across the street from the restaurant and serve the same souffle there. I vaguely recall the atmosphere at Cafe Mozart on the upper west side but my visit was so many years ago (i.e. almost 30 years back!) thatit may have changed dramatically.

La Lanterna in the Village, on MacDougal about two blocks north of Bleeker Street, has a really romantic atmosphere and I think they even have a fireplace going in the winter. I was unimpressed by the dessert quality and selection and the cappuccino was terrible. If you're going simple for somethign like cannoli's they might be okay. That was three or four years ago but I think it's still run by the same owners so it may not have improved.

I'm not sure what the atmosphere is like but Etats Unis, a small restaurant on the upper east side, has an outrageously good chocolate souffle for two.  They also operate a wine bar directly across the street from the restaurant and serve the same souffle there.  I vaguely recall the atmosphere at Cafe Mozart on the upper west side but my visit was so many years ago (i.e. almost 30 years back!) thatit may have changed dramatically.

La Lanterna in the Village, on MacDougal about two blocks north of Bleeker Street, has a really romantic atmosphere and I think they even have a fireplace going in the winter. I was unimpressed by the dessert quality and selection and the cappuccino was terrible. If you're going simple for somethign like cannoli's they might be okay. That was three or four years ago but I think it's still run by the same owners so it may not have improved.

Chocolate souffle for two, man that sounds like the ticket. I sort of recall seeing movies where you have to order souffles ahead of time. Is this anything to consider? Thanks.

The Gelatos at OTTO, in the Village.

WD50 has some impressive desserts and is also a great atmosphere for two people.

Micheal Liaskonis's desserts at Le Bernardin, while I have not had them, have been getting raves. But I am not sure if they will seat you just for dessert.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Otto for a romantic evening? I don't think so. Only if you get the gelato to go and head for the hotel room.

And while Chikalicious is a really good place, sitting at a counter with a horde of people standing around you waiting for a seat is also not romantic.

I was thinking more like Cafe des Artistes.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

Chocolate soufflé for two, man that sounds like the ticket. I sort of recall seeing movies where you have to order soufflés ahead of time. Is this anything to consider? Thanks.

Yes you do have to order it and then wait. Typically one orders the soufflé when the meal is ordered so it will be ready when dessert time arrives. Order it at the bar and you can warm up with a good wine or aperitif while you wait. It is intended to be shared, eaten with two spoons, from one vessel. Sensuous to share and very tasty. I'm no soufflé expert (in keeping with my tendency to know just a little bit about many, many things :laugh: ) but it was outrageously good and markedly better than the chocolate soufflé I had at Danube ( a dessert Danube is supposedly known for).

Otto for a romantic evening? I don't think so. Only if you get the gelato to go and head for the hotel room.

The Olive oil gelato is that good :wub:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

And while Chikalicious is a really good place, sitting at a counter with a horde of people standing around you waiting for a seat is also not romantic.

I was thinking more like Cafe des Artistes.

If my wife is any indication, womenfolk think Chikalicious is the cutest, neatest place they've ever been.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

• 6 months later...