• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flatbreads

Suvir Saran

What tarka (perfumed oil/tempered oil) do you add to your Dhoklas?

Since the thread is back up, and at the risk of killing it again (don't you hate it when you have the last post?), what kinds of tarkas do you recomend with Dhoklas?

I had an idea for Dhokla batter the other day. I don't know if it's inspired or insipid, but I thought about using it to make a tamale-like dish. Spread some batter on a banana leaf, then put some kind of savory filling, wrap it up and steam until done. I probably should practice my basic Indian cooking before taking liberties, but what do you think? Any possibilities or is the thought just horrifying?

Also, I've had Roti Prata at an Indonesian restaurant and enjoyed it very much. I haven't found a recipe for it though, but from the descriptions, it seems very similar to Paratha. And Prata seems like it could be a derivation of Paratha, I was wondering if anyone knew the relationship between two, if there is any?

What tarka (perfumed oil/tempered oil) do you add to your Dhoklas?

Since the thread is back up, and at the risk of killing it again (don't you hate it when you have the last post?), what kinds of tarkas do you recomend with Dhoklas?

I usually use some canola, sesame seeds or mustards seeds or both and curry leaves, asafetida, green chili and dessicated coconut at times. Also red chili powder, but make sure it is handled with great care. It burns very quickly. Chopped fresh cilantro is essentail for Dhokla.

I had an idea for Dhokla batter the other day.  I don't know if it's inspired or insipid, but I thought about using it to make a tamale-like dish.  Spread some batter on a banana leaf, then put some kind of savory filling, wrap it up and steam until done.  I probably should practice my basic Indian cooking before taking liberties, but what do you think?  Any possibilities or is the thought just horrifying?

Sounds like a great idea.... Try it and share a recipe. I would love to hear more... Practice makes perfect.. or at least near perfect... And this could be your way of practicing both Indian cooking and something new. :wink:

The thought is far from horrifying. :smile:

Also, I've had Roti Prata at an Indonesian restaurant and enjoyed it very much.  I haven't found a recipe for it though, but from the descriptions, it seems very similar to Paratha.  And Prata seems like it could be a derivation of Paratha, I was wondering if anyone knew the relationship between two, if there is any?

Yes prata is from paratha. It went from India to Indonesia and also to Malaysia and Thailand. You can find some form of Indian flatbreads in all these countries.

What a wonderful thread....I missed it first time out.  Had planned to make Laurie Colwin's gingerbread this afternoon (and still will!) but I'm going to see if I have any whole wheat flour so I can make a run at some chappatis.

Thanks all, and especially Suvir for his evocative and helpful advice.

Come to think of it, it the last couple of months I've been active on eGullet, I haven't seen much from bread bakers, whatever the ethnicity or specialty.  You must live closer to good bread than we do!

If you need recipes, please PM me.. .and I shall be happy to give you as many as you want. I have several recipes for Indian flat breads... plain (griddle baked), stuffed (with many different stuffings) and also deep fried or pan fried.

You are always far too kind to me. Thanks!

I hope the recipes will make you just as happy. I am sorry that you are not able to get good bread where you are. If it makes you any happier, I too miss good home made Indian bread in NYC.... I always have to make it for myself or go to a private home to have some of the finest examples of these home breads. :smile:

• 1 month later...
Besan Ke Parathe

Serves 6-8

Panditji would make these upon my fathers request some Sunday mornings for brunch.  When this happened, I remember feeling very lucky, since this  flatbread is one of my most favorite one.  I also loved those mornings as I enjoyed being able to feast on large servings of butter.  Indian food is very light and very nutritionally sound.  For the most part that is.  Contrary to popular belief there is very little fat in our food.  Having been created under the umbrella of Ayurvedic cooking, Indian food has very deep roots in food science and history.  This is a hearty, crunchy and crisp bread that tastes sumptuous and fulfilling by itself or with yogurt.  This flatbread gets really better with butter on it… it drinks a lot of butter since chickpea flour becomes a sponge.  It will get better with the more you put.  Spread as much as you are comfortable with, or none. 

And so I have made my first parathe (is the word singular or plural?).

Had no trouble with the dough but really wasn't sure about the folding - the cone shape and then the flattening - so I did it as best I could without any pictures to guide me. After folding I ended up with a wedge-shaped piece of dough - was this right? I tucked it back into a circular shape and then just before it went into the pan, rolled it out once again to about a 5 inch circle (mind you, it wasn't all that circular - that needs more practice).

The first ones were not cooked right. I have a new stove - just two days old and am not yet used to it so my pan was much too hot and so they burned before they cooked. But I adjusted and adjusted and the last two were crispy and tasty but I have no clue if I actually made what anyone else would consider a parathe. When I tore one it was quite apparent that there were two very thin layers of dough - like a pita bread but much, much thinner. I would best describe my finished product as a crisp, thin pancake. Not quite as crisp as potato crisps but close.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

And so I have made my first parathe (is the word singular or plural?).

Had no trouble with the dough but really wasn't sure about the folding - the cone shape and then the flattening - so I did it as best I could without any pictures to guide me.  After folding I ended up with a wedge-shaped piece of dough - was this right?  I tucked it back into a circular shape and then just before it went into the pan, rolled it out once again to about a 5 inch circle (mind you, it wasn't all that circular - that needs more practice).

The first ones were not cooked right.  I have a new stove - just two days old and am not yet used to it so my pan was much too hot and so they burned before they cooked.  But I adjusted and adjusted and the last two were crispy and tasty but I have no clue if I actually made what anyone else would consider a parathe.  When I tore one it was quite apparent that there were two very thin layers of dough - like a pita bread but much, much thinner.  I would best describe my finished product as a crisp, thin pancake.  Not quite as crisp as potato crisps but close.

Paratha is singular. Parathas or Parathe (in Hindi) is plural.

You can make the wedge shape into a round. And then roll. You had great success with Chapaties. I am sure you will become a pro at parathas. They are much easier to make.

Good parathas are supposed to be crisp. Very close to what a scallion pancake is like.

Will see what I can do about getting pics for you of the technique. Will try my best.. make no promises though.

Anna, have you tried the Makayee Kee Pooriyaan (Fluffy Cornmeal Pooris) recipe? Scroll above.. the recipe is there for you to play with.

Delicious and easy... especially since you are an expert with chapattis.

The Dane would enjoy them with the chicken you made successfully.

What Paratha recipe were you following?

Do you mind sharing? I will know better why you got a wedge. Many make parathas as triangles or even squares... This keeps people from losing interest if they cannot learn how to make rounds.

A few minutes of patient effort is all I tell my students as being the key to learning how to roll. After that, you become lifelong experts at rolling flatbreads.

Anna, have you tried the Makayee Kee Pooriyaan (Fluffy Cornmeal Pooris) recipe? Scroll above.. the recipe is there for you to play with.

Delicious and easy... especially since you are an expert with chapattis.

The Dane would enjoy them with the chicken you made successfully.

What Paratha recipe were you following?

Do you mind sharing?  I will know better why you got a wedge.  Many make parathas as triangles or even squares... This keeps people from losing interest if they cannot learn how to make rounds.

A few minutes of patient effort is all I tell my students as being the key to learning how to roll.  After that, you become lifelong experts at rolling flatbreads.

Not yet tried the Makayee Kee Pooriyaan.

I used your recipe, as posted on this thread, Suvir:

Besan Ke Parathe

Serves 6-8

1 cup atta (whole wheat flour)

pinch of garam masala

salt to taste

1 tablespoon ghee

1/2 cup besan (chickpea flour)

1/2 cup chopped cilantro

3 hot green chilies, finely chopped

1 medium red onion, very finely chopped

oil for shallow frying flatbread

1. Sift the flour, garam masala, and salt together.

2. Rub the ghee into the sifted flour, making the flour seem like very fine cornmeal.

3. Add the remainder of the ingredients into the flour and mix well.

4. Knead the dough with water for 5-7 minutes using the heal of your hands. The dough should be moist, soft and not sticky.

5. Cover the dough for 20 minutes with a wet towel and let it rest.

6. Take small balls of this dough, roll into 5-6 inch diameter circles. Rub a little oil onto each circle, spread it evenly over the surface of each chapatti. Now take a small knife, and from the center of the circle going towards the diameter, make a cut on the chapatti. Start rolling the chapatti onto itself as you would form a cone. Once the cone is formed, hold it as such on your left hand and with the right hand press it into a squashed round. Smoothen the ends of the round and set aside on a plate.

7. Repeat this till all your dough has been used.

8. Heat a heavy griddle or frying pan over med heat.

9. Roll the rounds into 5-6 inch diameter chapattis.

10. Place the chapattis on the griddle, once the top part looks opaque, flip the chapatti to start cooking the other side. After a minute take a little canola in a spoon, spread it over the side facing you and flip it for shallow frying. The chappati will start to sizzle some, keep pressing the chapatti from the top. This ensures even browning and makes the paratha crisp. Rub some oil to this other side now and flip and do the same.

11. Fry the paratha till it is a nice crisp golden color and immediately rub some butter onto it.

12. Serve hot with yogurt and chutneys

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna,

Thanks for posting the recipe. After you have made a cone (wedge), you flatten it into a round piece of dough. And it is that which you roll into a round.

It is easy to roll as a round once you do that.

These are my favorite parathas.

You have chickpea flour? WOW! You must have gone Indian grocery shopping I presume.:smile:

Good parathas are supposed to be crisp.  Very close to what a scallion pancake is like.

Will see what I can do about getting pics for you of the technique.  Will try my best.. make no promises though.

The scallion pancake is a good way to describe them - in fact that was the first thing that came to my mind but these were a little crisper.

Pictures on the folding technique would be awesome but I know it's not easy. The pictures that is not necessarily the technique!

Never wanted a digital camera before egullet but now would like one so I could post my efforts and get critiqued!

Thank you.

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna,

Thanks for posting  the recipe.  After you have made a cone (wedge), you flatten it into a round piece of dough.  And it is that which you roll into a round.

It is easy to roll as a round once you do that.

These are my favorite parathas.

You have chickpea flour?  WOW!  You must have gone Indian grocery shopping I presume.:smile:

So it sounds as if I did it right.

No. No Indian grocery shopping yet. I can get chickpea flour in a bulk food store and have had it since before the holidays. Car still out of service as they search for stalling problem. :sad:

My 2004 eG Blog