• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tangerine desserts, ideas?

aidensnd2

How about a tangerine flavored cake or cookie as a component?

Quite a few years ago, a Martha Stewart cookbook had a tangerine mousse recipe that was the reason I bought the cookbook. I never did make the mousse, but I've never forgotten it, and it's on my mental things-to-do list.

Tangerine sherbet?

It might not be what you're looking for, but my personal favorite citrus dessert is Marcel Desaulnier's citrus squares with white chocolate icing from his Celebrate With Chocolate, which includes 1/4C orange zest and 1T lime zest. The recipe calls for 2/3C lemon juice, but I always use 1/2 cup lemon juice and make up the difference with orange juice. So, so, good.

Edited by Patrick S (log)

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

tangerine cheesecake

tangerine poundcake

candied tangerine peel

tangerine charlotte

tangerine creme brulée

I'd say anywhere you'd use oranges or lemons, you could use tangerines or mandarins. Go wild!

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

The Japanese and Chinese have a tinned dessert: almond jelly with tangerine slices, sort of their version of fruit cocktail. It is light, refreshing and delicious.

Or try a tangerine poppyseed cake, or a tangerine banana nut bread, with a bit of chinese five-spice thrown in for a nice twist.

Nigella Lawson has a great flourless cake made from clementines. I tried it last year and loved it. Very dense and moist... The interesting thing about this cake is that you boil the clementines and puree the whole fruit... skin and all, before adding to the mix.

Here's a link to her recipe.

raquel

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe -Roy Batty

The current issue of Martha Stewart Living actually has several orange and tangerine desserts, including marmalades and cakes.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

my personal preference in orange desserts is to have them fresh and never cooked. pate sucre tart crust, sweetened mascarpone, and segmented tangerines, possibly tossed in a vanilla bean syrup. keeps it bright, clean and heavenly. I do the same with blood orange, and grapefruit segments

I also usually do it to order, when I'm preparing them in restaurants. retail bakery is another matter....

also, tangerine sorbet is one of my favorites....

Melissa McKinney

Chef/Owner Criollo Bakery

mel@criollobakery.com

The Epicurious site has a newly posted recipe for an Ambrosia cake with oranges in the filling. I'm thinking of making it this week, it looks very good. It was mentioned in the Slate article where the author cooks an entire meal from each of five or so cooking magazines.

The latest issue of Fine Cooking has a recipe for sliced fresh oranges with a caramel sauce that looks delicious. I'm sure clementines would work well too.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden