• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dom '96

lala

I've been reading about the vintage '96's in Champagne, and understand that it was, as they say, a very good year. A local store has the Dom '96 for $99 (off of $150, but it's a generally overpriced store to start with). I bought one bottle, but I'm wondering if this is a good price, and if I should get a few more?I love champagne, but can't usually afford the good stuff, but recently got an end of year bonus, and am willing to make the investment in this case. Any thoughts?

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

If you want to spend the money, anything under $100 US is a good price on 96 DP. I've only had the wine once...and it has years to go before it's really ready...but it's also a pleasure to drink now.

If you've got good storage and a little patience, I would definitely bite. However, if you don't have both storage and patience, I'm not sure drinking it young will give you the experience you are paying for.

Then again, some people don't like mature Champagne.

In any case -- a good price.

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

I've been reading about the vintage '96's in Champagne, and understand that it was, as they say, a very good year. A local store has the Dom '96 for $99 (off of $150, but it's a generally overpriced store to start with). I bought one bottle, but I'm wondering if this is a good price, and if I should get a few more?I love champagne, but can't usually afford the good stuff, but recently got an end of year bonus, and am willing to make the investment in this case. Any thoughts?

I'd say 70-80% of the champagne I drink is in a restaurant. It's bargain from a markup standpoint and usually drank on special occasions. For a more everyday drinker - check some of the CA or OR sparklers such as Schramsberg or Argyle. Maybe some Cava or Spumante as well. If you need a case of french champagne - try a Veuve Cliquot, about 25% the price.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll get a couple more and lay them down. I generally have to stay in the under $50 range for my champers, so I'm happy to have found this vintage at this price!

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

Hey Wendy! This is at Met Mart, up on Queen Anne Hill. It had the same shelf lable that they do when the sale is company wide, so if you can't get up the Hill, try their other locations.

Hey Wendy! This is at Met Mart, up on Queen Anne Hill. It had the same shelf lable that they do when the sale is company wide, so if you can't get up the Hill, try their other locations.

I grocery shop there all the time so will check it out next week! Thanks!

If you like DP, fine, drink it in good health.

Let me just throw out this caveat, at one point until early 1980s, Dom P was a true luxury cuvee, made in limited quantities. Thanks to the Bond films and clever merchandising, Dom P is now produced at a level of about, sitting down?, 100,000 CASES a year or more.

For perspective, Krug's entire production is 5000 cases. Perrier Jouet's entire line is 50,000 cases.

Lastly, I particpated in a blind taste test of luxury cuvees, twelve people, experts in the wine trade, and ten wines.

All 12 of us agreed that one wine was the worst, not bad mind, but totally boring, thin and not worthy of prices of a luxury cuvee. Dom Perignon.

I think there are far better values than DP, but thats just my 2c.

Cheers,

Rob

"When I lived in Paris, and champagne was relatively cheap, I always enjoyed a half-bottle in the middle of the morning and another half-bottle at six or so in the evening. It did me a tremendous amount of good." - Gerald Hamilton.

With the quality decreasing and the pricing going up on luxury cuvee's, I now purchase a good Brut at a reasonable price or a domestic. Right now in the Chicago area, Pol Roger can be had for $20/bottle. I picked up two cases for the price of four bottles of DP.-Dick

Lastly, I particpated in a blind taste test of luxury cuvees, twelve people, experts in the wine trade, and ten wines.

All 12 of us agreed that one wine was the worst, not bad mind, but totally boring, thin and not worthy of prices of a luxury cuvee. Dom Perignon.

What year were these? The '96 is a bit young right now; I'm not planning on drinking it for a while.

Thanks to the folks who also encouraged me to get well priced other brands. This is what I normally do, and I will definately be stocking up this week, as I always do when everything in the moderate range goes on sale for New Years.

Edited by lala (log)

The Dom was the 1990. The other players were VC Grande Dame (either loved or hated), Cristal, J. Schram (the WINNER to much surprise by all and chagrin to several snobs), and Cuvee Louise.

"When I lived in Paris, and champagne was relatively cheap, I always enjoyed a half-bottle in the middle of the morning and another half-bottle at six or so in the evening. It did me a tremendous amount of good." - Gerald Hamilton.

Just purchased a bottle of, "96" Dom at Sam's Club for $88.87 plus [6] Roderers Anderson Valley Brut at $16.87 per bottle for a NY Eve Toast.

Wasn't considering the Dom but price was reasonable and have special occasion coming soon.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Speaking of vintage champers... the '96 Drappier was/is a KILLER buy, (we found it at both $35 a bottle and $40 a bottle) and its a lovely, lovely champagne. Could be hard to find though.

RobInAustin, I've had some Schramsberg that I thought was FABULOUS, so I'm not surprised it won a taste test. I think it was a '92..? Not sure, but outstanding stuff.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Just purchased a bottle of, "96" Dom at Sam's Club for $88.87 plus [6] Roderers Anderson Valley Brut at $16.87 per bottle for a NY Eve Toast.

Wasn't considering the Dom but price was reasonable and have special occasion coming soon.

Irwin

After reading this thread then seeing it at Costco for ~ $89, we did the same thing. We had it for New Years Eve and it was very good. I don't know if I'd pay $150 for it but it was well worth $89!

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

just for some geographic perspective, here in Texas, the wholesale cost of Dom is $82 best deal.