• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confessions; where did you last eat?

Just saw this thread on the California board and have stolen it! They do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

This time of year is a strange one to do this because I'm sure we're all eating well (obviously Gary eats in the style of Michelin inspector all year but I think he might be the exception...)

So, the last three places I have eaten are:

1. Nando's on Upper Street

2. Abeno (Japanese omakase place on Museum Street)

3. Chez Bruce

What about you?

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

monday evening- viceroy of india -york, used to be ok, was poor but so 'tired' i couldn't actually read much of the menu :wacko:

monday lunchtime - blue bicycle -york chef needs to understand the difference between rare and medium well, as he cooked them all the same.

friday evening- st vincent arms- my local.

there you see that's not too bad! note the 2 day gap between restaurants (which might be due to ......

tuesday - anthony's

wednesday- armstrong's barnsley

thursday- number 3

friday lunch - la grillade

hence why i am sitting at my desk holding the fort whilst my colleagues are all in 44 the calls!

oh and i'm trying to lose 1/2 a stone for the new year :laugh::laugh:

cheers

gary

you don't win friends with salad

What a great idea for a thread. Thank you California.

I take it this is any eating out apart from take-away. Mine are (most recent first):

1. The Good Companions pub, Warlingham, Surrey. Traditional christmas dinner "with all the trimmings" three courses £8.95. Grim.

2. Song Que, Kingsland Rd, London. Vietnamese. Good starters poor mains.

3. Festival Square - Digby Trouts new cafe behind the Royal Festival Hall. Not bad at all. Good pre-concert choice.

W.

nice thread - gives me more restaurant ideas as well as making me feel slightly less of a greedy gannet!

OK - assume that I should ignore the three visits to the local pub at lunchtime since Friday, and in reverse order they are:

1. The Diner at Salts Mill in Saltaire - still one of my favourite places in the whole world!

2. Sukothai - fabulous Thai restaurant in Chapel Allerton in Leeds - link is here

3. Hotel du Vin, Harrogate ..

Oh it's a hard life!! :rolleyes:

Yin

X

Yesterday lunch - Cellar Gascon, lots of lovely sausage and foie gras - I've come to the conclusion I prefer the wine-bar to the restaurant next door

Monday lunch - De Santis, pasta and panini place on Old Street, respectable lasagne

Friday lunch - Lanes, Middlesex Street in the City for work Christmas lunch, seemed pretty good at the time but was ill that evening which always makes you wonder...

3. Chez Bruce

Surely some mishtake, Shuzi - I can't find your review ANYWHERE! :laugh:

Speaking of which... i must go over to the New York board to read that Ducasse thing of yours....

1. Moro - London (an absolutely spanking piece of milk fed lamb)

2. Ollie's - New York - better than standard NY Chinese

3. Santa Plaza Cafe - Santa Fe - superb breakfast burrito with green chile.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

1: September Brasserie - Blackpool. terrible name, strange location, great food, well worth a visit should you ever be in Blackpool

2: The Gate - Brassington. village pub in Derbyshire, good food and beer, welcoming atmosphere, not quite near enough to be my local

3: Fischers - Baslow. needs no introduction.......

3. Chez Bruce

Surely some mishtake, Shuzi - I can't find your review ANYWHERE! :laugh:

Speaking of which... i must go over to the New York board to read that Ducasse thing of yours....

Easy Tiger. I only went to Chez Bruce on Sunday and I'm having a week from hell (check the date...)

Still haven't written the Ducasse thing. Too busy eating chicken from Nandos ;-p

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

"Lads" night out at Racine

Chapter Two - whilst in Blackheath visting my brother and sister-in-law (BTW: there is a decent farmers market in the station car park on a Sunday)

Mohsen (Warwick Road) - after a family outing to Good Food Show at Earls Court.

What a great idea for a thread.  Thank you California.

Consider it recompense for California Pizza Kitchen, Cheesecake Factory and last but not least....McDonalds.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

1) Anthonys

2) Tom Aikens

3) Winteringham Fields

i'd be interested to know what you thought of anthony's vs tom aikens, maybe stick it on the anthony's thread if you have a mo?

i assume there are no complaints with the cooking at winteringham :wink:

cheers

gary

Good time to ask:

1) Locanda Locatelli

2) Fung Shing

3) Fino

Oh and...er...the usual office Chrismas lunch nightmare, where everyone democratically votes to go somewhere with Fayre on the menu and where the wine names the grape on the label. Rancid and like a car crash waiting to happen from the moment a month ago when the vote was decided...

G.

1) Anthonys

2) Tom Aikens

3) Winteringham Fields

Blimey - you win.

Where's his stick for not writing reports about this places Mr Moby?

Patrick- as always Moby got there first, but your list has made me green with envy :-)

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

10th, the restaurant in the Royal Garden Hotel, Ken High St. Food OK, views outstanding.

Le Suquet, Draycott Ave.

The Belvedere, in Holland Park

Axis, 1 Aldwych

Joy King Lau, off Leicester Square; dimsam with the children on the way to the cinema

Zuma, a Japanese in Knightsbridge

+++

Good company at all of these; food nothing to write home about.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."