• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

After Ann

Robin Shuster

Perhaps the Bonaparte Bread in Savage Mill?  It doesn't have the unusual (to us) European cakes and pastries, but it does do lovely French pastries and breads.

I've only been to Bonaparte in Savage Mill once and I had a very bad croissant there. I was somewhat surprised because the Bonaparte in Fells Point routinely turns out good croissants. Perhaps it was an aberration but the nicer digs, better service, et al, leads me to believe that they are focusing on the Fells Point location.

I've only been to Bonaparte in Savage Mill once and I had a very bad croissant there.  I was somewhat surprised because the Bonaparte in Fells Point routinely turns out good croissants.  Perhaps it was an aberration but the nicer digs, better service, et al, leads me to believe that they are focusing on the Fells Point location.

How sad! Bonaparte was my first introduction to good French pastry and breads, and I'd hate to think they pastries are become subpar. Maybe moving the pastry making to Fells Point has hurt the Savage shop. I'm going to have to make a special trip out that way, and see how it's changed.

Swiss Bakery in Burke-a bit far out for urbanites, but worth it, for the zopf & pretzel rolls, & swiss army rye bread-I don't love cake as much as I do bread, but I've been assured that the cake I got from them was wonderful, I just wish I lived closer...