• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caviar for New Year's Eve

jml3

If you do want to splurge, Arrowine has the primo Russian stuff. They say it's DNA tested at both origin and destination to make sure no one tries any funny business. Personally, I'd rather spend that kind of stupid money in the wine section. But to each their own.

Beluga:  1 oz....$149.99 ea.

2 oz....$299.99 ea.

4 oz....$599.99 ea.

Osetra:  1 oz....$79.99ea.

2 oz....$149.99 ea.

4 oz....$299.99 ea.

Sevruga: 1 oz....$69.99 ea.

2 oz....$139.99 ea.

4 oz....$279.99 ea.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

I dig caviar, but I just don't get it. I like the best caviar like I like the best lox. But I ain't paying doobage prices for it. Can someone explain it to me?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Let me encourage you or anyone to order domestic caviar from the excellent purveyor called Kelley's Katch in Savannah, Tennessee. They sell paddlefish caviar and also have recently added hackleback sturgeon caviar, although I see that currently that is out of stock. That's okay, because the paddlefish is better anyway. Paddlefish caviar is quite similar to sevruga, and Kelley's Katch sells it for about 10 dollars an ounce, a small fraction of what you'll pay for sevruga. Visit their website HERE. You should be in plenty of time to get it for NYE. It's wonderful, and it's inexpensive enough that you can have a simply obscene indulgence; I mean you can practically fill the bathtub with the stuff and have money left for a couple of bottles of Bollinger. They ship overnight for $25, which still adds up to a bargain. Not connected to them at all; a repeat and more than satisfied customer.

I dig caviar, but I just don't get it. I like the best caviar like I like the best lox. But I ain't paying doobage prices for it. Can someone explain it to me?

I too dig caviar but don't get a big-deal fuss about it - probably due to eating it too much and too often before I relocated to the US of A. For the cost-conscious in you, comfort yourself by the knowledge that it is, in fact, high-protein, good-for-you, Olympic-athlete kind of food.

Resident Twizzlebum